Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostLunick, on 12 November 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Well, I've had a bit of a laugh at some of the responses here. I don't really have a lot of opinions about games but:

-Sonic CD is overrated

-Quake 3 > Unreal Tournament

-iOS Gaming (before the ginormous wave of in-app purchases games) was one of the best things ever

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 12 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

-Quake 3 > Unreal Tournament

Actually if it weren't for the nice amount of player models and map selections/gamemodes/mods, I would probably despise Quake 3.

Compared to doom and the other games, the weapons have absolutely no bite whatsoever and all feel like total shit to use with the exception of the railgun (which is also kind of shit because it has no firing animation like Quake 2) and the BFG. Even the shotgun has a fairly generic sound and while being better than the other weapons, is still animated like shit.

Even the gauntlet which I was expecting to be fun because it was a chainsaw-type weapon, didn't even feel good because it functioned like a punch more than anything.

In fact, the only reason I probably enjoy Quake 3 is because of this mod, and it has some good music

Speaking of which I really wish the new version of that mod would fucking come out already, it's been in development for longer than black mesa with no real updates since 2007 except "we're still working"

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 12 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostViper The Rapper, on 12 November 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

>video<

Posted Image

Glad you agree with Sonic Adventure 2 at least.

View PostBloodshot, on 12 November 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Actually if it weren't for the nice amount of player models and map selections/gamemodes/mods, I would probably despise Quake 3.

>rest of post<

To be honest, I like Unreal Tournaments mods/maps/etc better but for every good one of those, there are heaps of trash too :/

This post has been edited by Lunick: 12 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

The only good 3D Sonic game is Generations.

User is offline   ---- 

- I like the UT2004 movement and weapon balance far more than the original UT movement and balance (note: 2004, not 2003).

- Black Mesa, while an awesome mod with huge improvements over the original Half Life, was not as polished as people say.

- Duke on a tropical island (which has a few towns/small cities) armed with a Machete (instead of a Katana) and some of his signature weapons should be the next game of Devolver/Flying Wild Hog.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postfuegerstef, on 13 November 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

- Duke on a tropical island (which has a few towns/small cities) armed with a Machete (instead of a Katana) and some of his signature weapons should be the next game of Devolver/Flying Wild Hog.

I'd be ok with a Duke Caribbean 2 ;)

User is offline   ---- 

View PostLunick, on 13 November 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

I'd be ok with a Duke Caribbean 2 ;)

Speaking of that.

- I think the later levels in Duke Caribbean are lacking quality.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

-Console users, Steam forum users, GOG forum users, Reddit users (and probably another couple I missed) are some of the worst people on the internet, even worse than 4chan

You forgot YouTube commenters.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

FIRST!

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostViper The Rapper, on 12 November 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

They did evolve. But we only got one evolved specimen. Play Guardian Heroes on the Saturn. It's the gold standard for beat 'em up games. I don't know how good the 360/PS3 re-release is, but I'd go so far as to say the original is one of the best 2D games ever. It combines RPG elements, co-op, minion control, spellcasting, branching storylines and multiple plots/endings. It also has a real fighting game engine, unlike Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Cooler still, there's three lanes of combat you can switch between to evade hits, attack different enemies, or move out of the way to cast spells. Oh, and the soundtrack is the tits.

Ah yes I have it, it's a good example of the evolution alright. But unfortunately the constant stoppage for story and the 3 lanes don't work for me although the combat engine is fantastic. I think the evolution stopped with Alien Vs Predator and Dungeons and Dragon Shadow over mystra, there were Street Fighter like inputs and branching paths, sadly it is let down by infinite continues (Saturn and 360) and loss of progress when you stop playing (all weapons unlocked disappear).
However there is hope, Dragons Crown corrects all these problems, and is awesome only the move input is not as complex as Dungeons and Dragons and as a result a bit less fun.

What I want is a Double Dragon Game with all that kind of quality. Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim are great but they lack that grimy badassness that games like Double Dragon and Streets of Rage have in spades.

Streets of Rage Remake is a stunning game too and free for people to download.

They were arriving at perfection then they all stopped because apparently 2D graphics are not good enough anymore and developers got lazy and released too many button mashers that made the genre seem stale.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 13 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I like Angry Birds.

I like DNF. It is one of 3 FPS games I have managed to complete from beginning to end.

User is offline   leilei 

Half-Life 2 sucks. Overrated rail shooter sold on a physics, water gimmick, and false 'backwards compatiblity with old hardware' which just only meant the lack of the rather hacky lighting. Some people thought I was "trolling" when I shared this opinion...

Worms is a cash cow.

View PostViper The Rapper, on 11 November 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Sega's arcade hardware was based off GE, Lockheed Martin, in house designs, or NEC PowerVR. The Naomi system, which was a Dreamcast with double the RAM/VRAM, could be stacked in up to 16 units providing parallel processing. In addition to that, the PowerVR CLX2 uses tile based rendering, VC texture compression, and lacks TnL.

Being tile rendered is also largely detrimental. It wasn't just the lack of T&L that killed PowerVR KYRO II on the desktop... that can't even do some effects the PS2 or even N64 can do. Think render-to-texture, on screen.......that's right, PowerVR can't bloom without a huge hit because recursive texture loading. It wasn't until the SGX that it could via fragment shader... There are also filtering precision artifacts where you'll see slight judder of texels as you move along.

Also, PowerVR were going to have a PCX3 or "PowerVR SG" card for launch in 1998 (to compete with TNT, i740, Xpert@Play and Savage3D), and that got pushed to Dec 1999 as Neon250 (DOA with Geforce256). What would have happened if SEGA went for 3dfx for the Dreamcast? Would we even see Voodoo Banshee, 3 or 4? Would 3dfx still live past Nov 2000? Would Midway be troubled arcade-side?

This post has been edited by leilei: 13 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Sega made the right choice. Black Belt was an inferior machine. The PPC 603e had a slower FPU, and was more expensive. Despite the CLX2's (few) drawbacks the image quality was the best in the industry when it was released. It was far more advanced than anything Nvidia, ATI, or 3Dfx had at the time.

View Postleilei, on 13 November 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Half-Life 2 sucks. Overrated rail shooter sold on a physics, water gimmick, and false 'backwards compatiblity with old hardware' which just only meant the lack of the rather hacky lighting. Some people thought I was "trolling" when I shared this opinion...

I love it personally. Amazing atmosphere, interesting story that forces you to draw conclusions from little observations around you, and of course the gunplay.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 13 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postfuegerstef, on 13 November 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

- I like the UT2004 movement and weapon balance far more than the original UT movement and balance (note: 2004, not 2003).

I can't say I totally agree with this as I prefer UT99's balance because the weapons are more fun to use, but the UT2004 versions are definitely much better for competitive play.

I totally agree on the movement though. I got back into 2k4 recently and after getting used to the wall dodging and the movement in general I can't imagine going back to UT99s movement. I do wish the player models weren't so tiny in 2k4 though.

More controversial opinions, both Dark Forces 1 and 2 are much better games than Jedi Outcast and Academy.

Outcast/Academy are good (Outcast is great even) but Jedi Knight 1 and DF1 has infinitely more satisfying shooting mechanics, much better sound design, Jedi Knight 1 made better use of the Star Wars score for atmosphere, and had much better and more natural animations for both shooting and npc animations, even if they were exaggerated (which made the weapons more fun) And level design ofc.

The amazing saber combat is pretty much the only thing better about Raven's titles, and It was good enough to skew people's opinions about the prior games.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 13 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBloodshot, on 13 November 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I can't say I totally agree with this as I prefer UT99's balance because the weapons are more fun to use, but the UT2004 versions are definitely much better for competitive play.

Yeah, the UT99 Sniper Rifle is ridiculous. High damage with a fast ROF. If you got Godlike aim it's pretty much GG.

This post has been edited by Loke: 13 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim are shit, westerners have never made a good beat 'em up.
(3D) Beat 'em ups evolved backwards, started with Double Dragon and in the end all we got was Final Fight button mashing clones.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 13 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

The only thing I didn't like about the Jedi Knight games is that they all used the Star Wars movies scores. In fact, far too many Stat Wars games did that. I loved Dark Forces for the fact that it actually had an original score written in a very John Williams sort of way. They did have a few pieces in there from the movie, but there definitely was more original material than not.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

@MusicallyInspired; Agreed, movie based games never work so Dark Forces decision to run it's own plot that happened alongside the movies was probably another reason it worked. Plus, Kyle Katarn is a badass, he punches kell dragons to death, he doesn't use the force, the force uses Kyle Katarn... Basically he's like Chuck Norris's dad or something IMO.

-----

These ones usually go down well;
3DFX Sucked, mechanical relays and an extra slot used? 128x128 textures? Don't make me laugh, sceners hated it too.
The S3 Virge is a good card, it was cheap and has very fast 2D performance, though I admit 3D was awful (insert decelerator line here).

This post has been edited by High Treason: 13 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

Dookie Nukem needs more Dookie !

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I was trying to avoid this, but since the thread has already three pages I guess I'll just jump in.

• Harmony of Dissonance is the best Castlevania game ever made.
  • Aria of Sorrow is the worst metroidvania game ever made.
  • Morrowind is a convoluted, stripped-down mess that sought to broke all revolutionary staples set by the prequels.
  • WarCraft III must honestly be the worst sequels to any game ever made, it completely broke all standards set by the previous games and went for a different style of gameplay, might as well as renamed the game to HeroClicker or something more appropriate since it has neither war or crafting.
  • System Shock 2 is probably the most overrated sequels to any game ever made. Dropped all standards set by the original game and just blatantly copied the storyline over and plastered it with "changes" everyone could see through.

On the positive side of things I have some other games to talk about, but I need a day or two to remember their names.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostDaedolon, on 14 November 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

[*]WarCraft III must honestly be the worst sequels to any game ever made, it completely broke all standards set by the previous games and went for a different style of gameplay, might as well as renamed the game to HeroClicker or something more appropriate since it has neither war or crafting.

That's not controversial but common sense among people with taste, brains and balls.

I hate WC3, WC2 was great but WC3 really annoyed me.

How's this for controversial? I enjoyed HL2's vehicle segments a lot. I loved running enemies down, and being chased by the helicopter in the airboat.

I hate most of HL2's default weapons though, with the exception of the crossbow, shotgun, and magnum everything just felt so weak. Also the gravity gun was only fun in Ravenholm with the sawblades and at the end of the game. I would have vastly preferred to have one of the experimental weapons from the original game like the Tau cannon or Gluon gun.

Quake 2 has some fun weapons but the level design, enemy design, and art style make the game repetitive as fuck and I can't enjoy it that much. It just feels like a weird version of doom with an orange filter over it and enemies ripped off from Star Trek.

I vastly prefer the lovecraftian designs of Quake 1 and the more normal lighting. Even if there were levels that had heavy use of similar colors, at least each episode had some friggin thematic variety instead of "base, base, base and more base". Unreal was also vastly superior and much more interesting as a game.

Daggerfall is much more fun than Morrowind.

Total Annihilation is much more fun to play than StarCraft. Winning multiplayer matches in SC/SC2 is more of a chore than anything and I don't consider memorizing different build orders and managing many units as quickly as possible fun.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 15 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

User is offline   Silentwulf 

This should be fun ;)

-> The N64 is a steaming pile of crap, populated with a truck-load of sub par titles, poor hardware design (more polys don't mean much with muddy textures), and a controller designed for some deformed humanoid sub-species.

-> Gears of War is the weakest Epic Games franchise

-> Duke Nukem Forever was good

-> Redneck Rampage is the most overrated Build engine game

-> Sega Genesis > Super Nintendo

-> The Android is a horrid "gaming" platform

-> Unreal Tournament makes Quake 3 look like shit (Not literally...Q3 is far prettier to look at)

-> Hexen is one of the most boring, tedious FPS titles from the 90's

I'll be sure to come up with more later on :3

View PostSilentwulf, on 15 November 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

This should be fun ;)

-> The N64 is a steaming pile of crap, populated with a truck-load of sub par titles, poor hardware design (more polys don't mean much with muddy textures), and a controller designed for some deformed humanoid sub-species.

It does less polys than PS1 or Saturn, actually. On paper, yeah, it does more, but the SGI Fast3D microcode is terrible. The muddy textures aren't that bad on an old CRT.

View PostViper The Rapper, on 15 November 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

It does less polys than PS1 or Saturn, actually. On paper, yeah, it does more, but the SGI Fast3D microcode is terrible. The muddy textures aren't that bad on an old CRT.

I don't know about the N64 pushing LESS polys >,>

On an old CRT, the muddy textures really stick out with 2D visuals. I.E. sprites/UI interface.
Not to mention some butt-ass framerates XD

All that combined is why I've yet to get past the first stage for Duke Nukem Zero Hour (don't forget dat controller)
I'll stick with Time To Kill :3

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Anyone who says Duke Nukem Forever is good doesn't know what a "good" game actually is.

• The Sarien Encounter

Duke Nukem Forever had elements of 'good' in it, but it's mostly outweighed by the overall bad design decisions. Like dedicated server support without the ability to play on your own server or actually do any administration. I can't speak to the actual multiplayer because I never had the opportunity to play it (and I didn't really feel like it...I rarely play MP games), Now nobody plays it at all so there's no point.

The N64 controller was great. You move your hand to the appropriate handle when the game calls for it, which usually wasn't much. All games I've played were left hand in the center, and right hand on the right. I never used the left handle for anything. I never had a problem with any game I've played on it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 November 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Duke Nukem Forever had elements of 'good' in it,

The N64 controller was great. You move your hand to the appropriate handle when the game calls for it, which usually wasn't much. All games I've played were left hand in the center, and right hand on the right. I never used the left handle for anything. I never had a problem with any game I've played on it.

'
No it didn't, it was a shitty game overall. Normally i accept opinions, but please :D.
Right on the spot with the N64, couldn't have said it better! ;)

View PostReaperMan, on 15 November 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Anyone who says Duke Nukem Forever is good doesn't know what a "good" game actually is.

Just to emphasize, I said "good" not "great", incase anyone was wondering ;-)

It should have been a lot better sure, but it's far easier to stomach then any of the COD games :-|

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options