Duke4.net Forums: TC design and organisation - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TC design and organisation  "I'm after some general pointers"

User is offline   MC84 

Hi all, I've been building maps and custom art for my TC for almost 2 years now, and I'm starting to hit a few snags.

I've been working from the AMC TC 2 mod, as I liked a lot of the extra functionality. My custom artwork has been steadily increasing and it is now starting to interfere with some of the hard-coded sprites and other in-game functionality. I realise that I could just move my art to the final tilesets so that there is no interference, but it seems inefficient to me to have a bloated .GRP file with 80 unused tilesets and then my custom tiles. I considered just inserting my artwork in the 'safe tiles' where there is no coding attached, but this seems kind of messy to me. Furthermore, my custom art will soon be interfering with the AMC TC sprites (such as weapon sprites) which will mean that the mod becomes increasingly unplayable when I wish to test my levels...

Would it be wise to use a fresh copy of eduke32 and 'transplant' the code and functionality from AMC TC (or wherever else) that I wish to use over to my mod? As great as the AMC TC is, there are plenty of extra features that I don't wish to use (ie multiple characters). How do the experienced members here go about managing/organising a TC? I just want to get this issue sorted now, before it turns into a big mess, and any general advice or pointers would be much appreciated.

I currently have ZERO .CON coding knowledge, however I'm willing to try and get my head around it so that I can organise my TC properly.

P.S. I was motivated to write this post after opening up the Alien Armageddon addon in mapster and admiring how tidy and organised all the custom art was.

This post has been edited by conoklast: 30 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I faced the same hurdle for my Quest Town project. I had to split away from the main WGR2 project but still needed it as a base. Trooper Dan was kind enough to let me do it. I wanted to go in more of an adventure game direction and use 3D models instead of sprites. So after getting all my new cons, textures, models and voices I also deleted some of the existing stuff to reduce the bloat.

It wasn't always easy to get and stay organized but I did it. There were still a few minor things I didn't get rid of like a couple of unused HUD icons for features not used. But for the most part it was a successful split.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   MC84 

Thanks for your input; yes it seems as though it's an inevitable hurdle for first-time modders; although I will probably pull my hair out trying to figure it all out, it will hopefully save me a lot of trouble down the road.

User is offline   Jblade 

To be honest I think you picked the worst TC to try and strip stuff out of :( It is ridiculously complicated compared to other mods more elegantly put together...it really depends on what exactly you're using out of the AMC TC and what you're not - I'm busy for the rest of this year unfortunately but if you're not aiming for a release soon than we can probably work together to strip out all of the stuff you don't need. let me know when the time comes.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostJblade, on 30 August 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

To be honest I think you picked the worst TC to try and strip stuff out of :unsure: It is ridiculously complicated compared to other mods more elegantly put together...it really depends on what exactly you're using out of the AMC TC and what you're not - I'm busy for the rest of this year unfortunately but if you're not aiming for a release soon than we can probably work together to strip out all of the stuff you don't need. let me know when the time comes.

Well thanks man that's very generous of you! No I'm certainly not aiming for a release soon; talk to me in 5 years :(

I think I will still try to familiarise myself with some .CON scripts anyway, as coding really is my weak hand and it's starting to hinder my ability to manage my project.

To be fair I don't expect anyone to give their time for free, so if I do get really stuck and I wish to take you up on your offer I'd be happy to pay for your efforts.

User is offline   Jblade 

I would never do it for money, don't worry about that :( it's for the love of the game; as I said just let me know when the time comes and I'll gladly help you out.

User is offline   MC84 

View PostJblade, on 30 August 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

I would never do it for money, don't worry about that :( it's for the love of the game; as I said just let me know when the time comes and I'll gladly help you out.

Thanks again - well if you don't accept money then I'll have to find another way to repay the favour. Anyway I'll message you sometime next year about it, it really depends on your schedule.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options