Duke4.net Forums: OK, how much do you *really* remember about Duke3D? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OK, how much do you *really* remember about Duke3D?  "Noooooo"

User is offline   NY00123 

Hey there, I'm sure some of you are going to hate me for this evil idea :(

The rules for anybody posting Duke3D-related details in this thread:

Try to list as much details as you recall, *from memory*, and most important - *without having played the game in-between reading this post and adding your own post* (or at least not really recently).

Misc. words of mine (e.g., about the idea of posting this):

It's possible that this thread has been inspired by this weakly related topic on recreating Doom maps from memory: https://www.doomworl...ps-from-memory/

However, it's more likely I've recently realized I'm unfortunately bad with memorizing (or even knowing??) names of musical tracks :unsure:
Sorry Bobby and Lee! Hopefully nobody's too disappointed from me just for this, heh.

So, here's my turn.

Again, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM READING THE FOLLOWING (OR SIMILAR POSTS OF OTHER FORUM MEMBERS) IF YOU INTEND TO POST DETAILS FROM YOUR OWN MEMORY.

Duke's arsenal of weapons:
Spoiler

Inventory items:
Spoiler

Other pickups:
Spoiler

Ways to get health (other than the usual health pick-ups):
Spoiler

Maps:
Spoiler

Enemies (it's very possible I recall a few of these from the Build editor i.e., NAMES.H, better than any official name):
Spoiler

Music - Really weak at this :( Quoting from episode 1 for most (and generally using filenames, or close to these)
Spoiler

Duke quotes... Sorry, decided it's a lil. bit too tiresome for me atm, heh.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 09 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNY00123, on 09 July 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

Duke quotes... Sorry, decided it's a lil. bit too tiresome for me atm, heh.

This, and the music, are possibly the most interesting things to try to remember... I guess anyone remembers the weapons and pickup types, there aren't too many of those anyway.

Let's try this, I haven't played the game in a while:
Spoiler

Turns out that I don't remember the order of levels in all episodes but the first one :unsure:

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I play through the entire game literally every few months, and I'm just wrapping up another. It would probably be unfair for me to post because I remember

Spoiler

Something I frequently do when I'm waiting for something is I try to name all the episodes in order, followed by their level names in exact order, including both secrets and the big three expansions. If I'm feeling extra ballsy I also try to see if I can remember the names of the songs that play for each level (I also attempt this for Doom just for variety).

I pretty much live inside this game.

I basically played every single version of Duke 3D even the hand held Game Com

User is offline   keiron 

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 11 July 2018 - 11:11 AM
Reason for edit: spoilered

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Nothing.
I remember nothing about Duke3d, because I like it fresh every time I play it, and it's incredibly neat every time I notice something I never noticed before.

don't care if my penis is small because of it, either.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

User is offline   Hank 

I haven't played it in years. Most time was spent on TCs and new maps.

Spoiler

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 11 July 2018 - 11:12 AM
Reason for edit: spoilered

User is online   Phredreeke 

Weapons, pickups, ways to get health
Spoiler

Maps
Spoiler

Enemies
Spoiler

Mike, use the spoiler tag FFS :(

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 10 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

• Music Producer

View PostPhredreeke, on 10 July 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Weapons, pickups, ways to get health
Spoiler

Maps
Spoiler

Enemies
Spoiler

Mike, use the spoiler tag FFS :(

There's no easy way to do it on mobile, any tips?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMike Norvak, on 10 July 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

There's no easy way to do it on mobile, any tips?

You're ruining my childhood

User is online   Phredreeke 

Use tags like this

[spoiler]Some hidden text[/spoiler]

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 10 July 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

You're ruining my childhood

I'm a millennial, don't blame me!

Thanks Phredreeke. Is just that it has eons I don't post with the PC.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 10 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

Okay, I'll try to name all the levels

Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postkeiron, on 10 July 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View Postkeiron, on 10 July 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

Spoiler

Wanted to respond to the above, but then I've been semi-beaten:

View PostHendricks266, on 11 July 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Spoiler

What I can add on the above, though:
Spoiler

Lemme add a few late addendums of mine:

One more map:
Spoiler

A few misc. (estimated) music file names (sorry, can't identify these with specific tracks, so can't match these with the maps):
Spoiler

Bonus music files:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by NY00123: 11 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

I find it interesting how nobody can name all of Episode 2's maps correctly without looking them up. I couldn't do it myself right now, and I looked at all your answers.

Probably a testament to how the maps of the second episode all somewhat blend together. It probably also doesn't help that the names are also very generic.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 12 July 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

I find it interesting how nobody can name all of Episode 2's maps correctly without looking them up. I couldn't do it myself right now, and I looked at all your answers.

Probably a testament to how the maps of the second episode all somewhat blend together. It probably also doesn't help that the names are also very generic.

Speak for yourself. I can name them all in my sleep with their associated songs:
Spoiler

I'm also the one weirdo whose favorite episode (of the vanilla game, anyway) happens to be Lunar Apocalypse. I can still do this for the others just as easily, regardless of the last time I played. But I wanted to give my favorite its proper dues.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNinety-Six, on 12 July 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

Speak for yourself. I can name them all in my sleep with their associated songs:
I can still do this for the others just as easily, regardless of the last time I played.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

This is all great to see so far!

For reference, I have my times of playing with Duke Nukem 3D and the data *a lot*, so obviously I remembered more back then. Sadly it looked like interests changed with the times, so... you get the idea.

I'll add more contents from memory here, this time Duke quotes (at least as much as I bothered to recall until I decided I'm not interested to continue).
Afterwards, I think I'll finish and, well, allow myself to actually search for anything like map names and more.

Duke quotes:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by NY00123: 13 July 2018 - 02:46 AM

User is offline   NNC 

A 20 question test mostly about Duke levels. Give your answer in spoilers, I give you an upvote if at least 16 is correct. :(

1. Where can you find the Shrinker in Warp Factor?

2. What is the name of the sector effector that was used for the pigcop infight sounds in Pigsty?

3. Which level gives you the message "C'mon, quit cheating"?

4. Which is the only official level that use the Floorflame sprite?

5. Which staff member's picture can be seen above Faces of Death's blue keycard?

6. Which level in episode 3 didn't have a preset chaingun cannon (due to tagging error)?

7. How many dead Pigcop sprites are found in episode 2?

8. How many Sentry Drones are found in episode 4 (on the highest skill setting)?

9. Which is the only official level that use both Reconcars and Two Way Trains?

10. Which ambient sound can be heard in Hollywood Holocaust but never after that?

11. Which two levels have the one liner "This really pisses me off"?

12. Which is the only official level prior to episode 5 that use fake doors (no area behind)?

13. What is the name of the city where the "Nuclear Waste Disposal Unit" can be found?

14. What is the name of High Times' coffee shop?

15. Which weapon can be found first in episode 3 (not including Pistol)?

16. Which is the only Levelord-based level where the SVYT sign was replaced with SUYT?

17. How many official levels use the rotate rise bridge with actual rotation?

18. What is the name of the sector effector that is used for Duke Tag counter?

19. Which shareware level's music starts in the middle (compared to the shareware version)?

20. Where can you actually hear the ship horn sound in Derelict?

I'm not so knowledgeable when it comes to the technical factor (in fact I know pretty much nothing), so I doubt I'll get sixteen. But this sounds like fun anyway so what the hell:

Spoiler

User is offline   NNC 

Hi, not bad, but no upvote this time. :(

To avoid confusion:

Two way train is the train found in Dark Side, Warp Factor and some other levels. Some platforms, like the big one in Toxic Dump in the waterfall area can be classified as two way trains too. Rabid Transit one is a different animal species, it's the subway engine with different coding philosophy.

As for the 19th question: One of the level musics don't start where it should, like in the shareware version. I mean, the ending part is in the middle. Tricky question, I know.

View PostNancsi, on 13 July 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Hi, not bad, but no upvote this time. :(

To avoid confusion:

Two way train is the train found in Dark Side, Warp Factor and some other levels. Some platforms, like the big one in Toxic Dump in the waterfall area can be classified as two way trains too. Rabid Transit one is a different animal species, it's the subway engine with different coding philosophy.

As for the 19th question: One of the level musics don't start where it should, like in the shareware version. I mean, the ending part is in the middle. Tricky question, I know.

Spoiler

As I've hinted beforehand, I may allow myself to look at the game again from now on.

View PostNancsi, on 13 July 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

A 20 question test mostly about Duke levels. Give your answer in spoilers, I give you an upvote if at least 16 is correct. :(

While I've looked a bit at the game yesterday (mostly at E2L7), I still think it hasn't assisted enough with your questions, Nansci.
So, trying just for fun (albeit without episode 5 again):

Spoiler

This post has been edited by NY00123: 14 July 2018 - 04:53 AM

Spoiler

View PostDoom64hunter, on 14 July 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 14 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

User is offline   NNC 

OK, I wait 2 more days, and give you the answers.

My memory on this stuff isn't great, it always makes me laugh how I get stuck in a level I've beaten many times over the years. Played LA Rumble the other day, and it took me a good five minutes of wandering around before remembering/noticing the button behind the desk. To be fair that chair was kind of blocking the view.

User is offline   keiron 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 15 July 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

My memory on this stuff isn't great, it always makes me laugh how I get stuck in a level I've beaten many times over the years. Played LA Rumble the other day, and it took me a good five minutes of wandering around before remembering/noticing the button behind the desk. To be fair that chair was kind of blocking the view.

3DRealms should definitely release a patch to move the chair :(

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options