Duke4.net Forums: How about porting Duke 3D to my new engine? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How about porting Duke 3D to my new engine?  "Make Duke levels playable in a game powered by my Brahma engine"

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 14 September 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Yes, I always use profiling to search for places to optimize. Slab column rendering eats up most of the processor time :rolleyes:

Do you know why?

View Posticecoldduke, on 14 September 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Do you know why?

There are excess slabs processed in multithreaded mode, and the slab geometry calculation is not optimized. My vision for a new algorithm is like this:
1. Determine which columns can be seen within the rendering portal
2. Build a (sizx+1)*(sizy+1) grid of screen x coordinates and z + reciprocals for each visible column.
3. Use this data for precise rendering of only visible slabs with minimum overdraw.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

All comments here are about technical stuff, so I feel that mine is a bit useless, but I just wanted to congratulate you for all your work! Not only for your new engine but also for the LNGA mod and that bike code from SkyTown TC.

However, porting Duke 3D to your engine doesn't seem to be the best way to show all the new features. Maybe taking inspiration from Duke 3D to create a new game will be better. :rolleyes:

View PostPerro Seco, on 16 September 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

All comments here are about technical stuff, so I feel that mine is a bit useless, but I just wanted to congratulate you for all your work! Not only for your new engine but also for the LNGA mod and that bike code from SkyTown TC.

However, porting Duke 3D to your engine doesn't seem to be the best way to show all the new features. Maybe taking inspiration from Duke 3D to create a new game will be better. :rolleyes:

Thank you much mate, comments like yours keep me motivated to improve my later work. Well, if nobody likes another Duke game idea, I'll build up a team of artists/mappers and make my own using my tech.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 16 September 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Thank you much mate, comments like yours keep me motivated to improve my later work. Well, if nobody likes another Duke game idea, I'll build up a team of artists/mappers and make my own using my tech.

I don't think it's that people don't like the idea of a new Duke game, it's that it would be legally problematic.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Exactly. It has been pitched before

Follow the IndieDB page about the engine! I'll post my updates, articles and further plans there.
https://www.indiedb.com/engines/brahma

Now working on a new voxel format to replace KVX. Recently wrote to Ken about voxel support in my engine, he's ok about supporting KVX files, but since I need more features than just pre-lit static voxels, I've decided to develop a more elaborate format called BHV (Brahma's Voxel).

All new features are tested on original Duke levels and other Build maps, converted to my format on runtime. My map editor is too raw to be really useful. Better to show than to say =) Just worked on my true vertical look emulation:
https://youtu.be/XeLJf_0-PKk

Want to make collision detection (finally) and 3D sound ambience, and release it as a tech demo which requires only your duke3d.grp to work, so you could try it yourself on various machines.

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 28 September 2018 - 11:33 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice. I like the slight reflection on glass windows too!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 September 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

Nice. I like the slight reflection on glass windows too!

Yes, the portal system with a secondary buffer allows such partial reflections. Not every modern engine can do multiple semi-transparent reflections without serious speed penalty, and in Brahma it works like a charm. I'm yet to implement fresnel reflections for full realism though.

Otherwise, I'm having some success in creating reflective water, but so far it's just a flat reflection without any perturbations, like a glass surface. Maybe if I could couple a dynamic heightmap with a dynamic reflection map, and also render what is beneath the surface with a vertical shrink due to refraction, I would get realistic looking pools of water. But heightmaps are still a work in progress, and I didn't even touch reflection mapping so far. Correctly rendering water surface from below is another story...

User is offline   TON 

Spoiler

View PostTON, on 03 October 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Spoiler

That water doesn't even have reflectivity, as far as I can see, just slightly distorted refraction. My water already correctly combines reflected with refracted layers and even tries to do total internal reflection seen from below the surface. I just need to make the process automatic, make such reflections appear on all boundaries between spaces with different index of refraction. My maps can define IOR and other physical properties for groups of sectors called subspaces.

The screen wapring effect from LNGA was slow as hell, because each row had to be rendered separately. My goal is to produce some fake distortion for refracted part based on a heightmap. A heightmapped water with dynamic perturbations is what I aim for.

User is offline   pacman 

Awesome. Can it do enemy sprites as 3d voxels too? I always hated 3d models but the sprites are pretty lame with mouselook on on retro games :rolleyes:

Also, will this engine have multiplayer support? I always wanted to create my own retro style game, but I suck at programing and the modern engine editors suck and I always went back to mapster.

Is this similar to mapster in the creation of the maps?

Also, assuming I do my own levels, own sound and music and whatnot, could I release it commercially on steam and so on for free or you must buy a license?

Also, when will it be finished so it can be used to create games on it?

This post has been edited by pacman: 24 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

View Postpacman, on 24 October 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

Awesome. Can it do enemy sprites as 3d voxels too? I always hated 3d models but the sprites are pretty lame with mouselook on on retro games :rolleyes:

Also, will this engine have multiplayer support? I always wanted to create my own retro style game, but I suck at programing and the modern engine editors suck and I always went back to mapster.

Is this similar to mapster in the creation of the maps?

Also, assuming I do my own levels, own sound and music and whatnot, could I release it commercially on steam and so on for free or you must buy a license?

Also, when will it be finished so it can be used to create games on it?

You can use voxels for all the level decoration, objects, or characters (enemies and NPCs) if you want. Models will be supported too, and I'd recommend using meshes for enemies, since they are easier to animate.

Certainly I'll add multiplayer support, it's just the underlying framework not ready for managing TCP/IP connections. Note that Brahma engine is built on top of NipSys64 framework, and LNGA as game base will be an extension of Brahma engine.

Now the LNGA map creator is the only means to make maps from scratch, it's very handy, but still incomplete and has no proper GUI. Of course, one can import Build maps, but the feature set will be limited.

The engine is proprietary and must be licensed for creating commercial games. But at the moment, I must program any game directly into the engine project, and my teammates can only supply other content (maps, sounds, textures, voxels). That way, we can develop indie games. The next version of the engine will have static libraries and header files, so other developers could buy the engine and program their games themselves. So you'll have to wait for the next engine version if you want to make your own games.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 25 October 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

You can use voxels for all the level decoration, objects, or characters (enemies and NPCs) if you want. Models will be supported too, and I'd recommend using meshes for enemies, since they are easier to animate.

Certainly I'll add multiplayer support, it's just the underlying framework not ready for managing TCP/IP connections. Note that Brahma engine is built on top of NipSys64 framework, and LNGA as game base will be an extension of Brahma engine.

Now the LNGA map creator is the only means to make maps from scratch, it's very handy, but still incomplete and has no proper GUI. Of course, one can import Build maps, but the feature set will be limited.

The engine is proprietary and must be licensed for creating commercial games. But at the moment, I must program any game directly into the engine project, and my teammates can only supply other content (maps, sounds, textures, voxels). That way, we can develop indie games. The next version of the engine will have static libraries and header files, so other developers could buy the engine and program their games themselves. So you'll have to wait for the next engine version if you want to make your own games.

Do you have any vids or screens of the map editor? can u make it similar to build? :D

I hope to see multiplayer before eduke32 does :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by pacman: 25 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

View Postpacman, on 25 October 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

Do you have any vids or screens of the map editor? can u make it similar to build? :D

I hope to see multiplayer before eduke32 does :rolleyes:

No videos or screens so far. I'll make some when the editor will become usable enough. It will have some similarity to Build editor, but having more utility for handling multilevel constructions, namely extensively using boolean operations in three dimensions to build level geometry. Also my engine supports multi-instancing, so any material could be replicated on various surfaces with no memory overhead. The editor should be aware of this and 'fork' materials (patterns+samples) on demand. Another complication is that several sectors can share the same floor/ceiling surface, what is very useful for rooms-over-rooms, saves memory and increases rendering speeds too.

The editor should be equipped with profiling/optimization tools as well, because framerates highly depend on how well the map is designed and optimized, or how well it makes use of engine optimizations.

I'll try making some multiplayer sessions next year, so stay tuned.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 25 October 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

No videos or screens so far. I'll make some when the editor will become usable enough. It will have some similarity to Build editor, but having more utility for handling multilevel constructions, namely extensively using boolean operations in three dimensions to build level geometry. Also my engine supports multi-instancing, so any material could be replicated on various surfaces with no memory overhead. The editor should be aware of this and 'fork' materials (patterns+samples) on demand. Another complication is that several sectors can share the same floor/ceiling surface, what is very useful for rooms-over-rooms, saves memory and increases rendering speeds too.

The editor should be equipped with profiling/optimization tools as well, because framerates highly depend on how well the map is designed and optimized, or how well it makes use of engine optimizations.

I'll try making some multiplayer sessions next year, so stay tuned.

How will be the actual coding part? I mean, something affordable for non-coders like editing .con files? or perhaps the awesome acs script language on ZDoom, very handy to add events on the maps, as in changing the music on a certain linedef, triggering a sound, changing lightning, pretty much anything your imagination can deliver, and it's pretty doable as a non-coder. I always wished build had something like this.

View Postpacman, on 26 October 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

How will be the actual coding part? I mean, something affordable for non-coders like editing .con files? or perhaps the awesome acs script language on ZDoom, very handy to add events on the maps, as in changing the music on a certain linedef, triggering a sound, changing lightning, pretty much anything your imagination can deliver, and it's pretty doable as a non-coder. I always wished build had something like this.

There will be a controller system which defines logic for each map. The rest (items, switches, enemy behavior) must be hard-coded. Eventually I'll probably introduce some scripting language (unified with all my other projects), but not for this engine version, since I need a working solution for game making as soon as possible.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 27 October 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

There will be a controller system which defines logic for each map. The rest (items, switches, enemy behavior) must be hard-coded. Eventually I'll probably introduce some scripting language (unified with all my other projects), but not for this engine version, since I need a working solution for game making as soon as possible.

any news? im still interested in making a retro fps game but cant find the right engine

View Postpacman, on 23 February 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

any news? im still interested in making a retro fps game but cant find the right engine

I'm working on the engine on and off, planning to publish a test version sooner or later. I'm occasionally posting screenshots of my current work on the IndieDB page and on my Facebook. There are some important graphic enhancements to do prior to releasing something, namely more precise Z-culling of sprites and better heightmap rendering. Also I hope to refine a bit my collision detection as well, since no game can make it out without one.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Really looking forward to playing this when it's public.

I've been getting a bit closer to a release lately, hoping to conduct some open testing this year. There's already facility to import the content from Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, and other Build games, as well as Doom's IWADs. Today took a new narrated video that showcases my latest development. Constructive feedback is welcome.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Some really cool features there!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options