Duke4.net Forums: World Tour modding topic (sound packs, etc) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Tour modding topic (sound packs, etc)

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostHendricks266, on 19 October 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

I noticed this change looking through the diff of their GAME.CON and I originally brushed it off as simple incompetence, but now that you mention it I remember encountering the same issue trying to make miniboss Queens. I solved it with a gamevar back when I was a noob, but the simpler solution is to spritepal 6 and getlastpal immediately surrounding any calls to guts, debris, state standard_jibs, etc. instead of during the entire actor code.

I did what you had suggested, and it actually worked. We can now have working mini Alien Queens with green blood. Thank you :D . I've also added a frozen code for the mini Alien Queen and it works fine. I didn't add a shrink code for it though because I'd imagined that the green blood would make the Alien Queen would be immune to shrink rays like Protector Drones.

The only problem that I have is that unlike the other mini bosses (who don't play sight sounds at all), mini Alien Queen sight sound is still that of Duke saying "I'm gonna kick you're ass, Bitch!", like for the big Alien Queen. I even had the stopsound in the mini Alien Queen code to stop it, and it doesn't even work ;)

I noticed this change looking through the diff of their GAME.CON and I originally brushed it off as simple incompetence, but now that you mention it I remember encountering the same issue trying to make miniboss Queens. I solved it with a gamevar back when I was a noob, but the simpler solution is to spritepal 6 and getlastpal immediately surrounding any calls to guts, debris, state standard_jibs, etc. instead of during the entire actor code.

I'd personally find this tedious, as I'm pretty certain that had it been using EDuke32 the problem could be solved without modifying the actor's code and without even having to scroll through it at all;

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
ifactor JIBS5 { ifspawnedby BOSS4 { spritepal 6 } }
// Repeat for each type of jib...

I guess it might be more compact to check the spawn first and then check for actors in a single block, but that is probably less efficient as it would check every actor spawned by BOSS4 as opposed to only looking for a certain actor type... I think... Long time since I've played with it. Might be wrong.

Edit: Chrome keeps messing with the code box thingy.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 20 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostShadow Jolteon, on 20 October 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

The only problem that I have is that unlike the other mini bosses (who don't play sight sounds at all), mini Alien Queen sight sound is still that of Duke saying "I'm gonna kick you're ass, Bitch!", like for the big Alien Queen. I even had the stopsound in the mini Alien Queen code to stop it, and it doesn't even work ;)

It's a globalsound. If you're using EDuke32, use: stopactorsound player[].i <sound id>

Without this command, you have to stopsound from the player.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostShadow Jolteon, on 20 October 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

I did what you had suggested, and it actually worked. [...]

Can you point out where exactly and what? ;)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHigh Treason, on 20 October 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

onevent EVENT_SPAWN
ifactor JIBS5 { ifspawnedby BOSS4 { spritepal 6 } }
// Repeat for each type of jib...

If I were to add this fix to my package, I would take this route simply because I don't want to modify WT's cons. I don't believe I tried to fix bugs that Nerve introduced; I simply tried to port the WT experience to EDuke32.

appendevent EVENT_SPAWN
    switch sprite[].picnum
    case JIBS1
    case JIBS2
    case JIBS3
    case JIBS4
    case JIBS5
    case JIBS6
    // do we need to handle debris too? anything else?
        ifspawnedby BOSS4
            spritepal 6
        break
    endswitch
endevent

I may consider adding this to the next update. I think Fox did some work on the minibosses too.

There could be an argument to shipping a separate layer that fixes WT-specific bugs (and "{ nullop }" ;)) in a way compatible with the WT port. Although, it could lead to a slippery slope of fixing Atomic Edition bugs too, which I believe is out of scope.

View PostNightFright, on 20 October 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Can you point out where exactly and what? :D

the simpler solution is to spritepal 6 and getlastpal immediately surrounding any calls to guts, debris, state standard_jibs, etc. instead of during the entire actor code.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

do we need to handle debris too?

Yes.

View PostHendricks266, on 20 October 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

I may consider adding this to the next update. I think Fox did some work on the minibosses too.

I was trying to fix what they broke in the original game. Otherwise I should also break what was fixed in Eduke32 source (such as minibosses not committing suicide).

This post has been edited by Fox: 20 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

• The Truth is in here

By all means, if it's possible to fix the Alien Queen blood color with the stopgap package, then I'd vote for doing so.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

Here is my boss fix pack for World Tour that I had been working on. Instructions are in Readme file, but I'll also put the instructions here.

To play with these fixes, simpily put GAMEfix.con, and EPISODE5BOSSfix.con into you're 20th
Anniversary World Tour folder and rename them to GAME.con, and EPISODE5BOSS.con Respectfully (Don't
forget to make back ups of the originals).

Here is what this fix features
-The bosses will have the same health as a mini boss instead of the big boss's health when set any spritepal other than 0, 21, or 22.
-The big bosses(Spritepal 22) can no longer be frozen by the freezer, or get shrunk by the shrinker.
-Likewise, the big bosses(Spritepal 22) can no longer respawn when playing on Damn I'm good difficulty (Also they cannot be gibbed either).
-The mini bosses will have the correct spritepal that they were set to after being frozen (Known Duke 3D bug).
-Mini Overlord and Mini Cycloid Emperor will no longer spawn missiles behind them thus hurting themselves.
-Added a thaw code for the Mini Overlord (Which was previously missing in Duke 3D).
-Added a functional Mini Alien Queen with Green blood (Thanks you Hendricks 266 ;) ).
-The Mini Alien Queen can be frozen, and thawed (They are however immune to the shrinker).
-While the big Alien Queen (spritepal 0, and 22). will spawn Proctetor Drones, Mini Alien Queen will spawn Green Slimers.
-The New Cycloid will fire fireballs instead of using a flamethrower when far away, or when hurt (It's still useless since it doesn't reach very far, but the lava pools could be a threat however).
-All of the mini bosses will play their sights sounds when they see you.

Known issues for this pack
-Unlike other mini bosses, The Mini Alien Queen sight sound is still that of Duke saying "I'm gonna kick you're ass, Bitch!" and it cannot be disabled (Even with stopsound).

If you find any other issues with this pack let me know so I can try to fix them.

Attached File  bossfix.zip (28.65K)
Number of downloads: 276

I updated my sound replacement pack to fix some new issues I found, such as the LANI sounds not having the correct delay at the end.
Here's the new link:

https://www.mediafir...bcu8hc5ior4q9kt

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 21 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Wolf 

Bleh.

I really like WT's menu system, it's allowed me to do a lot, but I've hit an impasse.

I just found out their HUD...

Posted Image

...is ugly by necessity.

There's no way to handle the hud by specific aspect ratios, so they account for all of them in one setup, the uglyhud.

I was going to make a new hud graphic for the SST TC and had a prototype I was ready to allign but going from windowed to fullscreen I noticed it simply just cut off the edges when it was at a smaller resolution.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So this prevents me from having a nice, full-looking hud with the info resting at the left without breaking support for 16:9 or 4:3 resolutions.

I guess the only other option, providing they never add aspect ratio detection to their "screen" language, would be to have seperate packages ready for the three most common ones.

• The Truth is in here

The thing with the widescreen HUD is that its continuation isn't done in a way that looks logical. The arch shapes were not continued, but transformed into straight horizontal lines. And there are visible seams where the new graphics start. That could have been done better.

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

For my part, I noticed that the flamethrower is not working and the Firefly Trooper is bugged.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options