Duke4.net Forums: Adding hi-rez UI bar to eduke32 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding hi-rez UI bar to eduke32

User is offline   agris 

Hey all, I'm playing through the original Duke Nukem 3D campaign with eduke32 and the Megaton Edition as the source files. I've added a few bells and whistles from the HRP (but not textures) such as rotating voxel objects, higher quality music, and Fixes for Duke Nukem 3D v1.21. I've got all the packages playing well together, except I can't figure out how to use this component.

> Widescreen statusbar
Fox made a really nice widescreen statusbar for the game. I improved a few pixels here
and there and increased its width a bit to cover higher screen resolutions.

Which is just "tiles\2462.png". I've got all the three files from HRP merged and in my autoload dir, but I don't know how to integrate that png into the UI selection system that eduke32 uses. Helpz!

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

This specific tile will never work with the HRP since it uses tilefromtexture. It's supposed to replace the 8-bit image and cannot be used as a highres patch.

And before you ask: AFAIK there is no such thing as a widescreen statusbar in highres, and I am not sure if it is possible to implement such a thing without hacks (I think they did that in Megaton Edition back then). You can make a highres statusbar as wide as you want, but it would always have the dimensions of the standard version IIRC.

Short version: You will only see the widescreen statusbar if you play without the HRP since it's lowres. You can't have both.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 September 2018 - 03:09 AM

User is offline   agris 

View PostNightFright, on 11 September 2018 - 02:14 AM, said:

This specific tile will never work with the HRP since it uses tilefromtexture. It's supposed to replace the 8-bit image and cannot be used as a highres patch.

And before you ask: AFAIK there is no such thing as a widescreen statusbar in highres, and I am not sure if it is possible to implement such a thing without hacks (I think they did that in Megaton Edition back then). You can make a highres statusbar as wide as you want, but it would always have the dimensions of the standard version IIRC.

Short version: You will only see the widescreen statusbar if you play without the HRP since it's lowres. You can't have both.

Sorry I wasn't clear; I'm not using the HRP, I'm using some of the files hosted by the HRP. Namely the voxel items, high quality sounds, and the v1.21 Fixes (this pack is fixes for eduke without the HRP, not for the HRP). I'm playing with the Polymost renderer. Since I'm not using the HRP, I should be able to use this widescreen status bar, no? I understand that it isn't really 'high res', just wider without aspect-ratio distorted elements.

But as you said, "you will only see the widescreen statusbar if you play without the HRP..", something must be wrong, since I'm not playing with the HRP and the widescreen status bar isn't one of the status bar options in-game.

• The Truth is in here

Using multiple mods in the autoload dir can be problematic. The voxel pack and the fixes both use duke3d.def files, if I am not mistaken. EDuke32 will only load the last duke3d.def, game.con or eduke.con in the file load list, it's not cumulative. If the voxel pack loads after the fixes, duke.def from the fixes will be ignored.

A solution would be to create a new duke3d.def file, put the contents of all the other duke3d.def files you wanna load inside, save, zip it and name the zipfile so that it's the last file loaded in autoload by alphabetical order.

And: If it works, you would just see the widescreen statusbar ingame (provided your screen size is set up correctly) right away, there wouldn't be any menu option for it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   agris 

View PostNightFright, on 11 September 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Using multiple mods in the autoload dir can be problematic. The voxel pack and the fixes both use duke3d.def files, if I am not mistaken. EDuke32 will only load the last duke3d.def, game.con or eduke.con in the file load list, it's not cumulative.

A solution would be to create a new duke3d.def file, put the contents of all the other duke3d.def files you wanna load inside, save, zip it and name the zipfile so that it's the last file loaded in autodir by alphabetical order.

And: If it works, you would just see the widescreen statusbar ingame (provided your screen size is set up correctly), there wouldn't be any menu option for it.

That's exactly what I did, it's how I merged the voxel stuff with the fixed skyboxes in the fixes file. My duke3d.def is:

// Duke3D Voxels v1.21

include duke3d_maphacks.def
include duke3d_voxels.def

// Duke3D Fixes v1.21

// Duke3D 1.3D Redfont (by SwissCM)
//include redfont13.def

// Classic Skyboxes (by Fox)
include skyboxes.def
//include skyboxes_dc.def
//include skyboxes_vaca.def

// Widescreen statusbar (by Fox)
tilefromtexture 2462 { file "tiles/2462.png" }

And within that same zip, there is a "tiles\2462.png" entity. I see the .def uses NIX convention of forward slashes, should I change it to
{ file "tiles\2462.png" }
for my windows system?

Perhaps one wrench in this is that I'm using a 16:10 resolution, not a 16:9. But the game isn't smart enough to know about the extra vertical pixels afaik, it should just care that the screen is wide enough to use 2462.png.

edit: I'm a bit unclear on how the status bar would "just load" when eduke + Megaton provides a selection of status bars to use inside the game. Wouldn't those supersede this bar? in settings.cfg should I set
hud_althud "1"
to
hud_althud "0"
? what about
hud_statusbarmode "1"
?

This post has been edited by agris: 11 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

• The Truth is in here

Syntax is correct, works for me like that. Maybe you should post your eduke32.log file so we can see what's happening when you launch the game.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

User is offline   agris 

View PostNightFright, on 11 September 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Syntax is correct, works for me like that. Maybe you should post your eduke32.log file so we can see what's happening when you launch the game.

See attached! I also added a few thoughts in the edit to my last post, in case you didn't see them.

edit: I'm an idiot, it works even with the status bar selection in eduke. I was getting tiling on the left and right side of the status bar because it was scaled to 75%... once I set the scale to 100%, it was totally fine.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by agris: 11 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options