Duke4.net Forums: My Fourth Map (The Collapse) (WIP) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Fourth Map (The Collapse) (WIP)

User is offline   Maisth 

Ok, so I've decided to make another map for Duke3D, I know I said that The Tower would be my last map, but since the Tower was pretty much a boss fight map, I wanted to make a full level to fill the gap that The Tower left.

Anyway, this won't be part of the Nukem storyline, instead is a whole new storyline which will be pretty different from the normal Duke3D storyline.

I'll be updating the map on Gamebanana too.

Early in Development photos:

Attached Image: duke0000.png

Attached Image: duke0001.png

Attached Image: duke0002.png

Gamebanana: https://gamebanana.com/wips/49170

User is offline   Polunka 

Quite a surprise :unsure: to see you announce another map for Duke3D. Can't wait to play another decent level from you! (even though this time it's to be the last one for real) :(

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The screenshots remind me a little of this classic map, Warzone: http://dnr.duke4.net/maps/Warzone.html

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMaisth, on 27 August 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Ok, so I've decided to make another map for Duke3D, I know I said that The Tower would be my last map, but since the Tower was pretty much a boss fight map, I wanted to make a full level to fill the gap that The Tower left.

Looks good; the areas have a clean/polished style to them. It looks like there's a complete absence of shading though? Generally shading, and in particular shadows, are easier to do as you go along since you can work them better into the design, as opposed to doing them all at the end.

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostMicky C, on 27 August 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

Looks good; the areas have a clean/polished style to them. It looks like there's a complete absence of shading though? Generally shading, and in particular shadows, are easier to do as you go along since you can work them better into the design, as opposed to doing them all at the end.

Oh no, The Collapse like Detain and The Tower will have strong shadows in every place possible, even on sprites, the reason why it doesn't have now its because the project started pretty recently and i've decided to focus on the structure first and then the shading.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 28 August 2018 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Maisth 

It's been a while since I've posted an update, but now it's time to break silence.

Update:

Added more Buildings
Added a bunch of Sprites
Storyline Set
Music Set
Further development of the Structure of the level

This update won't include screenshots, but they will come very soon, in any case, with this map I'm pushing the Sprite element to its limit.

Almost everything in the City is made out of sprites, It will probably have double or even the quadruple of sprites my last maps had.

Cool

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 08 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

Just be careful not to make it so big that getting to point a and b becomes a chore

User is offline   Maisth 

Alright so, time for an update, I have bad news and good news.

The bad news is that the map is cancelled, mainly for two reasons.

1: the map being too glitchy and buggy in most places, It may be because of the weird way I made it and some other questionable decisions I took when making it.

2: Being too ambitious for its own good, Mainly because I've never done this type of map before, and I'm not an expert at making big maps.

So yea, I'm pretty disappointed with myself mostly about this, but there's still hope.

The good news are three.

1: Since I don't wanna leave Duke4net without a final map, I've decided to make another one, this one is not as ambitious as this one, think of it as the Nukem collection maps, in any case, this one will also be part of that collection, but instead of 1 map, it will be 3, these will be shorter but I will try some new ways of "impressing" the player, which you'll see in future photos what I mean.

2: Since I don't want this map that I've made go to waste, I'll still use parts of the map, mainly the HUB zone parts, In an upcoming map I'll make probably next year.

3: Also I don't want the map to be forgotten in some folder forever, For that reason I'm releasing the map file along with the music it was supposed to have (call it unnecessary to include the music in the map, but I feel like it has to have everything)

So yeah, thats about it, I'll probably make a thread of the new map I am developing next week.

Map: https://gamebanana.com/castaways/2151

User is offline   Mark 

You are right. Quite a large map. I took a quick run thru in Eduke32 and did some messing around in Mapster32.

It was playable in Polymost with a bunch of stutters as the texture cache loaded for the first time. Then it ran smoother.

Things to keep in mind for other maps, some you may already know.

You had some blue walls which mean they are longer than the safe glitch-free length limit.

Of course those rooftops, stair cases, bridges and floors would need to be built from models or using fewer larger sprites. 3-4000 of them can drag framerates down.

Some indoor areas with windows to the outside cause slowdowns because of having to render so many sectors and sprites at the same time. It sucks but some of the window openings would need to be closed. Not all, but some.

Dividing some of the large outdoor sectors into smaller ones. For instance, if a street wraps around a corner and its all one sector some thing get rendered even if you can't see them yet.

As a quick test, I spent maybe 10-15 minutes trying some of those suggestions and framerate improved a lot. But, those sprite heavy rooftops and stairs ( the ones not being used yet ) were removed.

As a custom map with models for some structures It could be a good looking usable map. But otherwise, I think you are smart by using parts of it for smaller maps. Less headaches. :)

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Man, what an impressive map! Just three things:

- Don't forget what Mark said about the blue lines in Mapster32. It's very important; if they're blue means that they have to be shorter or they will show those ugly glitches. I fixed the lines myself and now it works just perfect.

- Remember what I said about pressing '1' on floor/wall/ceiling aligned sprites? I don't care if the map is not made for software renderer; showing the inner faces of all that spritework will make the game go slower as hell, so always keep only the visible faces.

- Because you're using a bright texture for the sky, you may find interesting to press ' + V in 3D mode over some outdoor sectors to set their visibility to 240, which allows you to get rid of their distance shading.

Now you can resume your work on the map. :)

No, seriously, if you finish it it will be something memorable.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 11 December 2018 - 02:38 PM

User is offline   Maisth 

I'll come back to finish it when I'm done with the Nukem Collection, already got plans for 3 more trilogies on Nukem, The Collapse for now is cancelled, I'll probably rework the entire main area when I come back though.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 12 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

Sorry to hear that man

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options