Duke4.net Forums: OK, how much do you *really* remember about Duke3D? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OK, how much do you *really* remember about Duke3D?  "Noooooo"

User is offline   NNC 

I never had issues with progressing in the game, except maybe with episode when I was a newbie. The red key in E1L2 was truly a bitch back then, now it's a joke. E1L3, E1L4 and E1L5 all had their nasty parts, but that made them interesting.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

The red key in Babe Land was the most obtuse part of the game, in my opinion. Took me a decade until I stumbled on the answer. Until then I just used DNSTUFF to get through it.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNancsi, on 13 July 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

A 20 question test mostly about Duke levels. Give your answer in spoilers, I give you an upvote if at least 16 is correct. :(

1. Where can you find the Shrinker in Warp Factor?
Spoiler

2. What is the name of the sector effector that was used for the pigcop infight sounds in Pigsty?
Spoiler

3. Which level gives you the message "C'mon, quit cheating"?
Spoiler

4. Which is the only official level that use the Floorflame sprite?
Spoiler

5. Which staff member's picture can be seen above Faces of Death's blue keycard?
Spoiler

6. Which level in episode 3 didn't have a preset chaingun cannon (due to tagging error)?
Spoiler

7. How many dead Pigcop sprites are found in episode 2?
Spoiler

8. How many Sentry Drones are found in episode 4 (on the highest skill setting)?
Spoiler

9. Which is the only official level that use both Reconcars and Two Way Trains?
Spoiler

10. Which ambient sound can be heard in Hollywood Holocaust but never after that?
Spoiler

11. Which two levels have the one liner "This really pisses me off"?
Spoiler

12. Which is the only official level prior to episode 5 that use fake doors (no area behind)?
Spoiler

13. What is the name of the city where the "Nuclear Waste Disposal Unit" can be found?
Spoiler

14. What is the name of High Times' coffee shop?
Spoiler

15. Which weapon can be found first in episode 3 (not including Pistol)?
Spoiler

16. Which is the only Levelord-based level where the SVYT sign was replaced with SUYT?
Spoiler

17. How many official levels use the rotate rise bridge with actual rotation?
Spoiler

18. What is the name of the sector effector that is used for Duke Tag counter?
Spoiler

19. Which shareware level's music starts in the middle (compared to the shareware version)?
Spoiler

20. Where can you actually hear the ship horn sound in Derelict?
Spoiler

OK suckers, I'm disappointed in you all to not be autistic enough and didn't pass the test. So here are the answers in spoilers. Congrats to Ninety-Six to suck less than others in the test!

View PostNancsi, on 20 July 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

Spoiler

I still have no idea what this is.

View PostNancsi, on 20 July 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

10. Which ambient sound can be heard in Hollywood Holocaust but never after that?
Spoiler

Yep, gonna kick myself. Damnit, why didn't I think about immediate sounds...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 20 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

OK, here's my response on some of your revealed answers (including possible mistakes/misunderstandings for two of these):

View PostNancsi, on 13 July 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

1. Where can you find the Shrinker in Warp Factor?

Yeah... obviously haven't recalled this one.

Spoiler

6. Which level in episode 3 didn't have a preset chaingun cannon (due to tagging error)?

Spoiler

Spoiler

12. Which is the only official level prior to episode 5 that use fake doors (no area behind)?

Spoiler

17. How many official levels use the rotate rise bridge with actual rotation?

Yeah, been *totally* wrong about this one...

19. Which shareware level's music starts in the middle (compared to the shareware version)?

Spoiler

20. Where can you actually hear the ship horn sound in Derelict?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by NY00123: 21 July 2018 - 05:50 AM

User is offline   NNC 

The Floorflame sprite is the one near
Spoiler
. It's a yellow whatever on the floor, it automatically shoots flame vertically and uses the sound also heard in Devastator and Freezer shooting. You can hear it from a long distance and it's pretty annoying. Some old 1996 usermaps used it as well.

As for the fake doors, you're partly right NV, although I didn't consider these doors totally fake because they have their own sectors, and they make sense more than just a sprite decoration what we seen in
Spoiler
and some of E5 maps. The fake door in Golden Carnage with the stop sign is also forgivable for the same reason. But yeah, I should have made a more precise question.

As for the bell ring, I think they are used pretty badly in Derelict. I mean why we hear them far from the ship, but never in the ship?

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 21 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostNancsi, on 21 July 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Spoiler
. It's a yellow whatever on the floor, it automatically shoots flame vertically and uses the sound also heard in Devastator and Freezer shooting. You can hear it from a long distance and it's pretty annoying. Some old 1996 usermaps used it as well.

Ah, okay. Those things. Yeah I remember seeing a few of them before in old maps. I think I was even surprised when I saw them used in that level.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNancsi, on 21 July 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Spoiler

Oh, you mean the flame jet trap that was borrowed from Rise of the Triad?
Posted Image

I wonder how many things from ROTT were put into Duke3D over the course of its development...

User is offline   NNC 

Well, Lameduke is like 70% ROTT and 30% Duke, which includes palette and enemy style. Not to mention that iconic Jackson music.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 22 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

I definitely remember the palette. I always thought it was really strange. Was that just a placeholder palette or were they really planning on having that weird red/gray/salmon color scheme for Duke 3D at that point? I remember it weirded me out enough that when I first came across Blood, which has a similar (though slightly different) palette, I was left to wonder if that was just a thing that was happening.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 23 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

User is offline   juvenite 

Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 July 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

I definitely remember the palette. I always thought it was really strange. Was that just a placeholder palette or were they really planning on having that weird red/gray/salmon color scheme for Duke 3D at that point? I remember it weirded me out enough that when I first came across Blood, which has a similar (though slightly different) palette, I was left to wonder if that was just a thing that was happening.

Blood's brownish palette is definitely its biggest problem IMHO.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options