Duke4.net Forums: an odd glitch - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

an odd glitch

User is offline   Mark 

I'm not asking for a fix because chances are if I delete these 3 sectors and rebuild them it will be fine. Its just one of those odd things that happen very seldom.

In the game when hit with anything they block and show the force field sprite. They are using HRP textures. Nothing custom. No tags anywhere on the crate walls or sectors. Goofy.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: boxes.jpg
  • Attached Image: boxes2.jpg

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Maybe they have the force field tile number saved in their overpic property? That happened to me in a map with some walls spawning pieces of glass when affected by explosions, like if they were mirrors, and if I remember correctly was because of their overpic.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks for the hint. I'll look up what overpic is and see if thats the case here.
No luck in finding anything I can understand about overpic or how to check or change it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Press F8 on the wall in 2D mode, it will list all of the wall properties including overpicnum

User is offline   Mark 

do I change it to zero if I want no overpic? or -1?

Is there an explanation of its use somewhere?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I guess the safest thing would be to change overpic to the same number as the picnum.

I don't know the conditions under which it displays or reacts to the overpic instead of the picnum, although I'm sure some guys around here do.

User is offline   Mark 

I guess I should just look at a properly working texture and compare. :(

yep, I need to change it to zero. I have no idea why it got changed to a different tile but oh well...

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Not sure if you guys are talking about what i think you ae talking about.

But if you press M on a red wall (on 3d mode) to create a mask, select the forcefield texture and then take the mask away (either with /, 1 or with M again) the wall will act as a forcefield.

User is offline   Mark 

In this case I created 3 square sectors on the floor, set the firstwall so as not to mess up the sloped ceiling, raised them up, put a texture on them. No masking.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark., on 10 May 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

In this case I created 3 square sectors on the floor, set the firstwall so as not to mess up the sloped ceiling, raised them up, put a texture on them. No masking.

it's a random thing.

sometimes two-sided walls (red walls) take on hittable properties as well - so you get bullet tags hanging in the air if you try to shoot over/through them.

don't know why it happens.

User is offline   Mark 

I was doing more mapping in the same area as the previous one which produced the errors. Turns out almost every single sector I created had 1 of 3 different overtiles on each side of the red walls. I had to manually delete them in over 100 walls. What a P.I.A.

Its a good thing I'm almost done in that area. :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That sucks -- if you had said something, me or someone else could have whipped up a mapster script that would have fixed that for you in minutes.

User is offline   Mark 

Just FYI, the areas giving me grief are the ones behind the curtains in the E1L2 strip club.

In Duke 1.3D the masked wall with force field texture will actually appear there if you enter DNUNLOCK. There are some other locations, don't quite remember where now.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHigh Treason, on 16 May 2018 - 03:41 AM, said:

In Duke 1.3D the masked wall with force field texture will actually appear there if you enter DNUNLOCK. There are some other locations, don't quite remember where now.

I think there's something like that in Dark Side near the outer door of the airlock.

User is offline   Mark 

Any guesses as to why the overtile is being applied to all new sector walls in that area?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMark., on 16 May 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

Any guesses as to why the overtile is being applied to all new sector walls in that area?

The texture was already set on something else in the area, but the masking bit was turned off. Drawing new walls adjacent to a wall with the texture set on it propagated it to the new walls as well.

User is offline   Mark 

OK. That means I can blame the sloppy mappers from 3DR because I was modding E1L2. I went and checked another copy of the original and found a few white walls in the offending area with hightile numbers set.

User is offline   Mark 

I found another glitch. I have no idea how long its been happening. Polymer, and HRP. I haven't tested Polymost yet. edit: It happens in Polymost also.

In the attached pic I used the gate model as a floor shadow by giving it transparency. It looks fine in Mapster. But in the game it renders as solid, no transparency. As a test I added 2 more models and one of those 2 exhibits the same problem and one displays fine. I'll have to test more models to see if I can come up with a pattern for why some display proper transparency and others do not.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: transbug.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I think it's just one of those cases where certain tile numbers have hardcoding on them, in this case affecting cstat. If that's the case then it's nothing new and it's not a glitch. You would have to either put the model on a new tile number that has no hardcoding on it, or you would have to introduce scripting to counter-act the hardcoding.

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, my guess was a cstat thing and thats why I waited for a response before I started bisecting again. I guess I'll just go with no shadows.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options