Duke4.net Forums: Custom EDuke32 launcher? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom EDuke32 launcher?

User is offline   Sanek 

Is there a easy way to make a custom launcher for your Eduke32 project? Like the one for Ion Maiden, but for Duke3D port (and 32 bit)? There's a couple of things that I didn't need in the project of mine, such as polymer and autoload functions, as well as picture on the left side. I don't need to turn these functions off the port itself, just hide it so you can't turn it on. And no, telling players to disable the polymer doesn't sound like a solution.

I know that there's a way to make a custom launcher. In fact, one very well-known author did this a couple of times, and he knows ho to make it. But I just want to ask about it directly and not try to get what I want in a way that port's makers don't like or approve (unless there's no other option). I guess many of you who make mods would like to have a custom launcher, isn't it?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I'm also interested on this since I saw it in DNF 2013. It can't be something related with CON because it starts before compiling the files, so maybe it's hardcoded inside EDuke32.

View PostSanek, on 09 October 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

And no, telling players to disable the polymer doesn't sound like a solution.
You can use this to check what rendering mode is being used: https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Rendmode

And if its value is 4, then you can show an image or text on screen suggesting not to use Polymer. Is not a great solution, but maybe you can avoid some people to use it.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 10 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

All custom "launchers" use Resource Hacker to edit the GUI manifest data embedded in the exe to delete widgets and change window sizes.

User is offline   Sanek 

So...there's nothing wrong with hacking the launcher?

View PostHendricks266, on 10 October 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

All custom "launchers" use Resource Hacker to edit the GUI manifest data embedded in the exe to delete widgets and change window sizes.

Might be worth moving the splash art out into a external file so its easier for people to edit.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSanek, on 11 October 2018 - 02:40 AM, said:

So...there's nothing wrong with hacking the launcher?

As long as your mod can still run perfectly if you drop in an unmodified eduke32.exe, I can't find any fault with hacking the startup window.

Once you start demanding to remove items from the menu to handicap protect users from their own curiosity, we'll have a problem.

View Posticecoldduke, on 11 October 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

Might be worth moving the splash art out into a external file so its easier for people to edit.

The proper thing to do is provide modding capabilities to customize things like this without needing to touch the exe or any of the materials that come with it, at all.

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, like grabbag.ogg in the main folder will automatically play instead of the original inside the GRP file. Do that for menu and title screens. No defs needed.

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options