• Attached Image: duke0028.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   MC84 

That sprite construction with the vents and fans looks awesome; nice job

View Postconoklast, on 02 October 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

That sprite construction with the vents and fans looks awesome; nice job

Danke!

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I enjoyed your previous map a lot, so I'm going to play this one when I have time. :rolleyes:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I really like the texture selection and palette usage in some of the screenshots you've posted.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I could only get halfway before it fatally crashed. Too many pig corpses in the pig room broke eDuke.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 03 October 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

I could only get halfway before it fatally crashed. Too many pig corpses in the pig room broke eDuke.

The map starts with just under 4000 sprites, and Eduke32 has a sprite limit of 16384. So, that's strange if it's actually exceeding the sprite limit. You should post your eduke32.log and mention if you are using mods which would increase the number of sprites spawned. My guess is the crash was caused by something else.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 October 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

The map starts with just under 4000 sprites, and Eduke32 has a sprite limit of 16384. So, that's strange if it's actually exceeding the sprite limit. You should post your eduke32.log and mention if you are using mods which would increase the number of sprites spawned. My guess is the crash was caused by something else.

I should have rephrased. Too many pig corpses onscreen at once.

The eDuke log will be useless. It was a lock-up crash. I had to kill the process to escape.

View PostNinety-Six, on 03 October 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

I should have rephrased. Too many pig corpses onscreen at once.

The eDuke log will be useless. It was a lock-up crash. I had to kill the process to escape.

That's puzzling - I blew the hordes up with RPG while using cheats, and even the tons of simultaneous body parts didn't crash my Duke.

View PostDannyFromNewOrleans, on 03 October 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

That's puzzling - I blew the hordes up with RPG while using cheats, and even the tons of simultaneous body parts didn't crash my Duke.

I think it's the fact that I couldn't blow them up is what killed it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If you had a lock-up crash it may have had nothing to do with this map at all. The presence of lots of pigcop corpses could have been a coincidence. Even if you had too many sprites onscreen to render at once, the normal behavior is for some of them to simply not be rendered. I have made this happen recently in a different map with no crash.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 October 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

If you had a lock-up crash it may have had nothing to do with this map at all. The presence of lots of pigcop corpses could have been a coincidence. Even if you had too many sprites onscreen to render at once, the normal behavior is for some of them to simply not be rendered. I have made this happen recently in a different map with no crash.

All I know is that when I tried to leave, I walked past the pile of corpses, the frame rate exponentially dropped until it hit literally zero, at which point it stopped moving altogether. Even the MIDI playback broke, becoming an infinite drone.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

anybody actually finish this?
i'm stuck at the fast conveyor and can't get to the last switch in the red key areas
steroids and strafing still aren't enough to overcome it. ceiling's too low to jump.

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 October 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostForge, on 04 October 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

i'm stuck at the fast conveyor and can't get to the last switch in the red key areas
steroids and strafing still aren't enough to overcome it. ceiling's too low to jump.

It is the Steroids. It's a bit finicky to hit it.

View PostForge, on 04 October 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

That's weird, steroids should work fine...actually they should give more than enough speed to get to the switch very easily, if you run straight towards the switch.

EDIT: I got scared, so I checked it again on my Duke, and it was a breeze to get to the switch with steroids - like super-easy :3. The conveyor is just a tiny bit too fast for strafing along it without pills.

This post has been edited by DannyFromNewOrleans: 05 October 2018 - 05:22 AM

User is offline   Forge 

what version are you using. I have r6945 and I can't beat the conveyor at all. Zero gain; I get pushed back immediately.

View PostForge, on 05 October 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

what version are you using. I have r6945 and I can't beat the conveyor at all. Zero gain; I get pushed back immediately.

I have r5050, and the map got also tested with r5811 (worked well).

EDIT: Fug me, that's the problem - I tried it on r6989 and it doesn't work.

This post has been edited by DannyFromNewOrleans: 05 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

FWIW the one I used for this was r6428.

User is offline   Forge 

narrow down the version that made the change and file a bug report.

i'd do it for you, but I have to troubleshoot some electrical issues in my Aunt's travel trailer today. (in the rain - hopefully it'll be inside instead of underneath)

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I remember something about conveyor belts being changed and then restored again as of a few months ago. This map must have been developed during the window of time where the conveyors had been changed. The point is, current behavior is considered correct, so the map will need to be adjusted to work with it.

In my opinion, it's not wise to make the completion of a map depend on gimmicks like that which are easily broken. Because, you know, they tend to get broken from time to time.

User is offline   Forge 

so i cheated & clipped to finish this, because I'm not going to back-pedal the snap-shot I have installed in my main duke3d directory.

Some of the puzzles and rooms were interesting, some were redundant or mundane. The firefights starting feeling pretty repetitive after awhile; about that only thing that kept it engaging was the stingy distribution of healing items and heavy weapon ammo. The texture work and shading were well done for the most part. The general layout and teleporting around was executed well. Most of these kinds of maps are extremely annoying, but this one wasn't. The sprite-work was alright - some of it should have been non-blocking, but it wasn't too much of a hindrance. The thing I found lacking was the minimal sector detailing. Just about every room, hallway, location, and quite a bit of the structures were squared off with 45 or 90 degree angles. It kinda robbed the depth of the atmosphere.
Overall it was enjoyable. I'd probably play it again if the conveyor were fixed.

This post has been edited by Forge: 05 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

Thnx for feedbacks. I didn't even know how insanely many updates EDuke gets - I've just been using an old version for a really long time. I'll change the conveyor soon enough, and also clean out a little environmental hazard that just butchers Duke without warning....

User is offline   Forge 

There's no way to know when, or if, an effect gets changed unless there's a public service announcement, or there's a short blurb in the changelog. Half the time things are altered unintentionally and go unnoticed for years.
To say, "don't use effects because they may break later" isn't a good philosophy.
If an effect worked in vanilla Duke3d, the eduke32 maintainers do their best to keep true to the original

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 October 2018 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Not too long before HHR was released I noticed a speed change in the conveyor belt. I mentioned it to the devs but unfortunately it didn't get fixed until shortly after HHR got released. So the latest change, which brought it back to normal, was made in the fall of last year.

A bit late, but i really enjoyed this map!
Everything is well connected, It is a crazy mix of fantasy and many different situations, is rare to see something similar, i can't even find the words to say how funny is to play it, and i won't spoil doing it :), but it is like one of those movies like Fast and Furious, that does not contain only simple action, it has something beyond this, that imho can satisfy many users with different opinions!

Btw, i found no problems, and surprise surpise, i used the old eduke 20140907-4593 64bit , it worked smoothly until the end with this map, no steroids used Posted Image, i forgot to use them lol.
(yes, i use version 4593 as much i can, imo is so stable, ofc it has some problems like no trasparent force fields, lack of Overlord cutscene and, obviously, the latest models, but it is so smooooth!Posted Image)

User is offline   jkas789 

Probably necroing this thread but I loved this map. (≧◡≦) ♡

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options