Duke4.net Forums: MIDI playback issue with Roland SC-D70 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MIDI playback issue with Roland SC-D70

User is offline   XxMiltenXx 

I am using a Roland SC-D70 for MIDI playback (basically a Roland SC-8820, but with digital outputs)

After playing "pizzed.mid" in Eduke32 and then "alienz.mid", the percussion track will play as if it has been pitched down. Here's a video example on how "alienz.mid" should sound, then I will switch to "pizzed.mid" and then back to "alienz.mid"

I noticed this issue only occurs when the Roland SC-D70 is in "GS Mode". If I switch it over to General MIDI 1 or 2, this issue won't occur at all. The Roland SC-55 (which only supports GS-Mode) doesn't have this issue.
I also noticed that "alienz.mid" (which contains GS sysex) does not put the device into GS-Mode even though it should?
Duke Nukem 3D Vanilla also has this issue btw, so I guess it carried over from there.

I think it could be fixed if there is a MIDI-Sysex Reset signal between the tracks.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's possible this is an issue with the SC-D70 itself. But yes, a GS reset signal would do it.

Just out of curiosity I tested it with the Roland Sound Canvas VA 1.0.6 and it shows the same isue with GS mode. With GM or GM2 it will work fine.

Anyhow, could a GS reset be implemented between songs then?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Given that the issue seems to only present itself on newer iterations of Sound Canvas modules/softsynths that emulate GS, I'm inclined to maintain it was an issue on Roland's end with not making 100% backwards compatible emulation. But I don't see an issue with adding a GS reset sysex in EDuke32 when switching MIDIs if it's easy and transparent enough to implement to get around Roland's mistake (I'm in no way on the development team, though, so someone who is will have to confirm that). But then, not a lot of people really use MIDI anymore, which is why I made my SC-55 music packs (with seamless looping). But believe me, I understand and relate to the novelty of using an actual supported device.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

For what it's worth, those MIDIs sound really good on that DC70. Not exactly the device the songs were composed for, but nevertheless the synth performs admirably. Then again, it's the legendary alienz.mid which is almost impossible to sound bad on any synth out there.

I'd like to listen to more of this, actually.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

I can make a pack recorded with the SC-D70 just like MusicallyInspired did.

Mainly with the 8820 map, however, if there's time I might even add the other maps as well (SC-88, SC-88Pro and SC-55 maps). Due to the different hardware there are considerable differences between the SC-55 and the SC-55 map on the SC-D70.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options