Duke4.net Forums: WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses! - Duke4.net Forums

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses!  "WG and DT present the ultimate 8-bit medieval fragfest"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Noted. Could you give me the tile numbers of the torches that don't emit light? It would save me time hunting them down.

Also, in regards to the floating sector effect you wanted...is this something you would use to improve the current map or on another map in the near future, or is it just something you think might be potentially useful? If it's not something that will be used any time soon, then it's not really a priority.

User is offline   Spiker 

The torches are 3867 and 3871. In this map I want to use for lava sectors. I would also like to use it in possible DP maps in the future. No need to hurry though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on Jul 14 2010, 11:03 AM, said:

The torches are 3867 and 3871. In this map I want to use for lava sectors. I would also like to use it in possible DP maps in the future. No need to hurry though.

I'll add 3867. But 3871 is already working (I just tested it). EDIT: If we're going to post at each other more than a few times, we should do it on MSN (I'm online now).

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 14 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Awesome, I just added it to the tutorials. Have to wait for it to be authorized.

User is offline   Spiker 

At least these videos are much better than the previous ones where there is a lot of pointless wandering and generally it could be done faster. But it's because I've played it so many times and this is my level :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Patch time!

The attachment contains new CONs that fix bugs and add a new effect, and an updated copy of Jedrik.map with the effect included.

Here's instructions on how to make the effect in mapster:

SE 91 Floating Sector

The sector rises and falls in a sine wave pattern.

Hitag: The amplitude of the wave. The higher hitag is set, the greater distance the sector will move up and down. If hitag is not set, then it will be changed to the default value, 64, which is a good value to simulate floating on liquid.

Extra: This determines how long it takes the sector to complete the up/down cycle. The higher extra is set, the less time it takes (e.g. extra 2 would make it go extremely slow, whereas 256 would be very fast). If extra is not set, then it will be changed to the default value, 32, which is a good value to simulate floating in liquid.

Shade: This is the time offset, in tics. You may not want to have everything going up and down in perfect sync, so you can set different shade values on the different SEs to make them out of sync (typically you will want the shade values to be at least 10 apart).

This effect can be used on any sector, including ones that already have other effects. It can be used on platforms in liquid, or on the liquid itself, or both. Sprites that are touching or nearly touching the sector will move up and down with it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when using this SE, the floor height of the sector effectively becomes the height of the SE. On a sloped sector, you might get surprising results, depending on where you put the SE on the slope. Usually it's a good idea to put the SE near the center. Finally, do NOT combine this SE with SE 31 or 32.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 14 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

The real question is what really floats? Big heavy rocks? Or liquid lava? :)

Also you forgot to add burning sound to fire and torches :)

This post has been edited by Spiker: 14 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Realistically, neither the rock islands nor the lava would be moving up and down, but it looks cool and it's the effect you wanted.

I'll add the burning sound soon. I think we should get a new sound for that, though -- I've heard enough of the old fire crackling sound (plus that sounds more like burning wood, not a torch).

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 14 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

ok :)

I made some small updates to the website with screen shots and walk through of spikers level, and updated the download. http://two.wgrealms....reenshots3.html
What would be cool is a new trailer showing both characters, a v1.1 trailer.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I might have found a potential gameplay issue with Jedrick, when he stands next to a wall, facing it, and shoots an arrow into it, he immediately steps onto the arrow, and this can be repeated until the character reaches the top of the wall. I noticed it might be a problem if the player can do this to climb to places he's not normally meant to go. Unless this is an intentional ability?

I made a video showing what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPJ3gJHtHg...e=youtube_gdata

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Heh, arrow climbing is a well known ability and it's there intentionally, you could have saved yourself the trouble of making the movie. I haven't worried about it because I figure that everyone has already beaten the game with Duke before using him...although I suppose that's not really true since a new player could open Jedrik with the new level and then play the episode for the first time using him after that.

I could "fix" it simply by making the arrows non-blocking.

EDIT: And before anyone mentions it, Jedrik can also do longer jumps by dashing and then jumping, and that also allows him to get to places Duke can't. People could cheat themselves out of seeing some parts of the levels with that trick as well. I don't think it's a very big deal, but in future versions I could make it so that you have to complete the first episode with Duke before the Jedrik mission becomes available.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 16 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Or at least make a little harder than just hugging the wall and firing the bow in a loop? Idea: don't allow shooting the wall directly in front of you to "teleport" you like it does on that video but rather have the newly create arrow push you back, so that you'd have to put the arrow off to the side and jump to it. You could combine that with having arrows break if you're standing on them for too long; this way, wall climbing would be a little trickier and would require to be in constant motion.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Jul 16 2010, 10:27 PM, said:

Or at least make a little harder than just hugging the wall and firing the bow in a loop? Idea: don't allow shooting the wall directly in front of you to "teleport" you like it does on that video but rather have the newly create arrow push you back, so that you'd have to put the arrow off to the side and jump to it. You could combine that with having arrows break if you're standing on them for too long; this way, wall climbing would be a little trickier and would require to be in constant motion.

I'll make it so that the arrow will clatter to the ground if fired at point blank instead of sticking in the wall. Making them break when stood upon for a few seconds is also a good idea. I've played quite a bit with that character and never had any desire to use arrow climbing, so it's not something I've been worrying about.

A nice little review I found.
http://torontodragracing.com/video/npc%27s...___Gameplay__2_
This is all rather inspiring, Id love to spend some more time on this if I had a decent amount.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostWilliam Gee, on Jul 25 2010, 11:51 PM, said:

A nice little review I found.
http://torontodragracing.com/video/npc%27s...___Gameplay__2_
This is all rather inspiring, Id love to spend some more time on this if I had a decent amount.

That is indeed a nice little review, but ...Toronto drag racing? :)

User is offline   RazorZ 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 26 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

That is indeed a nice little review, but ...Toronto drag racing? :)

Yeah, what was that? :)

Anyway, it still nice to hear and see that even Duke Nukem 3D mods can be so popular that people absolutely must review them on pages like that. :D

Finally, after a serie of problems with my PC's heating, I can check the new map and the new character !
Spiker's map is very nice, although sometimes a bit too challenging (the areana is simply too much). The mushroom puzzle is great idea !
As for the new charcter, I'm playing the first map of the complete episode and I can see some problems. The bigger one is related to the flying skulls : how I'm supposed to kill them if they dodge my arrows ? Ok, I can use the hammer or lure them to the "cursed" enemies, but overall they're a real pain in the ass playing as Jedrik.
I appreciate the choice of making the long-range weapons of Jedrik weak and make him a close-combat type, but there are some issues with this. First of all, Jedrik has too few energy to actually being able to withstand the majority of enemies in close combat. Let's take the shotgun demons : a single shot from them, taken in close combat, is fatal. Even with your shield, if you slightly miss the timing of the blow, you're dead meat. But, you can say, you've the arrows for these types of enemies. Right, but they're far more limited than Duke's bullets and you need at least two arrows for killing an enemy. Wasting the special arrows on these weaklings is clearly a mistake, so...
In short, I think a bit more tweaking is required in order to fully appreciate Jedrik. I can suggest more life points for him (150 ? 200 ?) or a more "heavy" armor that cuts dramatically the damage.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Nov 1 2010, 05:46 PM, said:

Finally, after a serie of problems with my PC's heating, I can check the new map and the new character !
Spiker's map is very nice, although sometimes a bit too challenging (the areana is simply too much). The mushroom puzzle is great idea !
As for the new charcter, I'm playing the first map of the complete episode and I can see some problems. The bigger one is related to the flying skulls : how I'm supposed to kill them if they dodge my arrows ? Ok, I can use the hammer or lure them to the "cursed" enemies, but overall they're a real pain in the ass playing as Jedrik.
I appreciate the choice of making the long-range weapons of Jedrik weak and make him a close-combat type, but there are some issues with this. First of all, Jedrik has too few energy to actually being able to withstand the majority of enemies in close combat. Let's take the shotgun demons : a single shot from them, taken in close combat, is fatal. Even with your shield, if you slightly miss the timing of the blow, you're dead meat. But, you can say, you've the arrows for these types of enemies. Right, but they're far more limited than Duke's bullets and you need at least two arrows for killing an enemy. Wasting the special arrows on these weaklings is clearly a mistake, so...
In short, I think a bit more tweaking is required in order to fully appreciate Jedrik. I can suggest more life points for him (150 ? 200 ?) or a more "heavy" armor that cuts dramatically the damage.

Actually I find that beating the game with Jedrik is pretty easy. From your comments, it doesn't sound like you know all of his moves. Make sure you read all the game tips or the documentation.

I already know the various moves (I didn't mention the shield bash, but it's quite useful), but the overall impression I got is that Jederik is too weak to actually engage enemies in close combat. And before you got the hammer, dealing with flying skulls is terrible.
And, no offense, calling WGR2 "easy" is an absurdity. It's a great, challenging mod that tends to be frustrating sometimes, especially when you play it for the first time. Obviously, when you know the structure of the levels, the enemies placement and the various use of the weapons everything seems more friendly, and this is surely your case, having played and tested the mod several times.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

You didn't mention the easiest way of dealing with the skulls. You get the corrupter blade very early (before the hammer) and you can use it to summon your own flaming skulls which will kill the enemy skulls.

Keep in mind we're talking about an unlockable character that the levels weren't designed for. I do find it fairly easy to beat the game with him overall, but some things are more difficult when using him and some other things less difficult. I'm not too concerned about it since it's supposed to be an extra challenge after the player has beaten the game using Duke. It's a bit like complaining about CSOTN being too hard to beat using Richter.

Anyway, I'm glad that you still enjoy it and I do plan to make some adjustments and additions in the future. I also hope that WG will return and make some new maps for another episode.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 02 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

Playing further thru episode 1 with Jedrik, I admit that when you get some more weapons the game becames more enjoyable and fair. So, I think the only thing really to adjust is the arsenal you get in the first level, perhaps some more arrows would help.

P.S. : Mentioning CSOTN always makes me happy (I LOVE that game), but you know, I feel it to be too easy, especially when you realize that the final boss is easier than that freaky egyptian god that shots lightning.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Nov 2 2010, 11:42 AM, said:

P.S. : Mentioning CSOTN always makes me happy (I LOVE that game), but you know, I feel it to be too easy, especially when you realize that the final boss is easier than that freaky egyptian god that shots lightning.

Yes, but isn't the egyptian god thing an optional boss? Anyway, yeah that game is great but is too easy. The biggest problem is that once you get the Alucard Shield and the Shield Rod, you can beat any enemy with ease, including Dracula.

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 2 2010, 04:18 PM, said:

Yes, but isn't the egyptian god thing an optional boss? Anyway, yeah that game is great but is too easy. The biggest problem is that once you get the Alucard Shield and the Shield Rod, you can beat any enemy with ease, including Dracula.

Galamoth [the 'egyptian god thing'] is in fact an optional boss. All he guards is the Poison Mist ability. :(

Also, a pair of Crissagrims are far quicker for me in taking out anything, including Drac. @_@ And they're not that hard to pick up if you know the right place in the Inverted Library to look. :(

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Speaking of that, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was pretty much perfect in my opinion. Great difficulty, replayability, gameplay, etc, on the base of SOTN. Give it a try if you haven't by now.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Nov 2 2010, 05:04 PM, said:

Speaking of that, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was pretty much perfect in my opinion. Great difficulty, replayability, gameplay, etc, on the base of SOTN. Give it a try if you haven't by now.

Yeah, I've played that, it's a good one.

I suggest you to try Castlevania - Aria Of Sorrow too. It's in the same style of Symphony of the Night and has a great powerup system (you stole the power from the monster you defeat), too bad it's a little short.

User is offline   Hank 

I finished both levels. Now a screen shot, 800x600, easy settings, before I go again, it's magic. :P
Posted Image

User is offline   HellFire 

Hi, can someone explain to me what im supposed to do to kill the boss from the second map (into the earth), that blueish undead knight? thanks

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHellFire, on Mar 6 2011, 10:40 AM, said:

Hi, can someone explain to me what im supposed to do to kill the boss from the second map (into the earth), that blueish undead knight? thanks

After he attacks, he is vulnerable for a few seconds. You should see him flashing, but even if he isn't flashing, you know he is vulnerable if he is sticking his sword out in his attack animation. DB shotgun at close range is very good when he's vulnerable, but you can use anything like rockets etc. If you find that difficult, you can harm him with pipebombs at any time. Also, Watcher sentries work like crazy on him. Put a few on pillars that he will walk by and they will take care of him. And don't forget your minotaur if you have one.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options