Duke4.net Forums: The return of Rage - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The return of Rage

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

http://m.ign.com/art...possible-sequel

It looks like Bethesda is going to announce Rage 2. How do you guys feel about that?

Personally, I think the first Rage had good moments. Surely it was a bit overshadowed by Borderlands regarding its scenario, but it tried to follow a more serious path. Some levels like the Dead City really had a lot of atmosphere. I didn't like the car racing parts that much, though. The ending also totally sucked. And then there were the issues with low-res textures.

Still, I think this franchise deserves a second chance and will hopefully set things right. id shouldn't only be about Doom and Quake.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I would imagine id's focused on Doom II the moment, so I can't see their involvement extending beyond being a support studio on the project.

Battlecry Studios now goes by the name Bethesda Game Studios Austin, so that would suggest they're working on an ip related to BGS. Since Bethesda's starting to work with AAA independents again (see Saber Interactive handling development duties on Quake Champions), who do you think will be developing it? My bet is Avalanche's Mad Max studio in Sweden, with Certain Affinity as a runner-up.

User is offline   Player Lin 

The problem of first RAGE for me is too short/lack of contents(even DLCs can't helps), the the main quest line just ended on weird point without explaining...

I hope RAGE 2 won't make the same shit again...I like the first game, and feel like torment after finished that... :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Rage had the makings of a solid shooter, but I hated the driving parts and the wild west town npc bullshit. Also the DLC made it a worse game, because it shoved a bunch of powerful free equipment into your inventory and took away focus by opening up optional DLC areas near the start.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

A sequel to Rage has a lot of potential and I'm very curious what it ends up looking like.
All the teasing seems to hint at a reveal in two days so we'll find out soon enough.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 12 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

User is offline   axl 

Good news. I really liked Rage's combat and gunplay... the combination with the wingsticks was incredibly satisfying... They should just drop the driving sequences. Hope they won't make the same mistake twice.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Trailer tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/...755564536741889
I just hope it's not a remaster, I would love a sequel that corrects the first game's mistakes.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

A Youtube ad for tomorrow's trailer:

https://my.mixtape.moe/feslms.mp4

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 13 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

• The Truth is in here

Well, at least that seems to confirm the rumors for good. Let's see what they will show. I hope this short teaser does not indicate the general direction of the project, because then it'd mean it's turning into a Borderlands clone with better graphics. Exactly what they shouldn't do...

User is offline   spessu_sb 

I feel like this is something that isn't needed.

Rage 1 flopped and for a reason. R2 gonna flop aswell if it wil arrive, same as Prey 2017 did.

edit: they could use the following naming to get some extra attention. Rage 2 Depth Too

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 14 May 2018 - 04:25 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I see no id Software logo on that short teaser. Guess another studio is developing it which is a bit weird to say the least.

• The Truth is in here

Timing also does not seem the best. Everybody knows Gearbox is focussing on Borderlands 3 with all the manpower they can possibly spare right now, and I believe the anticipation for that is higher. The first Rage was not so well received back then, but I'd still like to see a second part which does it better.

I also doubt id is working on this now since it is safe to assume they are busy with a sequel to Doom 2016.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 13 May 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

A Youtube ad for tomorrow's trailer:

https://my.mixtape.moe/feslms.mp4

Ew. It's all purple. Wth.

• The Truth is in here

Update: According to the Bethesda website, Rage 2 is developed by Avalanche (Just Cause, Mad Max) and id. However, I think id is just co-piloting this - which would also explain the different style (I mean... PINK!) that can already be seen in the teaser.

PS: If those characters in the teaser were taken from ingame footage, I'd be truly impressed. Too bad it's apparently just cleverly inserted actors.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I like this "assault on the senses" but without gameplay there is really nothing to talk about. Hope tomorrow's video will shed some light on that.

• The Truth is in here

My German PC gaming mag GameStar will reveal a premium user exclusive interview with the devs about the game. I have a subscription, so I can watch and will tell you anything that's interesting from that vid here.

...huh...

Interested to see the gameplay trailer.
Glad to see it isn't a reboot ala Prey, both with the name and having the same mutants/big ass giant mutant and whatever the space marine guy faction was called. Authority?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 14 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

User is offline   LAW 

I loved the atmosphere of this game, even from the start - the music and setting of the Ghost Hideout level had thrilled my guts. I think the game has been rushed in development. Let's hope it won't happen again. I prefer Rage 2 over Doom 2, because I was disappointed by the Doom 2016. Sure, it was cool, but I have been expecting "Hell on Earth".

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't really care where Doom takes place as long as it's fun. Doom 2016 definitely was. A sequel, if made, would likely take place on Earth. At least I hope so. It's about time. If it isn't I hope there will at least be some more varied locales. Earth seems like a nobrainer, though.

/derail

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Some tweets about id's involvement:
https://twitter.com/...030306640592896
https://twitter.com/...074889596620800

https://twitter.com/...068096250130432
https://twitter.com/...065139987230721

Nothing super informative sadly.

User is offline   leilei 

I was expecting Brink 2 to be honest. Brink would benefit from this, even though another Splash Damage'd Brink would mean the same poor buggy sluggish objectives game.

This post has been edited by leilei: 14 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

View Postleilei, on 14 May 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

I was expecting Brink 2 to be honest. Brink would benefit from this, even though another Splash Damage'd Brink would mean the same poor buggy sluggish objectives game.

How'd Dirty Bomb fair?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNightFright, on 15 May 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

GS: Are you following the games-as-a-service (microtransactions) approach with Rage 2?
TW: Yes.

GS: What do you think about loot boxes in Rage 2?
TW: You buy the game and then you play it. (Laughs)

??????

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 May 2018 - 06:49 AM

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I guess they are going for "microtransactions yes, loot boxes no". Not sure if we should be relieved now or worried. Having MTs in an id title will be weird, but if it's just cosmetic items, I guess I could just ignore it. One way or the other: MTs is nothing that a modern retail title needs or should have. I can accept it in F2P titles like Path of Exile (especially the way it's done there), but after you have already paid for a game? I don't like that in general. Regardless what they are selling.

One way or the other, no way I'm gonna pre-order this the way I did with the first Rage. Even though Doom 2016 was great, I am sceptical about the course of id and want to see what others say about it first.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

For Doom I think id stumbled onto something that was golden. Not necessarily a fluke, they did a lot of hard work and made a lot of great decisions, but it's not their norm for sure. Definitely want to see what happens before I drop any coin.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

Posted Image

This image confirms there will be some direct ties to the first Rage; this character is from the first, I think his name was like Kovar or Kvasir, and he was the one that sent you into Deadcity and gave you suit upgrades.
Its been confirmed you aren't playing the same character and instead play a new one whose home was destroyed and left for dead; basically, you are starting out with nothing and working your way up.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 15 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Also: at the beginning of the gameplay trailer you can clearly see Mutant Bash TV returning too. That was the best part of the first game so yay! Hope this guy returns too:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Engine confirmed: RAGE 2 is using the Apex Engine = upgraded Avalanche tech:
https://twitter.com/...465633238937600

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'll keep an open mind about it. I'm a little annoyed at Gearbox right now for saying they won't announce Borderlands 3 at E3, and that makes me more positively disposed to Rage 2.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

From the trailer, it looks like Rage 2 is everything that Borderlands should have been and never was.

I keep wondering why Gearbox hasn't done what Id has, pulled their fingers out of their asses and paired up with a studio to make something with the Duke IP.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options