Duke4.net Forums: Favorite/Least favorite levels by episode - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite/Least favorite levels by episode  "Hey look another one of these"

User is online   Ninety-Six 

We've all kinda seen this dance before. These threads come and go. Favorite levels, favorite episodes...

But have we seen favorite and least favorite levels by episode? As in, the favorites and least favorites from each, including addons? (I mean, probably, but I haven't seen it yet...)

Explanations are nice but of course I can't force anything:

L.A. Meltdown
Favorite level: Hollywood Holocaust
Spoiler

Least favorite level: uh...Death Row because of that one secret that doesn't like to tag?
Spoiler

Lunar Apocalypse
Favorite level: Dead tie between Lunar Reactor and Dark Side
Spoiler

Least favorite level: Fusion Station
Spoiler

Shrapnel City
Favorite Level: Hotel Hell
Spoiler

Least favorite level: Probably a tie between Farenheit and Freeway
Spoiler

Duke it Out in D.C.
Favorite Level: Capitol Punishment
Spoiler

Least favorite level: Probably Top Secret
Spoiler

The Birth
Favorite Level: Duke-Burger
Spoiler

Least favorite level: Babe Land
Spoiler

Plug N' Pray
Favorite Level: Gates Motel
Spoiler

Least favorite level: Nightmare Zone
Spoiler

Life's a Beach
Favorite Level: Carribbean Catastrophe
Spoiler

Least Favorite Level: Lost Lagoon
Spoiler

Alien World Order
Favorite Level: High Times
Spoiler

Least favorite level: Hollywood Inferno
Spoiler

Nuclear Winter
Favorite Level: Santa's Corporate HQ
Spoiler

Least favorite level: The Backdoor
Spoiler

User is online   Phredreeke 

Sorry to be a party pooper

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Also it's none of your business.

User is offline   NNC 

E1:
Fav: All of them but Launch Facility
Least: Launch Facility

E2:
Fav: Dark Side (with Fusion Station close second)
Least: the secret levels and Overlord

E3:
Fav: LA Rumble and Freeway tied
Least: Many of them honestly, but Tier Drops and Stadium are even lower than the rest

E4:
Fav: Derelict
Least: Babe Land (at least XXX Stacy looks authentic Duke)

E5:
Fav: Golden Fuckin' Carnage (with Mirage Barrage at second)
Least: Again, the secret and the boss levels

DukeDC:
Fav: Nuked Files (appreciate Smothsonian for what it is as well)
Least: I'm not a big fan of this episode overall, but nothing stands out as terrible

Caribbean:
Fav: Alien Remains (this looks like a map Allen Blum should have made)
Least: that stinker theme park again (boy, these kind of maps fit terribly to Duke universe)

Nuclear Winter:
Fav: None
Least: All

Plug 'N' Pray:
Fav: Nightmare Zone (Ban everybody who dislike this masterpiece... even if the community become empty :rolleyes: )
Least: Wow, forgot the name of that lowly hitscanner map without theme

View PostNancsi, on 11 November 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

Least: Wow, forgot the name of that lowly hitscanner map without theme

If you mean the one with all the Battlelords (that isn't Faces of Death), that would be Alien Rendezvous.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 November 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

Also it's none of your business.

You got the red because of this being a rude and unwarranted comment mate, retaliation was quite cheap.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 12 November 2018 - 02:57 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 November 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

If you mean the one with all the Battlelords (that isn't Faces of Death), that would be Alien Rendezvous.

Yea, that was one horrible map.

View PostNancsi, on 12 November 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Yea, that was one horrible map.

Yeah...yeah it was...

I think the theme it was going for was "ground spaceport" given the centrifuge, overall usage of E2 textures, and the (admittedly cool) sequence of the alien saucer blowing up a building and descending towards the ground. Unfortunately that and the centrifuge were kind of its only setpieces, and the rest of the level was pretty haphazard in terms of enemy layout. Course it doesn't help that the Battlelords are sorta broken in Total Meltdown, making those fights even worse.

Also it commits the cardinal sin of both exits being completely locked out of each other.

User is offline   Maisth 

Darkside for me, I hardly remember any other level topping this one, I fondly remember it more for the music, though second one for me would be The Queen mainly for the music again, and the level design itself.

User is online   Phredreeke 

...I think that's the first time I heard anyone like The Queen :rolleyes:

User is offline   ReaperAA 

E1:
Favourite: Tie between Hollywood Holocaust and Red Light District
Least: Rest of E1

E2:
Favourite: Dark Side(my favourite Duke3d level) with Lunar Reactor at second place
Least: Spin Cycle (aka the washing machine level) with Fusion Station at second place

E3:
Favourite: Flood Zone with Freeway at second place. Hotel Hell is third place
Least: Fahrenheit(by a long short)

E4:
Favourite: Duke Burger with Derelict at second place
Least: Tie between Babe Land and XXX-Stacy

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 13 November 2018 - 04:51 AM

User is offline   NNC 

You don't like the amazing journey from the electric chair to the Big Bad in the mothership? I thought that was one of the most entertaining part of the game.

View PostNancsi, on 13 November 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

You don't like the amazing journey from the electric chair to the Big Bad in the mothership? I thought that was one of the most entertaining part of the game.

I suppose E1M3 and E1M4 are okayish but I absolutely hated The Abyss. It is one of my least favourite levels in Duke3d.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperAA, on 13 November 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I suppose E1M3 and E1M4 are okayish but I absolutely hated The Abyss. It is one of my least favourite levels in Duke3d.

Really? I guess that shows how drastically tastes can vary, even in a tight-knit community like this one. I love The Abyss. It's dark, moody, atmospheric, and it's a descent towards something that feels absolutely evil. I remember playing it in the 90s on my friends PC at 9:30 at night on a warm summers night and just being totally into the Duke 'verse. It's also the best boss encounter to me in the original game.

I love the entire first episode. There is no least, I find it to be a masterpiece of design and there's nothing but great moments throughout. It's the most cohesive journey Duke takes outside of Duke it out in DC.
I "like" most of episode 2, not love. It's my least favorite episode of all, tied with episode 4, though I think Episode 4 fluctuates more in terms of quality. It's got great maps, and awful maps. (I love Area 51 and Duke Burger.)
Episode 3 is probably in second place behind the first. If I had to pick a least favorite map it would be...I don't know, LA Rumble or Flood Zone. I like the idea of Flood Zone, but it just... Eh... As a kid it always frustrated me.

Favorite E1 - Hollywood Holocaust
Least E1 - Toxic Dump, I guess.

Favorite E2 - Dark Side
Least E2 - Spaceport... Maybe? I don't know, like I said the whole episode is just 'meh' to me. Maybe Warp Factor... Like the Enterprise D secret, but the rest of the map feels blah.

Favorite E3 - Hotel Hell
Least E3 - Stadium

Favorite E4 - Duke Burger
Least E4 - The Queen

Honorable mentions to Bank Roll, Tier Drops, Redlight District and Pigsty.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 November 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

Really? I guess that shows how drastically tastes can vary, even in a tight-knit community like this one. I love The Abyss. It's dark, moody, atmospheric, and it's a descent towards something that feels absolutely evil. I remember playing it in the 90s on my friends PC at 9:30 at night on a warm summers night and just being totally into the Duke 'verse. It's also the best boss encounter to me in the original game.

The spaceship area and the boss encounter is really good, but the rest of the level is just meh.

and as far as favourite to least favourite episode order is concerned, in my case it is:
E3 >>>> E1 > E2 > E4

(Call it heresy but E1 is not my favorite. I like E3 much more than the rest.)

User is offline   NNC 

E1 > E2 > E4 > E3 for me...

View PostKKAP123, on 02 December 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Not many people seem to like The Queen. I thought it was great!

I noticed that too. It's not my favorite level by any means, but I certainly don't have any issue with it.

User is offline   NNC 

It felt like a Milo Casali map with those symmetric circular areas. I don't like it because it's unrelatable, I never felt I'm being somewhere other than just a made up testing ground with an unnecessary repeat. The bossfight is amazing though.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I feel my tastes have changed over the years, so I'll give this another shot.

Note these rankings are based on playing with the Damn, I'm Good difficulty, so mileage may vary based on difficulty levels and playstyle.

E1:
Favorite: Wait, I have to choose? I think I have to go with The Abyss. As far as levels go, it's one of the most detailed, atmospheric, and mysterious. It leaves a lot to the imagination.Least: Faces of Death, because we never get to see it outside of multiplayer or level warping.
E2:
Favorite: Easily Dark Side without a question in my mind. It's one of the largest and longest levels in the episode, but the choice of music combined with the atmosphere make this a satisfying playthrough. Surprisingly, the subway rides add to the tension as well.
Least: A while back, I ranked Fusion Station as my least favorite level from this episode. But given a second thought, I have to rank Overlord as the worst. You get the Jetpack really early on in E2, and so you can literally just bypass 95% of the level and go straight to the boss fight. That's really poor design in my opinion.

E3:
Favorite: Hotel Hell is a map with excellent pacing in terms of combat and flow, gradually ramping up in difficulty towards the end of the map. It's the strongest and most complete map of the episode with plenty of areas to explore. It could easily have been a bigger map.
Least: Flood Zone is just an irritating level combat-wise, especially on the higher difficulty where Battlelord Jr's are strewn across the map in inconvenient locations. Certainly not a badly designed map, but the combat drags down the exploration factor of it, and frankly having half the level underwater is a bit gimmicky.

E4:
Favorite: Shop 'n' Bag - There's something oddly satisfying about demolishing a grocery store, and despite a few odd design choices (what's with the pistons at the end of the map?) it's probably one of the most fun maps in the episode.
Least: Derelict - I dread playing this map anytime I run through episode 4. It's certainly one of the most complex and visually impressive maps in the game, but it's extremely difficult to the point of tedium, and there's very little in the way of ammo pickups to work with. Really not fun to play at all.

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 23 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Derelict is awesome and if you don't like it you're a pussy. Fusion Station is also awesome, the second best level in episode 2.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 13 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options