Duke4.net Forums: [DM] COLDHEAT - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[DM] COLDHEAT  "Tiny DM map for 2 players...with a twist!"

User is offline   Sanek 

Suddenly I felt the real urge to make a map to deathmatch, just to pass some time between the work on my big project. The result is this tiny map (12 kbs), completed in like less than one hour. However, there is a twist!
I don't know if it'll work in the actual multiplayer, but unlike most of the DM maps, there's only one weapon you and your opponent can pick up - it's a freezethrower! I put a Death Row floor on the player's respawn points, hope it'll work.

Design-wise, it's a lot less detailed than Dark Seed and most of my maps. I'm not even sure if I'm doing the right thing by uploading such a map here. The map is just 2 mirrored rooms and 2 corridors. On the other hand it's ok for multiplayer, since you can find your enemy very quick. The lights is all yellow-colored, so it'll match the freezethrower.

I was hoping that I can upload it to World Tour's Steam Workshop so I can play it with somebody, but I just can't figure out the damn process. Than I wrote to Lunick (who's uploading tons of user maps here), asking him to do it if he can, but get no response.
So now I'm uploading it here, hoping that there's somebody who's interested in deathmatch and can do it. :(

Attached Image: duke0090.pngAttached Image: duke0091.pngAttached Image: duke0092.pngpng]

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Did these instructions not work?

https://steamcommuni.../?id=198993334#

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 August 2018 - 03:42 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Okay it's on steam now! :(

https://steamcommuni.../?id=1491516696

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

my connection sucked, but it was still fun.

User is offline   Sanek 

Yeah, thank you for playing! :unsure:
btw, my trick with Death Row floor didn't work in WT multiplayer, unfortunately. But I'm still glad that some people enjoyed the map (I played/tested it with 3 different people). Maybe I even make another one if I'll have time...or become bored. :(

User is offline   MetHy 

A freezethrower centered DM map is a good concept.

IIRC the "no weapon start" Death Row sector tag only works the first time you start the map. Any respawn after that in DM or Co-op and you will start with the pistol.
It may even only work the first time only for player 1 but I could be remembering that wrong. If it is the case I'd just get rid of the tag altogether to avoid disadvantage at the start of the map.

Even then the map should remain fun and as long as there is no pistol ammo around and the gimmick should remain. Actually it may be even more fun with some pistol ammo, half of the fun with frozen opponents is stealing somebody else's kill.

Funny thing is that Redneck Rampage has a similar glitch in Nut House. If you die you'll restart the map with the pistol.

Edit: had a look at the map and it looks good but if I may I have some suggestions.

There is only 2 spawn points so it's only for 1vs1 so my comment about stealing kills can't apply. I'd recommend adding a couple more spawn points even if the map is still intended for 1v1: with only 2 spawn points players have a 50% chance to guess where the opponent will spawn. In such a small map it can quickly get aggravating and lead to successive direct kills at spawn, with camping too, which can potentially get even worse since the spawn points are dead ends, with only the starting pistol too, while the opponent does have access to freezethrower ammo AND health just next to the dead end's exits. You really have to be careful with dead ends and spawn points in DM.
Another potential fix is to hand out the freezethrower directly in the spawn room but I suppose having to run around un-armed for a couple of seconds is intended; and even though it wouldn't fix it completely as when you spawn, your opponent did earn an atomic health from your death, giving him the advantage.

Besides, freezethrower gameplay is a lot more fun with 3-4 players, like I said stolen kills are fun, so a couple more spawn points can't hurt.

The see through wall/forcefield in the middle is a good idea, but it'd be even better if walls in the side corridors allowed for precise freeze projectile bouncing. This can easily be achieved by making those small 45° walls longers, the ones on the side corridors. On grid 1 they're 1 square long, try 3 squares and witness the magic unfold as you can see your opponent through the forcefield and make the projectiles bounce to him. Perhaps a couple of those walls could be mirrors, too.
As a consequence I'd also give a smaller repeat to the forcefield so it's easier to aim using the 45° walls and see what you're doing.

Freeze projectile bouncing is very underrated so more/bigger 45° walls as a while could really make it insane.

It's good that you included an atomic health, it evens things up since frozen kills hand them out, moreover it's placed in a very risky spot. This being said, if you stand around the small 45° walls and look at both the forcefield and the vent you'll see HOM which can easily be fixed by cutting the vent into 3 just before where the forcefield is located rather than 'in' the forcefield's location.
Also at the moment, you can see whether or not the atomic health has respawned before even entering the vent. By hiding it behind a small niched corner, the risk/reward factor would be increased ten folds. Again, 45° walls cornering that niche would guarantee a less safe return if you see your opponent on one side.

A bit less important but if it was me I'd also put the boxes with supplies on them further apart. Force the player to jump a little and take risks. Imagine jumping from a high box to another, on your way to a health pack, get frozen by opponent in the middle of it, and fall to your death as your frozen state breaks apart on the ground and it counts as a suicide. It should be a rare situation, but an amazing one when it happens. Take advantage of everything the freezethrower has to offer. In one of my DM maps I had an atomic health placed on a box which required a near pixel perfect strafe-running jump, and it lead to some amazing things.

Hope I don't sound like a dick. I just realized I miss DukeMatch.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 August 2018 - 05:16 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMetHy, on 27 August 2018 - 04:15 AM, said:

A freezethrower centered DM map is a good concept.
Hope I don't sound like a dick. I just realized I miss DukeMatch.

It's actually a very good post, with cool tips and constructive criticism. :unsure:

I come to the conclustion that having pistol is not a bad idea actually, since you'll have at least some weapon until other player will get to you. Besides, the player who survived most likely use all pistol ammo, while you'll have full clip.
Atm I don't know how to make a respawns without dead end, and keep the layout of the map compact. I can add 2 more spawn points in the middle of the map, but it'll be even more unfair.

And hey, the last time I made dm map was about 10 years ago, so I can forgot a nuance or two. :(

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostSanek, on 27 August 2018 - 06:09 AM, said:

I can add 2 more spawn points in the middle of the map, but it'll be even more unfair.

Add them in the side corridors, one spawn on each cardinal point. Perhaps make other small niches there too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options