Duke4.net Forums: Porting EDuke32 To Original Xbox? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Porting EDuke32 To Original Xbox?  "For softmodded consoles"

User is offline   Joshua 

What do you guys think about the idea of porting EDuke32 to the Original Xbox? I know there's a version of EDuke for the Wii.

Since the Xbox has an architecture used for PC's it should be relatively easy to do so, though I don't know if it would be able to run the Polymer renderer well because of the Xbox having insufficient power.

If it's something that's worth looking into, would there be mod support? And would there be the possibility of multiplayer being added once it is supported by EDuke32?

User is offline   Lunick 

I imagine if there was going to be a port to the original Xbox, it would be done by someone not on the EDuke team.

User is offline   Mark 

Like ICD. :(

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The problem with Xbox homebrew is practically everything was made using a leaked SDK, making the resulting binaries illegal becaus with they contained statically linked libraries...

I know that Retro Vintage Gamer began porting ERampage to Xbox 360... Maybe ask him?

User is offline   Joshua 

Ouch. Didn't even know that a leaked SDK was used to design Xbox homebrew. That's unfortunate. But even if that wasn't the case, It would be a really low priority for the EDuke team to port EDuke32 to Xbox anyway, hence what Lunick said about an Xbox port being made by someone outside of the EDuke team.

I'll go talk to Retro Vintage Gamer to see what he thinks about the idea. Thanks again.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMark., on 11 August 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Like ICD. :(

Not when he keeps abandoned his projects. :unsure:

User is offline   Mark 

I know. I mentioned him only because he had a working version with bugs running on the Xbox.

I thought that was on Xbox One?

Also I got the name wrong, it's Modern Vintage Gamer.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 12 August 2018 - 03:42 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Definitely possible but it's a waste of time unfortunately.
The audience for OG Xbox is VERY small as HD era/netflix/etc.. pushed the last users of XBMC towards alternate platforms.

There is really very little reason to have an xbox plugged in to your TV anymore when a raspberry pi already does everything with more juice, and eduke works there.
Of course there will always be a small pool of users but even they know that using that to play duke is about as useful as using an PPC amiga to play quake.

Like what was said, community will probably port it if they deem it worth their time. I don't see main devs putting any time aside for something like this.

Yeah pretty much. You can buy a small form factor PC with several times the OGXbox's performance for not too much money or just plug in an old laptop.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options