Duke4.net Forums: Anyone need original music? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone need original music?  "Music in the 3D Realms Style"

User is offline   Mitchell F 

As dorky as it sounds, the thing that originally got me interested in learning to make digital music was the Duke 3D soundtrack by Robert Prince and Lee Jackson.. I've been at it for several years and looking for a place to use some of my tracks. I've noticed some in the modding community using pre-existing music (which there's nothing wrong with if that's what you want) and I thought someone might want to collab on a mod or something.

I've put two samples here, one dark and foreboding track first (in the spirit of "Gotham" or "Plasma") and a more lively, action-packed one around the 2:55 mark.

If you get an error trying to play the video then put the address "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8qC955UBQ0" in your search bar.

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

User is offline   Maisth 

I don't think I understand very well, you are saying you are willing to make custom music for maps or mods for free or paid?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You show promise, but as pointed out by Brownfarted, the two samples are very discordant and jarring. You can write competent song structure, you just need to figure out how to make things catchy or melodious. At the moment, it's very hard on the ears.

Your style reminds me of the soundtrack from Gateworld, in that rather than being musical, it's more like a bunch of random sounds. Of course, this kind of dissonant cacophony does have its uses...it's something I would expect to hear in a weird, surreal horror game, or an avant garde album.

Also, I don't know if it's intentional, but the mix sounds really lo-fi. The instruments are muddy and all in the center. You can try panning sounds in different positions to create a wider and more interesting soundscape. I also think some instrument variety would be helpful, as sounds with the same frequencies will clash too much when played together.

This post has been edited by The Ultimate Doomer: 23 October 2018 - 01:53 AM

View Postbrownfarted, on 22 October 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Ouch!

This post has been edited by Mitchell F: 23 October 2018 - 11:39 PM

View PostJimmy 4k, on 22 October 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

You show promise, but as pointed out by Brownfarted, the two samples are very discordant and jarring. You can write competent song structure, you just need to figure out how to make things catchy or melodious. At the moment, it's very hard on the ears.

Well I appreciate the feedback, it's valuable even if nobody's interested. Thanks!

And to the other gentleman, no it would be for free just cause I like doing it.

This post has been edited by Mitchell F: 23 October 2018 - 11:41 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I wouldn't take it personally, there's not many active projects going on at the moment. This is a very small community compared to Doom or something. If you're serious about this then my suggestion is keep working hard and make some good tunes that go well with your favourite usermaps. Then release them for free in the Community Stockpile thread. If your tunes get well received then maybe later someone will take you up on it

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options