Duke4.net Forums: Desperados 3! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Desperados 3!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Well, I'm going to play the shit out of this:

Finally a developer has managed to recapture the feeling of the original game! The devs of Shadow Tactics are handling it btw.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 21 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

Believe or not, for a period the first Desperados game and the Starsky & Hutch game were in gift with Kellogg's cereals. And that is the way I got both.

Desperados it does not seem to have had too much prominence in the isometric strategic genre, especially because obscured by Commandos series. The second game ever bombed?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostFantinaikos, on 21 August 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Believe or not, for a period the first Desperados game and the Starsky & Hutch game were in gift with Kellogg's cereals. And that is the way I got both.

Desperados it does not seem to have had too much prominence in the isometric strategic genre, especially because obscured by Commandos series. The second game ever bombed?

I'm a huge Commandos fan but Desperados is the better game without a doubt. I don't think it was ever huge outside of Europe but it was developed by a small German studio and the publisher did not have the worldwide reach you need if you want to put a dent on the console-focused US gaming market.

As for the franchise itself: Desperados 3 will be the 4th Desperados game actually. :( After Desperados 2 (which was not a good game: they went with 3D in terms of presentation and gameplay, they shouldn't have done that) there was another sequel called Helldorado. The devs lost the rights to the IP so they had to rename it if I remember correctly.

Anyway the real time tactics genre was always weird when it comes to financial success, for example Commandos was a huge hit but Commandos 2, a much more expensive - and also much better - game was kind of a flop already. Then Commandos 3 came which was a letdown both critically and financially so as a last ditch effort Pyro Studios made an FPS sequel called Strike Force. That was actually a pretty good game with some cool mechanics but of course it wasn't what the fans wanted so the franchise died. But Commandos is coming back too:
https://www.rockpape...-kalypso-media/
Btw. if anyone wants to play some Desperados now is a great time because THQ Nordic released a big patch not too long ago that basically acts like a cheap but effective remaster (16:9 support by keeping the original resolution, nice!):
https://www.rockpape...10-crash-fixed/

Id also like an official win10 fix for Robin Hood: The Legend Of Sherwood.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostFantinaikos, on 21 August 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Id also like an official win10 fix for Robin Hood: The Legend Of Sherwood.

Sadly that one's owned by Microids, not THQ Nordic so a revival is not likely to happen.

Anyway it's interesting that Mimimi is going for 5 characters instead of the original six. While that may feel like less variety it might be a good decision since properly balancing 6 different characters was never really achieved in these games, even in Desperados some of your guys were very underutilized. On top of that near the end of the game balance gets thrown out the window: for most of the time you feel like Desperados can be even harder than Commandos (at least until you don't learn your macros and hotkeys properly because you can do wonderfully planned out attacks with the timer) but then you get Sanchez, the motherfuckin' Mexican terminator who's just a one man army capable of quickly killing dozens of guards. It's like if Duke Nukem appeared in the Magnificent Seven so it kinda doesn't fit but I always loved him because he provided some much needed variety in pacing: in Commandos the last few missions were a bit tedious because the increased guard count only served as an artificial increase in difficulty but in Desperados your reward for completing the game is kicking ass with Sanchez. That's cool game design even if it doesn't serve the balance.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 21 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Little offtopic, but afaik the first two Desperados games were produced by Armin Gessert (RIP) who created the legendary Mario ripoff Giana Sisters for the C64 (which was initially banned by Nintendo). Luckily he lived until the release of the game's Nintendo DS sequel too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options