Duke4.net Forums: High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Resolution Pack discussion and contributions

User is offline   Necrobitz 

View Postwarezeater, on 22 November 2021 - 08:01 PM, said:

Oh, you mean, those nice tiles weren't there originally? I really like them!

Yes, that wall tile texture was my addition, I didn't like so much the original, it seemed too bland to make it in HD and I decided to go for another tile design.

The discovery of the tapestry is amazing, I looked for it hundreds of times with no luck, and you have finally found it. Obviously it needs more work, some demon faces are missing that would be drawn by Kevin, it will have to be solved somehow!

Magnificent warezeater work! if you continue like this we can finish the HD pack!

I'm working on the pack, I'll upload an update shortly including your textures and of course giving you credit for your work!

Thanks!

User is offline   Phredreeke 

A small request, if you post multiple screenshots in a post, please put them in a spoiler tag, makes it hard to navigate on a phone otherwise.

User is offline   warezeater 

View PostNecrobitz, on 22 November 2021 - 09:39 PM, said:

Magnificent warezeater work! if you continue like this we can finish the HD pack!

I'm working on the pack, I'll upload an update shortly including your textures and of course giving you credit for your work!

Glad to hear that, Necrobitz! Please let me know what's missing as you go through the textures, and I'll do what I can to help you. We can chat on Steam, or Discord (not sure how, actually), or send me a message on my e-mail address.

May I suggest that you include higher resolution versions of some textures? For example, the above mentioned 2294_WallMosaicSlim -- it feels too low res as it is, the yellow-black pattern is too pixelated, that's what made me trying to find higher definition image of that pattern. The textures should be 128x1024, in my opinion. Another examples are 1098_AirDuct, which is 256x256, and 1099_AirDuctBRK, which is 512x512 -- it'd be nice to have both in 512x512 pixels resolution.

This post has been edited by warezeater: 22 November 2021 - 11:48 PM

BTW what textures are missing from your pack? I could provide some raw upscales which may be useful as a base layer to build upon.

Edit: I went through the copy of XHD I had on my harddrive, and copied the tiles missing. These are all upscaled with Pixelperfect, downscaled to 25%.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 23 November 2021 - 02:56 AM

Phredreeke, this is very helpful and kind of you! Thanks!

Okay, here are my custom textures and some by Necrobitz modified to closer match vanilla look and feel. Some textures felt too clean, or glossy or luscious for the setting, so I tried to somewhat age and weather those. Hope these are of any use. I included comments to justify my edits.

Spoiler

I am really not an artist, so my work is amateurish, but I did my best with these.

I just realised I had missed the second part of my description. The tiles were upscaled with Pixelperfect, downscaled and then upscaled again with Nickelback

If you feel really adventurous I can attempt the same with the weapon HUD sprites

A couple of suggested reference images for the desk lamp (tiles 944 and 945):

https://i.pinimg.com...-lamp-table.jpg

https://upload.wikim...an_Erp_lamp.jpg

View Postwarezeater, on 23 November 2021 - 06:11 AM, said:

Okay, here are my custom textures and some by Necrobitz modified to closer match vanilla look and feel. Some textures felt too clean, or glossy or luscious for the setting, so I tried to somewhat age and weather those. Hope these are of any use. I included comments to justify my edits.

brilliant! I basically agree with your appreciations and changes, many of the textures at the time of making them I was tired, it was a colossal work, and the mind is not always 100% concentrated, some I simply included them in a fairly initial state with the idea to make changes later and improve them.

I keep commenting on the spoiler!

Spoiler

I am really not an artist, so my work is amateurish, but I did my best with these.

I'm not an artist either, I think we do this because we like it, it amuses us and it entertains us, and then it's great to see the result in the game, I love what you've done, I had lost a lot of desire to continue, but thanks to Your work I have got back to work, and it is more fun when there is someone else in the team, at least there are three of us working on this matter, and that seems great to me!

Whoever likes it and wants to use it great, whoever doesn't like it, turn the page and ignore us, that's all, it's that simple!

but in the meantime we had a good time!

I'm very glad to have you here, thank you!

View PostPhredreeke, on 23 November 2021 - 01:51 AM, said:

BTW what textures are missing from your pack? I could provide some raw upscales which may be useful as a base layer to build upon.

Edit: I went through the copy of XHD I had on my harddrive, and copied the tiles missing. These are all upscaled with Pixelperfect, downscaled to 25%.

thanks for the compilation Phredreeke !!
Seen like this, it seems that there are not so many but they are certainly one of the most difficult.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Tiles 0220 to 0224 I still don't know what to do, they look like reptile skin, or they may be strange
stones with drooling substance ... but I don't know how to attack this series.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
this, I am sure it is something that exists, it is not a drawing, but I am not able to find it.
Posted Image
and this the same, I think it is the side of a stone tomb.
Posted Image
0344 I have it made, it turned out pretty good. but it still lacks work, it is not final at all.
Posted Image
Posted Image
0098, 0099 and They use as a base the 0097 that has already been made, but I don't know how to make the bat
and the spider, it would have to be drawn on the same original tile, and I think that is beyond my abilities ...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
0643 (Last one) is similar but not the same.
Tiles 0854 to 0859 are easy but I still haven't gotten to it.

Posted Image
Tiles 1084-1049 the problem here is the jaw, I tried but they didn't look good at all. In minuscule size it is not noticeable,
but when doing it in HD the effect was fatal, I do not know how to focus this animation.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Tiles 2546 and 2547 (Turntable) have no major problem, I just have to start making them.

well enough for today.

More tomorrow!

I am pleased that you like my work and glad to see you inspired and working on the pack again, Necrobitz!

View PostNecrobitz, on 23 November 2021 - 04:44 PM, said:

stones with drooling substance ... but I don't know how to attack this series.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I tend to interpret these as bricks or stones melted due great heat generated by the Big Bad Dog. So, drawing some charred bricks and distorting them would likely do the trick. Look for your own BSBricks* series of textures.

Also note that this one has 0228_StoneFlames01 as its central part.
Posted Image

As for 2294_WallMosaicSlim, here are the source and the edited images of the wall tiles:
Spoiler

And it seems to me that 0344 is basically two end point of 0343 moved close together. They at least have the same ornament at the base part. This is better seen on the processed upscales:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The whole 0343 looks like a carved banner with some motto on it. I fail to find the exact reference, but here are some images to get inspired:
https://www.aparici....05-1024x252.jpg

https://static.flick...93d113668_o.jpg

https://images.icon-...9000/109379.jpg

http://tehne.com/ass...1973-0294-2.jpg

http://townevolution.../pic/000040.jpg

https://live.staticf...1e926d1ec_b.jpg

https://shotguncolle...0aa79543d23.jpg

This post has been edited by warezeater: 23 November 2021 - 09:28 PM

Necrobitz, some more notes on sprites.

I think mannequins (tile 2377) and 0715_KnightArmor need to be of higher resolution. Otherwise they are great!

0058_MetalBarsA and 0059_MetalBarsB_End are so high res compared to 0104_MetalBars. Need to check with the original tiles to see how these relate dimensions-wise.

0795_RoundLight2 looks too modern due to fluorescent lamp in it, I personally use 0676_RoundLightOn instead. Now, when I mention that, I realize that there actually are fluorescent lamps in this game! Quote: "It took 30 years and a number of inventors along the way to develop the standard fluorescent light for commercial use in the 1930s."

What if you review the whole pack for including higher-res versions of all available textures?

This post has been edited by warezeater: 24 November 2021 - 05:23 AM

View Postwarezeater, on 24 November 2021 - 05:13 AM, said:

I think mannequins (tile 2377) and 0715_KnightArmor need to be of higher resolution. Otherwise they are great!

Upscaled these for you. Probably want to soften the highlights a bit else they may look a bit too sharp, and also needs an opacity mask

Spoiler

I did another sprite set, this time not using pixelperfect for pre-processing instead using a method using downscaled XBRZ sprites followed by SSAA9x and Nickelback. They're a bit sharper but also noisier. As with previous pack none have opacity masks done.

Attached File(s)

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 November 2021 - 02:21 PM, said:

I did another sprite set, this time not using pixelperfect for pre-processing instead using a method using downscaled XBRZ sprites followed by SSAA9x and Nickelback. They're a bit sharper but also noisier. As with previous pack none have opacity masks done.

Thanks a lot Phredreeke!!! very good material here!

A few more edits I forgot to post.

Spoiler

I've found an image looking very close to tile 738.

Spoiler

Human skull to replace tile 807:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by warezeater: 27 November 2021 - 12:50 AM

Uploaded a new set, this time with masks, including some corpses and gibs. Hope you find some use for them

Attached File(s)

View PostPhredreeke, on 27 November 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Uploaded a new set, this time with masks, including some corpses and gibs. Hope you find some use for them

Thank you, Phredreeke! I've noticed that there are some tiles and sprites from Cryptic Passage (and specific to it) which are neither upscaled nor represented in the XHD pack. Do you plan to work on those?

Cryptic Passage is a bit of a problem due to each port handling it in it's own way

- BloodGDX can load a specific def file conditionally on a particular INI file being loaded
- Raze has its filter folder, which lets you make a def file load based on which game/addon is loaded
- NBlood has no such option. Right now, I'm waiting for Seizhak to update his polished cryptic passage mod to use a non-overlapping tile range. This would allow the current upscale pack 2.1 to play it without modifications.

Anyway, if you're interested in tackling Cryptic Passage I can make similar upscales to the last couple posts I did

View PostPhredreeke, on 27 November 2021 - 12:05 PM, said:

Cryptic Passage is a bit of a problem due to each port handling it in it's own way

- BloodGDX can load a specific def file conditionally on a particular INI file being loaded
- Raze has its filter folder, which lets you make a def file load based on which game/addon is loaded
- NBlood has no such option. Right now, I'm waiting for Seizhak to update his polished cryptic passage mod to use a non-overlapping tile range. This would allow the current upscale pack 2.1 to play it without modifications.

Anyway, if you're interested in tackling Cryptic Passage I can make similar upscales to the last couple posts I did

No rush with this, I guess. Let's wait for the NBlood update. However, Cryptic Passage deserves additional attention graphics-wise, IMO.

I did a whole bunch of CP upscales and posted on the discord

Spoiler

Edit: Slide-over comparison for Phantasm poster

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 28 November 2021 - 05:53 PM

This is very nice, Phredreeke!

Necrobitz, these are some resources to help you with tile 343:

Spoiler

Alternative 1714_Saw sprite that I made:
Posted Image

My purpose was to closer match the overall game art style and that of the neighboring tools.

This post has been edited by warezeater: 29 November 2021 - 02:59 AM

Phredreeke, some of the CP upscales are very good!
I have done some, I don't remember right now if they are in the current ZXHD Pack in modDB.

Spoiler

Warezeater, thanks for the resources to tile 0343 very useful!!
The saw goes to replace mine, yours is better! :angry: :P

This post has been edited by Necrobitz: 29 November 2021 - 06:19 AM

Great work, Necrobitz! Thank you! Can you please provide tile numbers for the posted images? I am keen to try them all ingame!

OK, don't worry, I've managed to assign tile names. Here is the list of tiles in order of appearance:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by warezeater: 29 November 2021 - 07:25 AM

View Postwarezeater, on 29 November 2021 - 06:42 AM, said:

Great work, Necrobitz! Thank you! Can you please provide tile numbers for the posted images? I am keen to try them all ingame!

I send you a priv message!

I just found the source to tile 0642 but not exactly the same, it doesn't have four handles.
Spoiler

the name is "the townley vase"

View PostNecrobitz, on 29 November 2021 - 07:20 AM, said:

I just found the source to tile 0642 but not exactly the same, it doesn't have four handles.
Spoiler

the name is "the townley vase"

Wonderful!

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options