Duke4.net Forums: Reverb effects OGG music - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reverb effects OGG music  "video + example inside"

User is offline   Jblade 

Reverb currently affects OGG music as well - I put together a little demo map as well as a video showcasing this bug in action (and hopefully makes testing a solution easier)

video: https://youtu.be/0Xjj-TpSoQk

example map: https://www.dropbox....chobug.zip?dl=0

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostJblade, on 03 May 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

Reverb currently affects OGG music as well - I put together a little demo map as well as a video showcasing this bug in action (and hopefully makes testing a solution easier)

video: https://youtu.be/0Xjj-TpSoQk

example map: https://www.dropbox....chobug.zip?dl=0

Hey that's actually interesting, despite it's a bug. I wish eduke had a real reverb instead of that short high feedback delay.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Must be due to every sound being piped through ASS (Apogee Sound System), with real MIDI synth the sound couldn't be affected even if you wanted it to.
This also works on XM music too, encountered this a few times during IM development as we had door sounds that surpassed ID of 1000.

Would require decoupling audio to separate channels, this is one of the reasons why the volume sliders aren't really the best things around either.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 15 June 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Ogg and FLAC files get played through the ASS (Apogee Sound System) like sounds. There would need to be a separate path for music to be buffered separately so that volume and reverb effects don't touch music.

View PostHendricks266, on 27 April 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

It has been mentioned before. The issue is that the audio library treats OGG and FLAC music as sounds, and reverb is applied to all sounds using one common buffer. It could be fixed by buffering music tracks separately. The last time I looked into fixing it, I was not up for the challenge.

User is offline   Jblade 

I remember reading that, but I thought I'd post about it anyway with a demonstration in case something changes and a fix can be pursued in the future.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I think the first thing that should be fixed is the reverb effect itself. I am nobody to say what has to be done in EDuke32, but I always wondered why it doesn't work, it could be a very cool feature to use in lot of places.

• Weaponized Autism

What do you mean that it doesn't work? Play Toxic Dump and toward the end it will work.

User is offline   Mark 

Maybe he meant it doesn't work well. I haven't tried to use for years since the last time I did it sounded goofy. Like in Jblade's latest video.

• Weaponized Autism

We're not changing how it sounds. If it sounds the same as Duke originally did, it's staying that way.

In EDuke32 reverb doesn't work as in the original Duke 3D, altought the original doesn't work very well either. Just let me know what program can I use to record screen and sound, and I'll show the difference.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPerro Seco, on 03 May 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

In EDuke32 reverb doesn't work as in the original Duke 3D, altought the original doesn't work very well either. Just let me know what program can I use to record screen and sound, and I'll show the difference.

This could be my memory playing tricks on me, but, I seem to remember the reverb effect taking a dive in quality at some point several years back. If I'm correct, the EDuke32 reverb used to sound like the original, and then started sounding different at some point. Again, I could be wrong. Sorry for the nearly useless post.

User is offline   Mark 

I remember it not working at all for a short time. When it came back it still sounded crappy. I don't remember if it was crappier than before or not.

I have recorded a video of the original Duke 3D with DOSBox. It shows how the reverb effect breaks during game, and if you test the map with EDuke32 (because I can't record it right now) you'll see it doesn't sound the same.

I enter the reverb area at the beginning of the video, and from 00:05 to 00:12 it sounds decent. From 00:12 to 00:15 I exit the area just to reenter it and show how the effect breaks. Everytime I do this the bug gets worse until being annoying. In EDuke32 the effect is already broken from the beginning, so if devs are interested in fixing it, they'll also have to fix the bug from the original game to avoid the deterioration of the effect during game. Of course, as I said before in other posts, I'm available to search the last working build of EDuke32.

Edit: I can't attach the map to this post, so here's the link to it in Mediafire.

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 04 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options