Duke4.net Forums: Looping sounds - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looping sounds

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sometimes it's important to make ambient sounds loop, but there's a very audible gap when a sound restarts. This is nothing new, but, I could swear that they used to work better in EDuke32.

Here's the sound I'm trying to get looping right now:

https://www.dropbox....inloop.wav?dl=0

It loops flawlessly when I play it back in other apps. In EDuke32, I have tried the following:

soundonce SOUNDNAME // executed constantly

and

ifactorsound THISACTOR SOUNDNAME nullop else sound SOUNDNAME

I have also tried adding the looping bit to the sound definition. None of this makes any difference, there is always a very noticeable gap when the sound loops. This happens with other sounds, too. The only thing I can think to do for now is copy paste in the sound to make it much longer, so at least the gap is heard less frequently.

Oh, and my question: What should I do?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

What version are you using? I can't hear any gap on the bar music or born to be wild. I'm using r6640. Someone should bissect the problem.

User is online   Mark 

I loaded up my old Graveyard project and ran around listening to various looping sounds and it's seamless. So thats just to verify for TD that it did work fine back then.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostMike Norvak, on 28 June 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

I can't hear any gap on the bar music or born to be wild.

View PostMark., on 28 June 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

I loaded up my old Graveyard project and ran around listening to various looping sounds and it's seamless.
He's not talking about ambient sounds played by musicandsfx sprites, but about looping sounds using CON code. I'm using r4525 and if I set the the type flag of definesound to 3 it works fine. If it doesn't in newer revisions, then I suppose is a bug.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Well what do you know, it must have been a bug that got introduced recently and then fixed. Old r4545 was fine (according to Perro), but the version I was using until today, r6909 had the problem, but r6933 works fine!

• Music Producer

View PostPerro Seco, on 28 June 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

He's not talking about ambient sounds played by musicandsfx sprites, but about looping sounds using CON code. I'm using r4525 and if I set the the type flag of definesound to 3 it works fine. If it doesn't in newer revisions, then I suppose is a bug.

Oh, ok. I think I need to know a few about CON to figure that out. I don't know if is just me but as a mapper I always have seen coding beyond my scope.

Nice to read that the problem has been solved DT, I'm often hesitant to use newer revisions since I don't want to get my self in the trouble of bisecting revisions if a new bug is present, specially when I have not internet on my Laptop most of the time. Last time I downloaded a newer synthesis, the usetileshades command wasn't working right and the player picked health items even if he was at 100hp. I wonder if this has been fixed.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMike Norvak, on 28 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

and the player picked health items even if he was at 100hp. I wonder if this has been fixed.

I'm pretty sure THAT problem never happened with vanilla CONs. I do seem to remember something like that, though -- but it involved modified code in WGR2 with the player being able to have max health upgraded.

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 28 June 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure THAT problem never happened with vanilla CONs. I do seem to remember something like that, though -- but it involved modified code in WGR2 with the player being able to have max health upgraded.

Is just a matter of check in wich iteration it started ocurring, but what bugs me a bit is that the problem wasn't present with the eduke that comes with the release of the demo back in fabruary. Anyway I'll stick with that synthesis for now.

And speaking of sounds, someone knows if they are working with a new sound system for Ion Maden?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 28 June 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

r6909 had the problem, but r6933 works fine!

Nothing about sounds changed in these revisions. I suspect the test procedure used was faulty.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options