• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 August 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

I said it wasn't a big deal. It's just that I use the numpad to play and I'd have to reach all the way over to the other side of the keyboard. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice. If you can really get to the alternate ammo with next/prev keys than there's no issue. I never noticed that was possible.

Nope. I am an idiot who just wanted to be right. Pay not a knats ass worth of attention to my B.S.

This man deserves what he wants.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Not sure if sarcasm....

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 August 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Not sure if sarcasm....

Nope. I went into the game, gave myself all the weapons, and realized that it's true, you can't get the other ammo types via prev/next weapon switching. My bad. Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTerminX, on 05 August 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

It doesn't work right in software... the explosions and SMALLSMOKE sprites are messed up.

I ripped these messed sprites from the ROM too, that's what they look like without the filter that also adds an alpha channel.

View PostNightFright, on 05 August 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Gotta admit I had serious aiming problems with the grenade launcher, too. Whether or not this is due to what Lunick described, I dunno, though. You get kinda used to it after a while, though. And if you don't, well... you're screwed? xD

On the other hand, the uzis can also be quite inaccurate. Anyway, it's rather a challenge than an annoyance. Guess dual-wielding uzis and doing headshots with them all the time wouldn't be easy to pull off with real weapons, either...

I was just trying to reproduce what's on the original. The Grenade Launcher is very weird, and functions different from the other projectiles. The SMGs can be very useless without auto-aim.

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

BTW, is it a coincidence that the new weapons in the N64 version - dual-wielded UZIs, grenade launcher - have very similar counterparts in Shadow Warrior?

User is offline   Fox 

Do not forget the heat-seeking missiles. Have you not seen the Lu Wang drawing in Hollywood Holocaust first apartment secret?

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Why do people keep calling them Uzis? They're MP5s and look nothing like Uzis.

User is offline   Fox 

The Uzis are from Shadow Warrior, MP5Ks from Duke Nukem 64.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Indeed, but Flibble and Night Fright both referred to Duke64 as having Uzis.

• Judge Mental

View PostJimmy, on 05 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Indeed, but Flibble and Night Fright both referred to Duke64 as having Uzis.

They don't know their guns, they just shoot em. Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

They aren't MP5Ks either.

User is offline   E.C.S 

They are guns and they go pew pew pew all the time, is all we need to know.

Excellent job Fox, time to replay another old classic gem. Good timing since I will be changing my computer soon and I need something to play on my notebook while I move everything to the new HDD.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTerminX, on 05 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

They aren't MP5Ks either.

They are, but their shape is not exactly that of real-life weapons just like the Colt 1911 and Spas-12 aren't identical.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I would say they are based off of MP5KA4's just with some artistic liberty for cool factor.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 05 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

• el fundador

It's not that their shape is not exactly that of the MP5K, it's that it's completely different. :P

User is offline   Fox 

They look a lot alike for me.

Posted Image

• Judge Mental

Yeah the pickup is very clearly an MP5K. The only major section that seems to be "way off" is the mid section of the body. The back, the forward hand grip, the sightings, and the area around the trigger (just above Duke's hand) look pretty close.

Artistic liberties. :P

• el fundador

The major difference is that the MP5K has a rounded body, but the SMG in Duke Nukem 64 has a lot of straight lines and angles that just aren't similar. I'm not saying you can't tell it was obviously heavily inspired by it, just that it's not the same at all. :P

User is offline   Fox 

But there is also the MP5 SD in the gun store, with the same "artistic liberties":

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ya gotta remember too this was like before the internet really, and these cats were from the UK. They probably modeled these guns from memory from movie scenes.

User is offline   Fox 

I wonder if they used "fictional" weapons to avoid censorship.

Edit: It's so obvious, these are branded weapons and they change some details to avoid copyright issues. For the same reason Counter-Strike guns aren't identical to real life and have different names. It's the same thing GTA does for cars.

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

User is online   Jblade 

No I'd say they changed the details to make them look more cartoony to suit Duke64's art style a bit more - that and only the original Shotgun was based on a real weapon and that was modified as well (although only very minorly to add the nuke logo and the palette)

Jimmy: uh, the internet was around back then and pretty sure you could still look for a guns website online :P

This post has been edited by James: 05 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Well, yeah the internet existed in 1997, but it was just a completely different beast altogether. Google wasn't even founded until 1998. I doubt they looked them up online.

I would definitely agree that they just drew them to make them look cool.

the mod is awesome. the only thing i wish was that this could be used for older EDuke32's. like those that have Dukebot abilities. that way one can play the mod using as many Dukebots as they choose. even more than what the actual game has. like an 8 player DM Duke64 style with all the stuff from Duke Nukem 64 mod in it.

User is offline   Fox 

With a gameshark you could play with more players / bots in the original.

Because Duke Nukem 64 was limited to 4 players in Deathmatch, some of the maps don't have enough spawn points for 8 players.

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

that sucks. but as i mentioned. it just would of been cool to of used it to play Dukebots on ports that had the ability. i had an older version of the mod. and i've played Dukebots using it. but i love the mod :P it's awesome

This post has been edited by NukemRoses: 06 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 August 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

I'm having a bug in episode 2. Whenever you see space outside a window it overlaps any sprites in front of it. I'll try to get a screenshot of this.

I am aware of this. I am not using paralaxed skies to render the backgrounds, but instead the effect I am using is displaying a tile behind the scene, and making the paralaxed ceiling / floors cutouts (which is basically the same thing they did for Duke Nukem 64). But there seems to have some glitches with this effect, except for the classic mode (though I am not using the effect in classic mode for this mod). The reason it happens more often in the second episode is because in the other episodes the background is not very visible. Open the original E1L1 from PC and check out what it looks like.

• el fundador

Does it make a difference whether the parallax bits are set or unset on the sectors?

User is offline   Skulldog 

Windows 8.1 reports that download site as unsafe.

User is offline   Fox 

Try downloading from the website: http://duke64.duke4.net/downloads/

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options