Duke4.net Forums: Sprites Disappearing - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sprites Disappearing

User is offline   Maisth 

I've been using the F8 Method to change the Sprites number cause the map is so big that it uses a bunch of sectors, but i've been wondering, is there an easier way to change all the sprites Sectnumber at the same time?

At the same time there are some sprites who I change the Sectnumber but then it goes back to the original, any idea why is this?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Mapster will correct the sectnum when it saves the map.

Why are you manually changing sectnum?

"but i've been wondering, is there an easier way to change all the sprites Sectnumber at the same time?"

open the console ~
type "include samples/a"
"do for i allsprites { set sprite[i].sectnum ### }

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostPhotonic, on 13 July 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Mapster will correct the sectnum when it saves the map.

Why are you manually changing sectnum?

"but i've been wondering, is there an easier way to change all the sprites Sectnumber at the same time?"

open the console ~
type "include samples/a"
"do for i allsprites { set sprite[i].sectnum ### }

Why i do that its because the map has a lot of sprites and sectors, and since the sprites disappear when you are not on the main sector the solution i found was to change all the sprite's sectnum to the main one where the player will be able to see all of them.

also thanks for responding the other thing.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

You're making a map displaying a large volume of sprites on 1 screen.

I have maps like that.
I think max you can show on 1 screen is around few thousands.

On old duke used to be around 1070s *can't remember*

SO what you wanna do is when you get too far from the sprite that it vanishes and reappear when you return close to it?

PS
splitting sectors with large sprites can sorta help.
I had forests with thousands of sprites.
When I splitted large sector with tons of sprite it kinda improve things.

Also mountains to hide way too much sprites can help.
dunno for you case so I must assume your level is a city base
Or on top of multi buildings and you see lots of things.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 13 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMaisth, on 13 July 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

Why i do that its because the map has a lot of sprites and sectors, and since the sprites disappear when you are not on the main sector the solution i found was to change all the sprite's sectnum to the main one where the player will be able to see all of them.

For your information, all sprites disappear when the player can't "see" the sector the sprite is in. It's not exactly about the player needing to be on the main sector as you say. I know its a tiny detail but it may help with your map making so I brought it up. Maybe you could join non-adjacent sectors (in expert mode) which will trick the game into drawing some sprites in situations where it normally will not.

User is offline   Maisth 

Sorry for the 2 week bump.

Photonic, i'm aware of that, the thing is my map is a City based map and since it takes places on the rooftops you can see all sprites, the main problem is that they disappear if they are not seen in an specific sector, i'm not sure if this is a problem with the map due to many things in it or another thing.

also that command didn't work and changing the sectnum of the sprites won't do it apparently cause they change to they original num after exiting the properties of the sprite.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 23 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I just checked it again. Changing the sectnum works for me. I changed it. Saved the map. Loaded it and played. The change is still there. The change still shows when I load Mapster again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options