Duke4.net Forums: Exhumed/Powerslave PC DOS underrated? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exhumed/Powerslave PC DOS underrated?

User is offline   Manhs 

I create this topic to know your opinion about it but also to talk about the DOS version of Exhumed.
The PC DOS version is not like the PS1/Saturn, not big jump/flying stuff but it's played like DOOM game, map per map, you can't go back in a previous map and you have limited life (game over is possible), the game was not liked because it wasnt as original as the PS1/Saturn version but i must say the PC DOS Version is the one who marked me the most when i was a teen.

Because the level design was so massive, long, dangerous with traps and very special in the atmosphere, i did some dreams about it in the past :(

Exhumed Saturn/PS1 has a map system who is really interesting, since we have big jump and flying power stuff, i suppose it's the reason why the level design dont have so much relief like the DOS version (if not you could just skip everything) so it's more about jumping and trick. I played the saturn version and the relief was well balanced with it but what shocked me is when i played the ps1 version after refinishing the dos version the level design seemed so flat/symetrical for the most and the game is not really hard or challenging like the DOS game but it's because they made the relief and stuff more simple in the ps1 version but the saturn version is really neat for it, not too much relief (again because big jump do stuff) but not too simple like the ps1 version.
Also in the ps1 version, they removed the item like the berserk, invisible (and an other? i dont remember) but for me, the console version was too symetrical/flat per moment (maybe because technical limit?)

For the PC version, it's played just like a normal fps lke a lot of other of the 90's but what make me love this game is the level design, exploration part, difficulty and inventory, i got a tear when i finaly finished this game some years ago!
The game was not liked because it was like any fps AND because the strafe control was awful (but there is now a patch who fix it, the game is still hard anyway :P, i would like a version with fixed mouse with more damage by the anubis).
What i like in Exhumed DOS is the fact you start with a first intro ma who is long, straight but still long to finish and even the last map is HUGE and the relief is still impressive, they made it neat from the start to the end, perfectly.
First 2 or 3 maps are ok but the next are really massive and complexe, exemple with this video:
00:38
https://youtu.be/xw59rjOJhCU

Even the boss area are very different for each BOSS.
Final boss area of Exhumed (PS1/Saturn): https://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg
Final boss area of Exhumed (PC): https://youtu.be/6POb58csl5A

The 2 games are very different but yeah, the Saturn version is the best I think (even if the PC version marked me more and is my favorite of the 3 (for the traumatizing mazes)
Saturn (and ps1) version gave to Exhumed his personnality and a mark in the world of FPS (which PC version did nothing new) but i think the PC version is not that bad, specially if you use the patch for control (i do without but for new player who don't like it, it's a good thing)

PC DOS version is maybe not original and special but for people who like complexe level design like in BLOOD, DOOM, Quake and co, you should try Exhumed PC (with or without the strafe patch) because the work done here is huge (maybe the best level design i saw in a fps and i played most of the best classic fps!)
Sorry for my broken english ;p

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I like all the versions of this game. The Build version of Exhumed is what I played as a kid and I liked it for all the reasons you stated, but when someone here linked Powerslave EX I was completely blown away by the quality of the PSX version. I think not since playing Portal did I have as much fun playing a game with such a degree of freedom in movement, and the puzzles/level design and how you gradually gain new skills made it feel naturally natural. Maybe it just fit my brain somehow, but it quickly became one of my favorite games to play.

It's a shame that the Saturn version appears to be superior, though. Not sure I could handle the downgrade in graphics and controls just for some improvement in level design, the extra items, etc.

But yeah, as a kid - Blood, Exhumed and Duke Nukem 3D was the holy trinity. I miss those huge ass levels and how every game from the late 90s had an unique theme and atmosphere. They had a soul somehow.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 20 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   leilei 

It's always had that "old game put on the backburner by the publisher" feel to me, especially considering how little has changed since the Dec 1995 public alpha demo release... it would be truly underrated had it came out on schedule before Duke3D to be appropriately together with the rest of the early clunky Build games, rather than the too-little-too-late it is.

This post has been edited by leilei: 20 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

User is offline   Manhs 

View Postleilei, on 20 May 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

It's always had that "old game put on the backburner by the publisher" feel to me, especially considering how little has changed since the Dec 1995 public alpha demo release... it would be truly underrated had it came out on schedule before Duke3D to be appropriately together with the rest of the early clunky Build games, rather than the too-little-too-late it is.

Let's say, it's more the fact people underestimate the stuff of Exhumed DOS because the strafe problem, not underrated like BLOOD was but people say Exhumed ps1 is 1000 better than Exhumed DOS, that's not true, it's better yeah (more original and all) but not that much, Exhumed on DOS has still his own quality and is one of the fps game of the 90's who has one of the most impressive level design like i said, you need like 20-30min to finish most of the maps. Im impressed to see how much work they put in the mapping for a DOS game who couldn't be as popular as the PS1/Saturn version :(

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

People always complain about strafing but I always just got used to playing with arrows + ALT strafing and never had any issues.
Maybe with a WSAD it becomes more prevalent, like non-combo strafe buttons having issues or something.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options