Duke4.net Forums: Duke Builder Unfinished Build - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Builder Unfinished Build

User is offline   Maisth 

Not sure a lot people know this but a guy named MXD was working on a level editor for Duke3D called Duke Builder, unfortunately the project was discontinued for some reason, until another guy on the ZDoom Discord posted an unfinished version of the Build, here's a video showing the Build in action.

Repent and Follow Jesus!

Jesus said "I am the light of the world" John 8:12

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Unfinished? Damn, it would have been really cool to have a level editor for Duke 3D like Doom Builder. I know almost everything about Mapster32, but I'm sure that having a more intuitive editor like that would have been attracted the atention of more mappers.

Posted Image

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

That's pretty slick. Song is catchy too.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
It's Green (Duke3D BETA Track!) in FLAC, OGG, & MP3 with metadata loop tags
Duke3D, Doom, Descent, Hocus Pocus, and more...
Legacy of Grabbag Metal Medley

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMaisth, on 29 June 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

until another guy on the ZDoom Discord posted an unfinished version of the Build, here's a video showing the Build in

So is it actually being developed, or is it where MXD had left it?

User is online   Paul B 

Not sure if i'm just getting old, but I would still prefer the Mapster editor. Personally, I find Mapster to be more efficient at tiling walls, aligning textures, and positioning sprites than using what was demonstrated. Another reason why I never took to the Hammer Editor. Also, wasn't a fan of seeing the focused wall illuminate when the cursor was on it, I found it to be very distracting possibly leading to a lot of eye strain. But then again I'm probably just old. =P

Nice find though, had no idea people were working on an alternate editor. Really looked like they were striving for a more true 3D look and feel.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 29 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   Doom64hunter 

Is this the same build that can be found here, or is it something unreleased?

https://github.com/m-x-d/Duke-Builder

Also, some interesting trivia on this editor:
The author, MaxEd, was originally the developer of GZDoombuilder, when one day in early 2017, he got really pissed off at users making suggestions and demands he didn't want to implement.
His final post was this:

I think I'll better go and make Duke Builder or something. See ya.

And here we are.

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 30 June 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

Is this the same build that can be found here, or is it something unreleased?

https://github.com/m-x-d/Duke-Builder

Also, some interesting trivia on this editor:
The author, MaxEd, was originally the developer of GZDoombuilder, when one day in early 2017, he got really pissed off at users making suggestions and demands he didn't want to implement.
His final post was this:

And here we are.

A friend of mine found the Build on the ZDoom discord server, not sure if the link its still there, but i will search it and post it here if i find it.

Edit: so i actually found the build, I'd recommend downloading it before MXD takes it down if it was leaked unintentionally https://app.box.com/...0byosy0z4ds44im

Repent and Follow Jesus!

Jesus said "I am the light of the world" John 8:12

This post has been edited by Maisth: 30 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMaisth, on 30 June 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

A friend of mine found the Build on the ZDoom discord server, not sure if the link its still there, but i will search it and post it here if i find it.

Edit: so i actually found the build, I'd recommend downloading it before MXD takes it down if it was leaked unintentionally https://app.box.com/...0byosy0z4ds44im

I gave it a quick spin. Very un-mapster, but it seems to work with EDuke32.exe, and it reads existing maps.

Who knows, what will happen with it. For now, it shows a lot of promises. :)

Ein sarkastischer Deutscher

User is offline   Doom64hunter 

View PostMaisth, on 30 June 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

It is the same build as the git repo, and it's licensed under the GPL, so feel free to fork it if someone else wants to continue developing the editor.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 June 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

That's pretty slick. Song is catchy too.

Song is from Far Cry 5.

User is offline   Player Lin 

So this is true...(WARNING: Drama happened inside the thread), MaxED decided to make a Build/Duke editor after ragequit-ed of his GZDoom-Builder works last year...

EDIT: Doom64hunter's post already nailed it.

Well, looks like it's dead too(he now focused on Quake 2 mod now)...I'm not surprise at all...but Duke/Build really needs more editors for sure...but looks like it's still looks just something like "the curse of Duke" too...

I'm the guy at 3DRealms Forum...

http://forums.3dreal...mber.php?u=3816

Sometimes, I act like a stupid asshole. I know, and I'm sorry about that. :(

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 July 2018 - 12:49 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options