Duke4.net Forums: Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Latest Gearbox lawsuit against 3DR (Feb 2014)  "Welp"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostJblade, on 08 May 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

In other words it's an incredibly long-winded way of saying of "a lot of fucking money"

Or never ever purchase a game from Gearbox. :D

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostFox, on 08 May 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

Or never ever purchase a game from Gearbox. :D

Never buy their shit since their fail on DNF and A:CM. Even the Borderlands series fit my taste.

No, I don't want spend my money on them. Not even get one from illegal ways. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 May 2015 - 07:06 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

So in few words... GBX is doing more harm than good to Duke now?

I think the lawsuits that happen to Duke is harming the Duke and to The people that do the lawsuits :D

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 13 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostxMobilemux, on 07 May 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

Does this mean 3D Realms can buy Duke back? I don't know I ain't a fucking lawyer.
[picture]
I don't know what to think about this, at first I was furious at the idea of New 3D Realms owning Duke cause I don't want to see Duke go dark, gritty, realistic and brown & grey, but then I saw these leaked shots and saw that their game didn't look as shit as Fred made it sound, I don't know what to think about New 3D Realms possibly buying back Duke.

From the way it's worded, it sounds like part of the original purchase contract rather than something that has beein negotiated recently.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That gun Duke's holding in one of the later screenshots (with what looks like Dr Proton on the screen), looks an awful lot like his gun from DN1.

That looks like this http://i.imgur.com/Aw0oB86.gif

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 11 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Duke is screwed. GBX will sue 3DR if they try to exercise their rights to make a legal Duke game. If you try to make a Duke mod, GBX will send you a C&D order. GBX and 2K both think that buying the Duke IP was a 'mistake' so you won't see them issuing a new title anytime soon, or ever. Duke is in the same boat as Blood - in a word, fucked.

User is offline   Fox 

The only solution is to boycott Gearbox. Never buy a product associated with them again, so they will be forced to sell all IPs put on hold for a low price.

Spread the word.

This post has been edited by Fox: 12 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

>Gearbox owns Borderlands

Good luck.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Borderlands 2 has sold over 8.5 million copies.
They should only stick to Borderlands, but I do have to give them props for Homeworld Remastered.

This was in response to the royalties law suit that was dropped but I'm sure it applies to this one too:

Posted Image

Here's a question for ya would ya help 3DRealms Get the IP back by giving them money? like a KickStarter thing

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

The amount of money that would be required to buy back the Duke IP would probably be astronomical.

View PostComrade Major, on 13 May 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

The amount of money that would be required to buy back the Duke IP would probably be astronomical.

It depends on how much Gearbox is willing to sale it for also if gearbox is not going to do anything with the IP what is the point of keeping it, Every-since Duke Nukem Forever came out they haven't said anything of Duke Future, If they are not going to make a game then what is the point of keeping Duke if 3DRealms offers them 5 Million ( if 3DRealms has that amount of Money) they should take it and give Duke back to 3DRealms and be done with it

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 13 May 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

It depends on how much Gearbox is willing to sale it for also if gearbox is not going to do anything with the IP what is the point of keeping it, Every-since Duke Nukem Forever came out they haven't said anything of Duke Future, If they are not going to make a game then what is the point of keeping Duke if 3DRealms offers them 5 Million ( if 3DRealms has that amount of Money) they should take it and give Duke back to 3DRealms and be done with it

View PostTea Monster, on 07 May 2015 - 11:29 PM, said:

Read the damn thing, it's in English, not Latin.

They are willing to sell, but they are charging 3DR for the revenue they would loose from three Duke games, plus Dev costs on DNF.

That's far, far more than some plucky Kickstarter could ever hope to raise.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 13 May 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

If they are not going to make a game then what is the point of keeping Duke if 3DRealms offers them 5 Million ( if 3DRealms has that amount of Money)

Killing competiting IPs.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 13 May 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Here's a question for ya would ya help 3DRealms Get the IP back by giving them money? like a KickStarter thing

Noobs looooooooooooooooooooooove to shout "Kickstarter! Kickstarter!". I guess it makes them feel like even someone insignificant can make a difference when it comes to corporate mentalities.

It got particularly bad when Jace Hall came to The Postmortem. Every other new member that signed up made a total of one post, suggesting Jace do a Kickstarter, despite the fact that he specifically said money was not the issue.

Do you have any idea how bad 3D Realms would look if they started a crowdfunding campaign with the goal of buying back the IP, saying "pls gib me monies"?

Not to mention what has already been said: the asking price is huge.

"Make a Kickstarter for it!" is the gaming finances equivalent of "PUT GAME ON NEWEST ENGINE NO MATTER WHAT!!!".

User is online   X-Vector 

In this case it's worse, because a hypothetically successful Kickstarter would only result in rights changing hands with no game in sight.
Why anyone would want to throw money towards such a prospect is a mystery to me, especially when it concerns a company that simply bought another's name (and reputation) and has only released one seriously underwhelming self-developed product.

View PostX-Vector, on 14 May 2015 - 01:37 AM, said:

In this case it's worse, because a hypothetically successful Kickstarter would only result in rights changing hands with no game in sight.
Why anyone would want to throw money towards such a prospect is a mystery to me, especially when it concerns a company that simply bought another's name (and reputation) and has only released one seriously underwhelming self-developed product.

I prefer the new 3DR starting their own franchiases and reviving old Apogee ones than making Duke games over and over.

• Polymancer

3DR will have to start getting their own, NEW stuff together and out the door to stay alive and relevant. They have to concentrate on that.

But, I also want a new Duke game. A good one.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I guess the case has been settled.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 15 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

That really good news hope that it is over and done with

User is offline   LkMax 

Didn't expect that, now I wonder what it actually means...

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Word up, Duke4 crew
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 17 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   DNV 

News
http://techraptor.ne...-bombshell-come

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDNV, on 19 May 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

Not really news: they're not reporting on anything more than the image Mr. Tibbs posted.

• Polymancer

"So Duke Nukem is finally settled, and has a home at Gearbox."

Is it? If we don't know the terms of the arbitrated settlement, then maybe yes, maybe no.

Well Shit. I hope 3D Realms won something in court because 5+ million for the whole trial? They have money but that is a high amount for a small company.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options