Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox just pulled a Colonial Marines on We Happy Few - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox just pulled a Colonial Marines on We Happy Few

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

How can you release something in this state?

Come on, Gearbox, recall this stuff and fix it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

This is why Duke can stay dead.

Unless you want to see a game that makes DNF look like a masterpiece.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostForge, on 14 August 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

This is why Duke can stay dead.

Unless you want to see a game that makes DNF look like a masterpiece.

But fuck, why are they doing this? :( I mean this was the first title Gearbox's publishing department could have made some nice money with on top of getting the respect of their consumer base. The game looks great, it reminds me of BioShock with some survival and questing elements thrown in there, it's the perfect indie darling even with the 60 dollar price tag. This shit can't slip through QA because it's an absolute technical garbage, they must have been like "well, we're out of development time and we don't want to spend more money, it's broken but oh well, we'll just release it".

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Gearbox published it, but it was developed by Compulsion Games. No, they should not have published it in this state. But, I still believe that Gearbox itself is capable of delivering polished games that it develops itself. I would be interested to hear what went on behind the scenes to lead to this. Was there a meltdown at Compulsion, or did they just not get enough time?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

>Gearbox doing dumb shit

Oh look, its Tuesday!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 August 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

But, I still believe that Gearbox itself is capable of delivering polished games that it develops itself.

Capable? Sure. Willing? Not at all.

I dunno what should be going on behind the scenes but this release is a giant red flag. It's been a while since they made or published anything successful, maybe they're having problems? Remember, Randy's a bad businessman who got lucky with Borderlands, anything can happen. After you hit the jackpot you can fuck things up badly.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

I heard that people complain a lot about console version of the game, not so much about the PC. I actually just watched a let's play of the game, and didn't notice anything broken, in the player's recording at least.
However, if the game was released in a raw state like this, it's evident that publisher was the reason. It'll be much better if the Compulsion just worked on the game at their own pace. The big-budget publisher connection ruined everything (doesn't matter if it's Gearbox or not). The game looks very promising, but it's not AAA title by any means.

I thought Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition was pretty good. I never played the original so without Gearbox publishing the remaster, and adding Duke in the game, I would've never played it. The lip sync for Duke Nukem was off at launch but it was fixed later. And his character was a bit off; since when did he ever cared deeply for his comrades. But this might be a hint of what Duke Nukem will become if Gearbox wants to make Duke more... "acceptable" in today's society.

It's no secret that they're doing Borderlands 3. I tell you, Duke Nukem will be a playable character, probably as dlc. I'm calling it now, and they better pick up the phone.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostRedxplatinum, on 15 August 2018 - 12:24 AM, said:

I thought Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition was pretty good. I never played the original so without Gearbox publishing the remaster, and adding Duke in the game, I would've never played it. The lip sync for Duke Nukem was off at launch but it was fixed later. And his character was a bit off; since when did he ever cared deeply for his comrades. But this might be a hint of what Duke Nukem will become if Gearbox wants to make Duke more... "acceptable" in today's society.

It's no secret that they're doing Borderlands 3. I tell you, Duke Nukem will be a playable character, probably as dlc. I'm calling it now, and they better pick up the phone.

That's cool because Duke does not fit into Borderlands at all... but they won't make a new game so guess they'll have to do something with the IP.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostZaxx, on 15 August 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

That's cool because Duke does not fit into Borderlands at all...

If they want, they'll found a way to make him fit into Borderlands universe, whatever the end result would so great or just sucks ass.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 16 August 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

If they want, they'll found a way to make him fit into Borderlands universe, whatever the end result would so great or just sucks ass.

Yeah they can easily make Duke fit. It's not like they haven't added Duke in Borderlands before >.>

Back to the topic, Gearbox should've made sure this game was ready when they launched it. Many reviewers review the game based on the launched version of the game. If launch is bad then the game has bad rep and they may not recover from it. Even if they update it in the future it won't draw as much as if it was good at launch

User is offline   MrFlibble 

What's happening to the industry if games come out in such an unfinished state? Is this some kind of unwanted side-effect of the Early Access model? Where's the good old extensive beta testing phase? Or are we just back to Daggerfall and everything is OK?

From the video it seems that the game indeed has an interesting premise and some pretty good art as the narrator states, it's kinda sad that this whole thing is marred by bugs and lack of polishing.

User is offline   Avoozl 

The last game by Gearbox which I enjoyed was the first Borderlands along with its Knoxx and Claptrap DLC, after that nothing really.

Also as an owner of the original Bulletstorm with a box copy I was kind of sad that they wouldn't offer the remastered version for free or a discount to owners of the original game.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 21 August 2018 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The only Gearbox games I've ever enjoyed were the Half-Life expansions.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostGrand Admiral Thrawn, on 21 August 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

I was kind of sad that they wouldn't offer the remastered version for free or a discount to owners of the original game.

This sure sounds familiar...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostGrand Admiral Thrawn, on 21 August 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

Also as an owner of the original Bulletstorm with a box copy I was kind of sad that they wouldn't offer the remastered version for free or a discount to owners of the original game.

riiiiight

I want free copies of the next 37 iterations of duke3d. Especially since they like to take the versions I have off the shelf in an attempt to make them obsolete or illegal.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

We Happy Few must be the name of Gearbox's fan community. :(

Btw. even after minutes of thinking I could have sworn that Colonial Marines was the last game Gearbox has developed... then I remembered BattleBorn. What a hit!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 21 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options