Duke4.net Forums: NPC girl sprites - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NPC girl sprites

User is offline   Mark 

OK. My mistake. When I think "software mode" I think lo res,blocky,8bit color. So I should have said for non-vanilla modders.

The sprites are nice for people playing with vanilla graphics.

A model might be preferable for people playing with the HRP.

A few updates:

-I found out that png files give me an error and won't save if they're too large in photoshop. That's because my strippers/karaoke girls have a lot of dancing frames.
-I've made a stripper NPC. She has 2 variants: blonde streak hair and a 1 piece to look like the pole dancer whose back is shown and one wearing lingerie and blue (customizable) hair resembling the unused impaled girl sprite. They have 4 dances: 2 stripper dances, show their boobs/tassels, the cheerleader waving around dance, and a unique one I posted earlier. These girls have around 200 frames if you use all dances!
-I made the karaoke girl using my stripper as the base. Her usual dance looks odd in certain angles, but I was trying to match the original sprite. She also has one additional unique dance shaking her booty.
-The cheerleader is nearly complete. She has her usual waving around + 2 cheerleader type dances: split kick, jumping splits. She also has pompoms on her hands at all times.
-I started work on the cavegirl, which was a variant of the cheerleader. To make her more unique, I gave her messy hair and darker/dirty skin. Her posture is hunched over. She has the usual waving around dance and also a bowing down "dance". I'm debating whether to have her hair "fly" wildly around the air like the original sprite. It makes sense for the cavegirl because she looks crazy but for the cheerleader it doesn't make sense to me. It would give cheerleaders a huge headache. Also I think it would a good way to make them more unique from each other.
-Next step is starting on the prostitute. I still need some comments on this one. So far, she'll have the usually walk, crouch, run, stand. For unique poses, she'll be smoking, maybe doing a dance or pull down her top, lift up her skirt has a tease. Would a hooker dance? And maybe down the road after finishing her, I'll make a variant that looks exactly like Jill Valentine.

-For the slime babes, I have a test sprite of an exploding freed woman ready. Since I'm working on making all the girls more animated, I was thinking about maybe making some small movements in the slime babes like the pod girl moving her arms. I can't do all angles unfortunately because that would require me doing everything from scratch and would be a nightmare trying to match the originals. But I think maybe making the slime babes move slightly or make the slime itself move and pulsate would be good.
-For the hanging babe, if you could save her, how should that work? She's hanging so would she fall to the ground? This also presents a challenge when she's underwater, which I always assumed she was dead, but yet you can still hear her say "Kill me" albeit slower speed. Maybe she just explodes instead of saving her?

Unfortunately I don't know if I can attach the sprite sheets here because they are so large and my storage is getting pretty full, but I'll show a preview of what I'm talking about later when I'm on my other computer.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 14 February 2018 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   Mark 

The HRP hooker in the HHR project had added anims for running a hand through her hair and admiring her fingernails during her idle mode. I'm not sure how well that would translate to only a few sprite frames.

I agree, less wild hair for the cheerleader.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I think if the size of the sprite sheet is crashing photoshop, that's an indication that the character has too many sprites. As great as the animations are, maybe there are too many of them or the animations have too many frames. Remember, these characters are being put into regular old Duke 3D -- more detailed characters with tons of extra animations are going to look out of place if you push it too far. Also it starts to put strain on everything; more work to arrange the sprites, to code them, more work for you, more strain on performance if you start to get a lot of those characters in game. I've noticed that you keep upping the ante on new characters -- I just finished putting the modified armored pig animations into the game and he takes up 2/3 of an .art file. What I'm saying is you are doing awesome work, but it's time to tone it down a bit so we can keep it under control.

Trooper Dan, on 14 February 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

I think if the size of the sprite sheet is crashing photoshop, that's an indication that the character has too many sprites. As great as the animations are, maybe there are too many of them or the animations have too many frames. Remember, these characters are being put into regular old Duke 3D -- more detailed characters with tons of extra animations are going to look out of place if you push it too far. Also it starts to put strain on everything; more work to arrange the sprites, to code them, more work for you, more strain on performance if you start to get a lot of those characters in game. I've noticed that you keep upping the ante on new characters -- I just finished putting the modified armored pig animations into the game and he takes up 2/3 of an .art file. What I'm saying is you are doing awesome work, but it's time to tone it down a bit so we can keep it under control.

That's fine. I'm content with having just 1 dance per girl as long as they have multiple angles instead of just 1.

• Duke Plus Developer

Here's a point of reference which could be useful. The lizard trooper (most common enemy in Duke 3D) has quite a few animations for an old 8-bit game, with walking, shooting, crouching, sitting, jetpacking, cloaking, dying, suffering and custom jib sprites. The total number of tiles he takes up is 69-70. His standing size is 55 pixels wide by 78 tall.

Someone would appreciate to see even the ingame objects with multiple angles? Same as the Vanilla as a fuck mod for DOOM does. Start from 0:26.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 14 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Fantinaikos, on 14 February 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

Someone would appreciate to see even the ingame objects with multiple angles?
They don't look so good. I think using multiple angles is not a great technique to represent 3D objects, so better use it only when necessary, like with enemies. Maybe using voxels is a better solution for other objects (and only if they're so big they look bad with sprites, like vehicles).

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 14 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

For non-character objects, if you want to keep them classic but add 3D, use voxels. Voxels have been part of Build since day 1, they look better for that kind of object than multi-sided sprites, and the community already has a pretty extensive library of them. So we are way ahead of Doom in that area already, no need to make extra work and start adding a bunch of multi-sided sprites.

I've been working quite a bit on the existing babes and making them more lively and multiple angles. But for the slime babes, it's more difficult because replicating the entire look of slime babes in 3d is way too labor intensive. Also, a cocooned babe doesn't walk around, so I decide to make this animation instead similar to the pod babe:

NSFW?
Spoiler

I gave the slime subtle movements to make it look like it's alive and to up the creep factor.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 23 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

sebabdukeboss20, on 23 February 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

I've been working quite a bit on the existing babes and making them more lively and multiple angles. But for the slime babes, it's more difficult because replicating the entire look of slime babes in 3d is way too labor intensive. Also, a cocooned babe doesn't walk around, so I decide to make this animation instead similar to the pod babe:

NSFW?

I gave the slime subtle movements to make it look like it's alive and to up the creep factor.

That's great, and it makes it possible to simply swap them in existing maps. If you had multiple angles on them, it wouldn't look right on existing maps.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Have you considered making replacement artwork for Penthouse Paradise?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

The source images exist (NSFW) for all of the "art", they don't need to be re-created.

User is online   Phredreeke 

I know, I just think seb's art style would be more coherent with the rest of the game than photos

Attached Image: mario.png

A little variation I made from the NPC guy. Makes a nice level easter egg.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 09 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

sebabdukeboss20, on 09 March 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

mario.png

Cool! :)

• Duke Plus Developer

mario.png

Kind of terrifying! I have an idea that I will PM.

• Duke Plus Developer

Trooper Dan, on 11 March 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

Love it! It really looks like an organized dance/cheer routine.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 11 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

mario.png

A little more editing & it could look like Chuckie

• Duke Plus Developer

sebabdukeboss20, on 11 March 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

Love it! It really looks like an organized dance/cheer routine.

There's a little subroutine that runs when the first cheerleader sees the player to make sure they all start together. Otherwise, they would wake up at slightly different times and be out of sync.

• Duke Plus Developer

Some NPC girl sprites shoot back.

A cool 90's take on Bombshell, with sprites by sebabdukeboss20. Will be a sidekick for Duke in Alien Armageddon, eventually a playable character too.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Trooper Dan, on 31 March 2018 - 11:39 PM, said:

Some NPC girl sprites shoot back.

A cool 90's take on Bombshell, with sprites by sebabdukeboss20. Will be a sidekick for Duke in Alien Armageddon, eventually a playable character too.

Loving it!

So cool, so hot ^^

• Duke Plus Developer

User is offline   Mark 

I regret that I have only 2 thumbs I can raise upward for that video. :P

User is offline   Jblade 

Awesome stuff, but now I'm sad because it's so much better than the shit I've done D: I remember you saying you had a prospective VA for her; if you did manage to do that, she should definitely react and respond to Duke's comments and stuff like that. That'd make her feel much more alive.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That's pretty fuckin' badass.

• Duke Plus Developer

Jblade, on 03 April 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

Awesome stuff, but now I'm sad because it's so much better than the shit I've done D: I remember you saying you had a prospective VA for her; if you did manage to do that, she should definitely react and respond to Duke's comments and stuff like that. That'd make her feel much more alive.

Your stuff is always top notch, so I can't fully agree with your sentiment, but I appreciate the compliment nonetheless. :P Obviously, a tremendous amount of credit goes to sebabdukeboss20 for making the amazing sprites.

I haven't done anything regarding getting a VA yet, and that prospect you refer to is still an option. I agree about reacting to Duke.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options