Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think people rag on the parody-ness of Duke a little too much. It does go a bit overboard and it is a factor, but it wasn't all bad and it IS a part of the character. It's the balance between parody and serious action hero that they're getting wrong. And that's warped your opinions of The Birth. I mean, you can't say that The Birth is terrible because of its excessive parody and then turn around and call the Caribbean expansion good. It's way more of a parody than The Birth. (and it IS good)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I think the fun part was that the parody was usually played straight or taken to an absurdity that was well juxtaposed with the rest of the game, and in many cases went unmentioned by Duke.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I hear so much negativity towards Babeland specifically by many groups; I actually really like the level and it was a great standout unique location. Is it because it was too sexual/parody-like that people don't like it?
I like both Build engine carnival levels; Dark Carnival from Blood and Babeland from Ep. 4

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 17 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Babe Land was bad, because its theme wasn't executed well. For example that D-Cup race room makes no sense, just some weird rotating sectors over the water with mechanical ambience, and all felt like some hi-tech base with wrong textures and surroundings. Then comes that pirate stuff with ugly fake sky, mechanical babes and characters, slimer as water, everything about that map felt wrong aesthetically, despite having a decent layout and a promising theme. It's probably not Blum's worst level (not Launch Facility/Tiberius Station like bad), but certainly the worst of those he wanted to be good.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNancsi, on 17 April 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

Derelict is the only exception, that was like a lost level from the original 3 episodes.

It literally is. Have you played LameDuke?

I thought people liked Tiberius Station? I dislike all the Lunar Apocalypse levels, but the ones I heard from liked them.

User is offline   Lunick 

I wonder what a prototype Babe Land would look like

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostLunick, on 17 April 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

I wonder what a prototype Babe Land would look like

Tits on a wall.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHendricks266, on 17 April 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

It literally is. Have you played LameDuke?

Yep, of course. Basically the entire thing was there just with less details and no atmosphere. AFAIK it was the second oldest level of the game (after Stadium, that is).

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am struggling with myself... The Full Clip Edition is currently 50% off. Is it worth it for that price (18.49 EUR) or should I hope for an even better offer on Xmas (even though I doubt there'll be a -60% or even -75% on this any time soon)?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Depends if you've played the original or not I suppose.

View PostNightFright, on 27 November 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

I am struggling with myself... The Full Clip Edition is currently 50% off. Is it worth it for that price (18.49 EUR) or should I hope for an even better offer on Xmas (even though I doubt there'll be a -60% or even -75% on this any time soon)?

If you're a fan of the original Bulletstorm then I think those are good deals.

if you're buying it strictly as a Duke fan and you absolutely must play it, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Against the advice from members on this forum, I got it for $15 bucks including the Duke add on. Duke just isn't Duke. Too much of Grey holding him back and it feels like a chore to get through. It was cool seeing cut scenes using his model but that gets old. I'd just watch it on Youtube.

• The Truth is in here

I never played the original game, and tbh I don't care about the Duke DLC at all. Just heard it used to be a solid shooter back then and might be worth grabbing during a Steam sale, anything that's at least -50% or more.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Duty Calls is better. And it's free.

• The Truth is in here

Well, I decided not to buy it in the end. The original version is like 2-5 EUR, so paying more than 10 is probably overpriced. XD

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The game is currently on a 66% sale if you buy it with Duke included (15 bucks) so I took the bullet... and I'm happy I did (did not play the game before in any shape or form so admittedly it was an easy decision for me). I did not expected much from Duke but the writing is good for what it is: they did not only opt for the "hey, let's write irrelevant dick jokes and call it a day" solution but a lot of times the jokes cleverly refer to the dialogue and there is a fun little meta aspect to it all. I laugh my ass off sometimes but of course instead of finishing it this way I'll go back and play through the game with original dialogue first. :D

+ The game is really good, the port is nice too.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'll just post this here as a way to salute the world's unintentionally funniest launch trailer:

• The Truth is in here

Ok guys, Bulletstorm is now 75% off during the latest Summer Sale. For 9.24 EUR (10.75 USD), I think it's actually really worth buying, probably for the first time since its release. I think I'll go for it now, especially since I never played the original version. Glad I waited for another half year!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 June 2018 - 11:10 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Haha, was playing through Full Clip and found a HoloDuke:
Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

I do want to pick this up sometime. I think it would just be some crazy off the wall fun to play through the whole thing as Duke. I never had a problem with that.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 November 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

I do want to pick this up sometime. I think it would just be some crazy off the wall fun to play through the whole thing as Duke. I never had a problem with that.

Well, I got my money's worth since this is my 4th playthrough in less than a year but only one of those was with Duke. The thing is that Duke is fun, they did a good job with that content and for Duke fans there's a lot of laughs but fuck, Steve Blum is so great as Gray that replacing him with Duke not only doesn't add much to the experience but instead takes away from it. The voice acting in this game along with the writing is a treasure, there is just no other game where the big bad says stuff like "I got a bottle of scotch and I'm violently fiddlin' with my balls in anticipation of your arrival." :rolleyes: It's like if you could play Blood with Duke: sure, it's worth a laugh but why would you replace Caleb?

On the plus side Duke absolutely fits the tone of the game, hell, if this was the tone DNF was going for that would have made for a better game. Half-crazy badass motherfuckers want to escape a planet full of mutants and in order to do so they shoot anything that moves, what else do you need? :D

SPOILERS:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 November 2018 - 03:43 AM

I ended up exchanging Full Clip. Found it too linear and didn't gel with the humor, including Duke's. I liked that Duke had a positive role and was helping people. Would like to see that in a future Duke game but his character was way off. I actually prefer DNF's Duke to Bulletstorm's. I was surprised I didn't enjoy it. Thought it would end up in my Duke collection.

This game will be PSN+ freebie for Nov 2018, though I'm not sure of Duke is included or not.

Yeah, Duke's character was off. I felt he cared too much about the side characters, unlike the insensitive asshole that said, "I guess he won't be in the sequel" to an old friend of his. Or this could be another side of Duke we never saw before. If Gearbox decides to "fit" Duke Nukem in today's society, this Duke fits the bill.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Guess I liked this interpretation of him (which is really not even his own because they just added his voice to a story that belongs to Gray) because to me the DNF version of him is terrible garbage. The man saved the world a few times already so he should care about other people, especially if they are his fuckbuddies or his comrades in action. In DNF Duke doesn't even interact with other characters in a fashion that could be considered communication, he is just talking in one-liners like a retard and I don't want to think of him as a retard. He's supposed to be a likeable asshole instead of a retarded sociopath.

In Bulletstorm there is a sense of camaraderie and that alone elevates the kinda childish, insult-based jokes so much. You get the sense that this is a team in deep shit and the characters constantly interact with each other and that last part is what I'd like to see in a modern Duke game. A Duke game should play like Duke 3D but it should feel like an 80s action movie and when it comes to the latter Bulletstorm is 10 out of 10. :rolleyes:

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Fired up this game after a long while, this time with a photo mode mod B)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

I really really despise that Duke model. It infuriates me that Gearbox have successfully turned that into the official Duke.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 March 2022 - 07:22 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 March 2022 - 07:22 AM, said:

I really really despise that Duke model. It infuriates me that Gearbox have successfully turned that into the official Duke.

Yeah, I'm half tempted to go into that game and see if I can swap in Douche with Duke (2009), just to see how much better it would look.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

He looks like he has a spinal disease.

User is offline   NNC 

He looks like a retard. The 4th picture from below is the worst offender.

• The Sarien Encounter

IMO the actual body model is passable. It's just the face, the black-trimmed "military-issue" variation of the red wife beater, the spiky gelled hair, and the non-Rayban sunglasses. All of it screams Douche. It's the perfect storm of douche.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options