Duke4.net Forums: clipshape maps and actors - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

clipshape maps and actors

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The clipshape feature when applied to moving actors is very buggy. Actors can hit their own clipshapes when firing, and I recently discovered that it breaks jumping (at least when using the hardcoded jumptoplayer). The clipshaped enemy will go straight up into the air and spin, keep spinning and come down. It can't get over itself -- I think it continually bumps into itself which triggers hardcoded angle changing, and the rapid angle changing makes it move in a very tight ciricle, thus appearing to not move horizontally.

I have a workaround for this which involves the enemy temporarily cactoring into an identical looking actor that doesn't use a clipshape. I don't expect that clipshapes will be worked on any time soon, but I'm reporting this nonetheless. I do not have time to look into it further.

EDIT: clipshape can have the same effect on the actor simply running forward as well (they are stuck on their own clipshape and can't run forward). Since this feature was primarily intended as a way to make models clip correctly, it's not surprising that it doesn't work well with moving actors. Still, it would be nice if it did.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 29 May 2018 - 01:35 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It would be helpful to know if this is always how clipshapes have worked, or if there was a regression since Helix implemented them. I can't spend time on this, and you're also busy, so maybe someone on one of your project teams could bisect it?

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm 99.99% sure this has always been the case with moving clipshapes; (I've ran into similar problems with vehicles using them) like you've just theorised, they were most likely never intended to be used on moving sprites.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Same, they have never worked for actors on my end either.

However, I do believe the intent was there for them to work with actors. There is a Pigtank in _clipshape0.map, coincidentally an actor that doesn't jump, fly or swim and moves incredibly slow.
Attached Image: capt0000.png

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDrek, on 29 May 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Same, they have never worked for actors on my end either.
Attachment capt0000.png

To be clear, they do work on actors in the important respects that when you shoot at, bump into or climb said actor it obeys the clipshape. But the actor can't move or shoot without hitting its own clipshape (at least not in the cases I have seen).

I honestly wasn't expecting any action on this in the near future, but there have been many times when I noticed problems and didn't say anything, only to see someone else report it much later (sometimes years later) to the surprise of the developers, so I thought I would at least put it on record that it is an issue.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options