• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 07 April 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

Source?

Several reviewers have said their press copies came with a note telling them that they're aware of the issue and are going to patch it post release.

Rock Paper Shotgun reviewed Full Clip Edition...well they start the review with a link to their old review and then proceed to spend a page talking about the Duke DLC.

https://www.rockpape...edition-review/

Here's some quality quotes.

What a weird decision. It’s like re-releasing Bladerunner but replacing Harrison Ford with Mel Gibson. True Lies, but with Arnie’s role portrayed by Dane Cook. The Wicker Man, but Edward Woodward usurped by Nicolas Cage – oh wait. It’s so madly out of touch with reality, a decision made by a boardroom so isolated from actual air-breathing humans that they think Duke Nukem is anything other than a weary punchline. And, naturally, the results are a disaster.

It feels clumsy, so much so that when it then tries to be self-referential about this, it feels more like it’s laughing at you for having paid than itself for having failed.

Worst of all, so haphazardly has the replacement been done that Duke uses all the same animations as Gray – it is, really, no more than a reskinning – and this becomes problematic when it comes to the lip-sync. Which is – obviously – ludicrous as a result. Duke’s mouth moves while he’s silent, stays still while he’s talking, and if the two happen to line up, clearly don’t match. It’s pretty surprisingly shoddy stuff. And Jon St. John’s delivery is as bad as I’ve ever heard.

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 07 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 07 April 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

Several reviewers have said their press copies came with a note telling them that they're aware of the issue and are going to patch it post release.

Rock Paper Shotgun reviewed Full Clip Edition...well they start the review with a link to their old review and then proceed to spend a page talking about the Duke DLC.

https://www.rockpape...edition-review/

Here's some quality quotes.

Videogame reviewers suck. Unobjective at best. I don't read reviews anymore, I just play demos.

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 07 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

That review is entirely accurate. The game on PC is almost entirely untouched with the Duke DLC being the only new thing and in it Jon sounds terrible, the lipsync issues at launch shows they just did a model swap and the whole DLC is a bad idea. No one ever acknowledges Duke. It's a joke that gets old real fast...especially with Jon droning on like he's missing the new episode of Better Call Saul or something and wants to get out of there.

And it's terribly overpriced. Congratulations Gearbox! You launched another failure! A blind sheep could run a company better than Pitchford..

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

There are people actually read these shitty so-called "articles"?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Did they at least remove the two weapon limit?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

It was actually a 4 weapon limit, and yes they did; you can still assign certain weapons to the D-Pad, but you can use them all whenever, I think with the exception the minigun turrets that run on battery life (which makes sense)
Also when you beat the game, you can use all the weapons and unlocks from the beginning

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 07 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostSledgehammer, on 07 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

There are people actually read these shitty so-called "articles"?

Every single review and impression has said it's overpriced the the DLC is terrible. The game looks visually untouched. Only worthwhile additions are probably the Overkill mode unlocked after you complete the campaign and new Echo maps.

It is a poorly done release. Overpriced with terrible Duke DLC and very little additions to the game while the graphics are seemingly untouched on PC. When this fails surely Randy will try to push the blame on to someone else similarly to Aliens..

They're working on fixing the lipsync at least..

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 07 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

Speaking of "overpriced", noticed that even Russians are pissed.

It's unusual business practice for a minimal effort remaster to be released at full price. If it had been a total overhaul along the lines of Halo Anniversary with the game being remade in Unreal Engine 4 with a short new expansion perhaps it'd be worth full price...current gen console ports with new content that a modder could throw together in a week does not warrant full price...this is coming from someone who is a fan of both Bulletstorm and Duke.

This bothers me because their poor characterization of Duke will only further peoples hate on the franchise and increase the likely hood of no new games coming out anytime soon and their zero effort work on Bulletstorm with a price like that means that when it fails due to their own incompetence they'll point at it and say no one wants a Bulletstorm 2..I have no idea why People Can Fly teamed up with Gearbox of all people. Terrible move.

View PostHiPolyBash, on 07 April 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

I have no idea why People Can Fly teamed up with Gearbox of all people. Terrible move.

My guess: no one else was interested in "Epic Games Poland" after they developed two badly selling games for Epic, lost a lot of devs (Flying Wild Hog and Farm51 consists of ex-PCF devs) including their "main man" Chmielarz (who went indie) and sold the rights to their only profitable game (Painkiller). It's a miracle any company was interested in working with them. GBX also possibly needs another TimeGate Studios to blame when inevitably another project goes DOA.

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 07 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

I have no idea why People Can Fly teamed up with Gearbox of all people. Terrible move.

Maybe they want to make a Duke Nukem game, and this was the only way.

User is offline   Jblade 

it's sad that I knew exactly who wrote that RPS article just by those little quotes. Walker is a terribly writer and has a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to Duke.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 07 April 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Every single review and impression has said it's overpriced the the DLC is terrible.

Nope.

It's catching a god deal of flak in the comment section though, which seems warranted.

Well, in the past they teamed up with EA of all people too.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostCryptKiller, on 07 April 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

GBX also possibly needs another TimeGate Studios to blame when inevitably another project goes DOA.

It's already started
Randy is blaming People Can Fly for the G2A partnership and that he didn't even know about the partnership until recently. Weird how the publisher wasn't involved with a partnership /sarcasm

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 April 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

Well, in the past they teamed up with EA of all people too.

They were operating under Epic Games back then who would have arranged that though considering they got to keep their IP and have a AAA game published I'd say they did well as far as working with EA goes..the only reason I can think of for partnering with Gearbox is a lot of money being in the mix. It makes no sense otherwise. Anyone with knowledge of the game industry would be aware of Gearbox and their reputation as well as Randy and his behavior.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Been playing it a little, there is a Duke3D related Easter egg:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by stumppy84: 08 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostHulkNukem, on 08 April 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

It's already started
Randy is blaming People Can Fly for the G2A partnership and that he didn't even know about the partnership until recently. Weird how the publisher wasn't involved with a partnership /sarcasm

Ahahaha. Any day now they'll be demoted to churning out Borderland DLCs and community scapegoats.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

The game is worth playing IMO, even if it's a demaster.

However, not at the asking price. When it goes down to 10 or 15 bucks get it. Until then I say pass. Note I've played through the original 2 or 3 times, so unless they broke the game completely that's where my recommendation comes from.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Just get the original for 2.49 bux.

Yeah, and don't worry, GfWL is easy to disable nowadays.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I thought it's auto-disabled since it no longer exist. At least it was removed from a bunch of my games.

User is offline   Lunick 

It was never removed from Bulletstorm but you can disable it with this fix http://pcgamingwiki...._Windows_-_LIVE

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought they removed the original Bulletstorm from Steam?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

User is offline   ---- 

As I can see, Randy is still the village idiot of the gaming industry.

IN a few years he will form a new studio with Dennis Dyack.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 09 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 April 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

I thought they removed the original Bulletstorm from Steam?

There are still retail copies in stores/on auction sites, also afaik you can still buy Steam keys which will work because the files are still on servers.

User is offline   Lunick 

Duke Nukem is worth $5
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

$5? That's all people saved by preordering? lol Still, at least it wasn't like $15 or something. also explains the amount of effort that went into implementing it. For some reason I was just expecting it to be more than that...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

The game is still great and feels good on console. I think there was a lot of potential for the Duke add-on but the writers failed miserably and Jon St. John sounds like he is phoning it in half the time. I imagined something akin to the movie King Pow but instead Duke is serious 75% of the time and I cannot believe they have him copying some of the actual lines from Bulletstorm word for word. The writers seem way too concerned making Duke fit in instead of making something weird and funny that makes fun of the characters and world.

Having not played it before, Bulletstorm is way more linear and cutscene heavy than I would have expected from a game that sold itself under the premise of being action packed and "killing with skill". After two hours I still feel like I'm in a tutorial, there's constant QTEs and I think about 4 turret sections, one of which was an entire on-rails level. Disappointing.

But anyways, on the topic of Duke. Within the first half hour Duke says the phrase "I'm not even supposed to be here" like six times, which would be funny, except there's so little variation in the delivery of the joke, and it happens in such rapid succession, that it falls flat almost immediately. The lipsyncing is of course absolutely horrible but the amount of time you spend looking at Duke talking in cutscenes really cemented to me how much I hate the DNF character model. Fuck those sunglasses.

There have been a couple of lines that made me laugh, mostly references to DNF and Duke 3D. However you also get shit like 'hashtag busy killing', which really speaks volumes about Gearbox's idea of the character. Then you consider Jon st. John's lackluster performance which we've discussed ad nauseam, and, everything weighed in proportion, there really is no reason to buy this game.

Maybe I'll finish it, but in the mean time I'm going to get back to my Fallout: New Vegas playthrough.

This post has been edited by KaijuTurtle: 10 April 2017 - 05:16 AM

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options