Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] WHITE NOISE - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] WHITE NOISE

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#1

Hello, this is my first level I published ever on the internet :)
It's called WHITE NOISE.

It has new graphics, new sounds, new music and a slightly changed gameplay.
The running speed is reduced and I deactivated autorun. If you run through the level you might miss some nice details ;-)

There a calm sections, huge battles (I suggest saving in regular intervals), platforming and something very different at the end.
I put a lot of details in the world. I also put some references to pop culture and some cameos in it.

There is a story. But it's not told directly. I put some hints for you so you can make a conclusion.

Install:
- Download it here: https://we.tl/ZPnSrBAp2x
- Unzip the folder where your eduke32.exe is located.
- start eduke32.exe -> select WHITENOISE in "Custom game content directory"
- play with polymer activated

I hope this works. Like I said before, it's my first level ever I published on the internet (+custom game content).

Do you have any troubles? Please let me know. Or maybe tell me how I can fix it.
If you liked it, tell me. If you didn't like it, then tell me what's not so good :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
17

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#2

By the way, this is one of the (hidden) references ;-)
Good luck finding it!

Posted Image
5

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 454

#3

Looks really nice, my only concern would be that the included art looks strikingly familiar to Duke World Tour. I'm not sure due to copyright if a person is allowed to include World Tour art along with a custom map file. If anyone knows... please clarify. Otherwise nice work and I'm looking forward to trying it out.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 18 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#4

Hmm, I thought that would be no problem, just like the other art files :-/
I removed the link as long as someone can't say that this is okay. Otherwise I will change the textures in the next days and put the file on again.
0

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer
  • 644

#5

The right way to do it is be clear that in order to play this they need World Tour installed, you should point that players need to copy-paste certain .ART files from Steam/steamapps/common/DukeNukem.... as well. Alternatively you can put some placeholder textures so players can still play this if they don't have WT, you can even use some selection of the original atomic edition art packed on those .art files if you don't have any custom textures to replace the new, in order to avoid multiple versions of the map. I don't think it would be a problem since players need duke3d.grp to play the map anyway. You can point players to copy-paste the new textures if they have WT, or use the placeholder .art files if they don't.


This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 18 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

2

User is offline   Jblade 

  • 1,633

#6

I don't think anybody would care enough to do anything about it, mods have been using shit from the other Build games for years and nobody's ever complained despite it not really being allowed.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 3,090

#7

 uLTra, on 18 June 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

Hmm, I thought that would be no problem, just like the other art files :-/


The problem is that World Tour is a relatively new game still being sold by the current owner of the Duke Nukem IP. It's true that fan-made projects have often included assets ripped from commercial games, but generally it's something really old or abandoned, or so totally unrelated to Duke or formatted so differently that it doesn't risk attracting the attention of the copyright holder.
0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#8

thanks to everyone who replied.
I will put this now online again but without the artfiles from WT.

DOWNLOAD: https://we.tl/tRnmajqwZI

I'm going to change all the textures, if there are enough people who are interested in playing my level. For now I hope there are plenty of people having WT installed :-)

Question:
is it possible, in mapster32, to change one specific texture on every wall with one command/click/key?
0

User is offline   Perro Seco 

  • 176

#9

 uLTra, on 18 June 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

is it possible, in mapster32, to change one specific texture on every wall with one command/click/key?
Yes, press Alt+C on one of the desired walls/floors/ceilings/sprites and all those who have the same texture will be changed to the one you previously saved in the clipboard.

I downloaded your map because it looks very good, although I don't have World Tour and neither a decent computer to play with Polymer, but maybe in a near future... :lol:

Posted Image
0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#10

 Perro Seco, on 18 June 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

Yes, press Alt+C on one of the desired walls/floors/ceilings/sprites and all those who have the same texture will be changed to the one you previously saved in the clipboard.

I downloaded your map because it looks very good, although I don't have World Tour and neither a decent computer to play with Polymer, but maybe in a near future... :lol:


Whoa, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!
It makes it now a whole lot easier.

I will change the textures. But it takes now some time. Because I want some that I can use in futures maps. There are sprites as well such as the bikes I actually don't want to miss.
0

User is offline   darkcaleb 

  • 135

#11

Hey great map for a beginner :dukeaffirmative: I did find the secret area you where talking about! Nice touch TMNT! Can i guess that you are going to work on more maps? :geek:

!This Is The Record Of My Nightmares!
Keep a Watch At ---> http://jerichoprojects.blogspot.nl/
0

User is online   Maisth 

  • 160

#12

Pretty nice map, i like how you build the storyline not by a text or anything like that but through atmosphere, I specially loved how this world you built felt in a real conflict and the ending parts are excellent aswell, I must say as a first map this is pretty good and well done, the mapping of the world reminds me a lot to shaky grounds from Merlijn.

The detail on the map was good but on some parts it felt like they could need more detailing.

Not to be Trusted, He is a slippery one.

Developer on Catharsis Reborn
0

User is offline   Forge 

  • 6,936

#13

 Trooper Dan, on 18 June 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

The problem is that World Tour is a relatively new game still being sold by the current owner of the Duke Nukem IP. It's true that fan-made projects have often included assets ripped from commercial games, but generally it's something really old or abandoned, or so totally unrelated to Duke or formatted so differently that it doesn't risk attracting the attention of the copyright holder.

meh.
this is like someone who has atomic giving someone who has 1.3d the new art back in 1997.

The only reason it even matters is because someone has to keep the site squeaky clean while they're in the middle of trying to produce their own commercial game (Ion M.).

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

2

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#14

 darkcaleb, on 18 June 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

Hey great map for a beginner :dukeaffirmative: I did find the secret area you where talking about! Nice touch TMNT! Can i guess that you are going to work on more maps? :geek:


Thanks! :-)

If I make another maps depends on how the map is becoming popular in the duke3d community.
It took me a whole lot of time to "finish" it and as a self-employed worker I have to organize my time well.

It's like a pilot to a series. If it fails, no more is produced ;-)
0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#15

 Maisth, on 18 June 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Pretty nice map, i like how you build the storyline not by a text or anything like that but through atmosphere, I specially loved how this world you built felt in a real conflict and the ending parts are excellent aswell, I must say as a first map this is pretty good and well done, the mapping of the world reminds me a lot to shaky grounds from Merlijn.

Thank you :-)
Yeah, in the development I discovered "shaky grounds." Great one! But it's still different though :-)

 Maisth, on 18 June 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

The detail on the map was good but on some parts it felt like they could need more detailing.

Maybe you can write me a message where you missed some details? Currently I'm changing the textures and along the way I can put some more details in it.
0

User is online   Loke 

  • 594

#16

What a cool map. Was actually pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Nice combination of action, exploration and some brief horror. The attack in the bar took me by surprise and were definitely the highlight of the map.

This felt very fresh and I hope you continue making more maps.
0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#17

 Loke, on 19 June 2018 - 07:03 AM, said:

What a cool map. Was actually pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Nice combination of action, exploration and some brief horror. The attack in the bar took me by surprise and were definitely the highlight of the map.

This felt very fresh and I hope you continue making more maps.

Thanks a lot for your comment!
I'm currently replacing the WT Textures with old or own textures and then I will put it on more platforms. When the people like it they will get more.
I got plenty of ideas. But you know.... time... sometimes time is short ;-)
2

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 454

#18

View PostuLTra, on 20 June 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Thanks a lot for your comment!
I'm currently replacing the WT Textures with old or own textures and then I will put it on more platforms. When the people like it they will get more.
I got plenty of ideas. But you know.... time... sometimes time is short ;-)


I had the chance to give this map a go and I really enjoyed how the map unfolded. There are a few problem areas which can squish the player or allow the player to bypass certain sections of the map. Never rely on blockable sprites to keep a player out of an area. You need to also use a blockable wall to ensure the player can't clip through the sprites. There were a few texturing and shading problems but otherwise a very enjoyable experience with a lot of creative work. The enemy placement was very well done as well, keep up the great work!


This post has been edited by Paul B: 23 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

0

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer
  • 644

#19

View PostPaul B, on 23 June 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

I had the chance to give this map a go and I really enjoyed how the map unfolded. There are a few problem areas which can squish the player or allow the player to bypass certain sections of the map. Never rely on blockable sprites to keep a player out of an area. You need to also use a blockable wall to ensure the player can't clip through the sprites. There were a few texturing and shading problems but otherwise a very enjoyable experience with a lot of creative work. The enemy placement was very well done as well, keep up the great work!


My opinion is more or less the same I remeber being squished because of a sloped ceiling and clipping through the subway entrance. There are some creative gameplay solutions involving platforming, I liked those. Overall it is a fun map, there is a fence in a deadend that wasn't so obvious you have to jump over so I had to cheat and clip through the restaurant entrance just to notice the exit leads to that fence and it's not blocking decoration, maybe you can point this kind of entrances more clearly on next maps, don't rely on player's intuition for this kind of stuff, at least not for main paths, for secrets it's ok. I have to admit I was scared by the end of the map expecting a new enemy or another jumpscare, I didn't know wheter the map came with new code or not, or if maybe you were gonna use scary art, Wich increased the sense of tension. It reminds me a lot about A Dream by Eddy Zikov. It also reminds me to some earlier and lost maps by my self but I'm not pretty sure why.


This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 23 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

0

User is offline   Vagan 

  • 1

#20

Edit: removed some positive comments intended for the *other* map recently released. I was in a huge rush.

Sorry Forge and everyone else!

This post has been edited by Vagan: 23 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

0

User is offline   Forge 

  • 6,936

#21

I should get around to playing the latest version one of these days, but the stuff I did see was pretty good aesthetically, and there are a couple neat firefights.
The scripted sequence is also well done.

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#22

View PostPaul B, on 23 June 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

I had the chance to give this map a go and I really enjoyed how the map unfolded. There are a few problem areas which can squish the player or allow the player to bypass certain sections of the map. Never rely on blockable sprites to keep a player out of an area. You need to also use a blockable wall to ensure the player can't clip through the sprites. There were a few texturing and shading problems but otherwise a very enjoyable experience with a lot of creative work. The enemy placement was very well done as well, keep up the great work!

Maybe you can tell me where in the map you experienced the problems? I think I'm getting blind for this kind of stuff.


View PostMike Norvak, on 23 June 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

My opinion is more or less the same I remeber being squished because of a sloped ceiling and clipping through the subway entrance. There are some creative gameplay solutions involving platforming, I liked those. Overall it is a fun map, there is a fence in a deadend that wasn't so obvious you have to jump over so I had to cheat and clip through the restaurant entrance just to notice the exit leads to that fence and it's not blocking decoration, maybe you can point this kind of entrances more clearly on next maps, don't rely on player's intuition for this kind of stuff, at least not for main paths, for secrets it's ok. I have to admit I was scared by the end of the map expecting a new enemy or another jumpscare, I didn't know wheter the map came with new code or not, or if maybe you were gonna use scary art, Wich increased the sense of tension. It reminds me a lot about A Dream by Eddy Zikov. It also reminds me to some earlier and lost maps by my self but I'm not pretty sure why.

Which subway entrance do you mean and where did you get squished? I didn't you new coding for the map. Only new sprites and the available SE Effects.
I made the gate now slightly open.


View PostForge, on 23 June 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

I should get around to playing the latest version one of these days, but the stuff I did see was pretty good aesthetically, and there are a couple neat firefights.
The scripted sequence is also well done.

You can better wait until I post the updated map with other textures and sprites. I also fix some issues and add and change some sections.


Aaaand thank you all for your time and comments!!


Maybe one more question: like I said I'm changing the WT textures. So far I can't really see anymore of it. But in the texture overview "V" it says that a WT Texture is used on 87 walls. Another on 76 walls and so on. But I can't figured out where they are located. Is there a way to highlight a them? I will change them with alt+c, but I'm curious where they are.
0

User is offline   Vagan 

  • 1

#23

This looks very good! :)

I have downloaded it but not played it just yet, because I wanted to ask about the reduced running speed.

If running speed was put back to stock, would that mess up the gameplay, by allowing eg the player to jump farther than intended?

I can re-enable autorun (I think); I prefer to have it on fwiw.

I will try it as you intended first, though.

Thank you, and looking forward to playing your map!

This post has been edited by Vagan: 24 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

0

User is offline   uLTra 

  • 36

#24

View PostVagan, on 24 June 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

If running speed was put back to stock, would that mess up the gameplay, by allowing eg the player to jump farther than intended?

That's correct, if you set the running speed to normal you can take shortcuts which you are not supposed to use.
0

User is offline   Vagan 

  • 1

#25

Thanks for the quick reply. Will play it as you intended :)
0

User is online   Zaxtor 

  • 1,281

#26

Link with file says


Transfer deleted
Sorry, this transfer has been deleted and is not available any more

Trequonia TC's Status:
Levels : 100% done - Textures : 100% done - Sounds : 100% done - Musics :100% done
Mod is finished, going to test it.
Trequonia's Official website
0

User is offline   Forge 

  • 6,936

#27

View PostZaxtor, on 25 June 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

Link with file says


Transfer deleted
Sorry, this transfer has been deleted and is not available any more

The link in th op was removed because it came with WT art.

the link in post #8 still works, but you need WT to play it.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__302077
1

User is online   Zaxtor 

  • 1,281

#28

Thankx.

Trequonia TC's Status:
Levels : 100% done - Textures : 100% done - Sounds : 100% done - Musics :100% done
Mod is finished, going to test it.
Trequonia's Official website
0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 454

#29

View PostuLTra, on 24 June 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

Maybe you can tell me where in the map you experienced the problems? I think I'm getting blind for this kind of stuff.


Please see below the images with the name "clipped" meaning I could pass through the gate or door without needing to go the proper way. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the areas where I was squished. I think I might have been squished in the garage where there was a cool second floor created out of sprites whereby you have to jump carefully across the damaged building. I don't have a screenshot of that area as I don't have a lot of time to play test. But below are the areas that definitely stuck out in my mind.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: squished.jpg
  • Attached Image: texture.jpg
  • Attached Image: Clipped.jpg
  • Attached Image: Clipped2.jpg



This post has been edited by Paul B: 26 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

0

User is online   Sanek 

  • 560

#30

Do you plan to upload this map on WT's steam workshop? It looks like a good map, would like to play it with this edition (since you use WT art here).
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options