Duke4.net Forums: [Rerelease] Block Mind (some problems fixed) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Rerelease] Block Mind (some problems fixed)

So in the original map there was a small conveyor-thingy which didn't work with newer versions of EDuke, so I just took it out. Also fixed one environmental instakill-bug.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Steambull 

[DISMISSED]

This post has been edited by Steambull: 24 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

(Sorry for double post, I was editing a previous one and clicked on something)
Hi, I'm usually not looking forward to "gimmick" maps but I decided to give this a try. The gameplay and design was fine (except for shading all 4 walls of a room the same) at first, then I encountered this area: https://drive.google...OIBskps6WNhmhCw

I was wondering if this is serious, or am I missing something? There were no new textures included in the DL.

This post has been edited by Steambull: 24 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostSteambull, on 24 October 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

then I encountered this area: https://drive.google...OIBskps6WNhmhCw

I was wondering if this is serious, or am I missing something? There were no new textures included in the DL.

i've been kicking rocks around the community for a couple days, and that texture has always had a negative stigma, but nobody can ever really explain why.
Lazy isn't a real answer because it takes barely any additional effort to use a different texture, align it, and all that.

Maybe somebody can break it down for me.

View PostForge, on 24 October 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

i've been kicking rocks around the community for a couple days, and that texture has always had a negative stigma, but nobody can ever really explain why.
Lazy isn't a real answer because it takes barely any additional effort to use a different texture, align it, and all that.

Maybe somebody can break it down for me.

I won't try to explain it, but to me it's pretty much the ugliest texture ever and screams "undone." Should never appear in a map, and in this case I was really confused because the earlier parts have way better design in general, the default texture isn't even aligned properly in the screenshot.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostForge, on 24 October 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

I don't believe it's supposed to be used. In fact, it hasn't been in stock DN3D. I believe it's just there because there needs to be a default texture.

It's also been a joke since forever. I remember MRCK betting noone could find a use for it.

Joke's on him, I guess.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Yes. It's ugly. There are several ugly textures.
Yep. Something had to be the default. But somebody went through the trouble of actually giving it a brick texture instead of leaving it a flat one-color pastel.

I've seen it used decently in a couple user-made maps.
I've used it once or twice as well (sparingly).

The only issue I've ever seen with it are those really bad user maps from '96-'98 when everyone and their kid brother tried to make something & it was used to texture everything like they were painting walls by throwing open buckets of primer at them.
Any texture used in huge swaths without proper trimming or aligning screams, 'unfinished'.

I agree that this section of map stands out as poorly done compared to the rest, but that texture isn't the only reason for that. It's a cheap 'maze' with flat, blocky architecture, no detailing or shading to speak of, and several textures just slapped on it. (but I believe it was done like that on purpose, because it's supposed to be a drunken dream)

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Maisth 

That brick and STARTAN2 could team up to make the "best" texture ever

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostForge, on 24 October 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Yep. Something had to be the default. But somebody went through the trouble of actually giving it a brick texture instead of leaving it a flat one-color pastel.

It has to look like something, or else you wouldn't be able to see perspective, height, etc before actually texturing. In default size the texture's height is 8 pg-ups so that helps building too. There could be a better default texture to help building layout/architecture but I guess they deemed it sufficient and that's all the texture is for really.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMetHy, on 25 October 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

It has to look like something, or else you wouldn't be able to see perspective, height, etc before actually texturing. In default size the texture's height is 8 pg-ups so that helps building too. There could be a better default texture to help building layout/architecture but I guess they deemed it sufficient and that's all the texture is for really.

Makes sense.
Still think the negative stigma is a bit out of proportion though. My first reaction is the same as Steambull's, but sometimes intent should be considered. It's not always lazy newb mapping.

User is offline   Mark 

There are modders out here that replace that with a solid color with outline to use it as a grid for panning textures. So when the time comes to add the final texture its already aligned.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options