Duke4.net Forums: SmoothDuke (weapons) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SmoothDuke (weapons)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Posted Image
Tip animation implemented in StrikerDM. This one was a pain since I had to port the tip code from C++ to CON, and backport EVENT_DISPLAYTIP support to OldMP.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Noice, these are only two extra sprites, but it already makes it more smooth.

User is offline   pavigna 

wow, this is pretty amazing. dunno why i never noticed this thread before. Honestly hope you guys can put it out, it would be awesome to use for mods, seeing that smoother animations also imply that you can make custom weapons that replace vanilla ones "smooth". You never cease to amaze me, Dzieran.

Thanks, most of my edits can be found here if you're interested in seeing them:

https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=37&t=60457

Anyway, this project/mod didn't die... yet ;).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hey dude, all the widescreen edit sprites from Megaton edition were made by me except the RPG which was made by Fox if I remember right.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I think for Megaton they were all you. For HTTKC we were looking at RPGs by Minigunner and Fox. One of them we gave to Nerve for WT, but I don't recall which. If it changes pixels inside the bounds of the original sprite it's not Fox's.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're right actually. Got mixed up there. It's been so long ago.

You were that guy? I didn't know that.

User is online   Phredreeke 

View PostHendricks266, on 04 December 2020 - 01:32 PM, said:

If it changes pixels inside the bounds of the original sprite it's not Fox's.

it does

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDzierzan, on 04 December 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

You were that guy? I didn't know that.

No prob dude. I don't make a big stink about it or anything. I don't think the credits for Megaton are very obvious. They're free for anyone to use to do whatever they want, though. (That was part of my agreement with General Arcade.)

Smooth Dookie, I used DAIN-APP software to create this. Interestingly enough, smoother animations show imperfections of original sprites, for instance, you can notice that the hand underneath the gun is disappearing.

Posted Image

User is offline   jkas789 

Smoothduke, is perhaps one of the most beautiful things I have seen aside from smooth Blood, and smooth doom.

I'm reviving this thread by asking whether anyone has the time or will to make Dzierzan's work into an actual mod, because I certainly don't have the talent and/or skill.

Striker user was meant to make a mod for that. Not sure if it's still on the table.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 30 January 2024 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostDzierzan, on 18 January 2021 - 02:06 AM, said:

Interestingly enough, smoother animations show imperfections of original sprites, for instance, you can notice that the hand underneath the gun is disappearing.

He's stroking it.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That's just AI generated interpolation. I wouldn't use it to judge the quality of the original artwork. Nobody noticed it until the AI introduced uncanny valley. I would blame the AI.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

One can literally hear the balloon popping after this clearification.

User is online   Phredreeke 

If we look at the frames from the game (before any AI interpolation goes on), we can still see that on the last two frames of the walk animation Duke's hand is not seen beneath the gun
Attached Image: dukewalk.png

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 01 February 2024 - 04:43 PM, said:

If we look at the frames from the game (before any AI interpolation goes on), we can still see that on the last two frames of the walk animation Duke's hand is not seen beneath the gun
Attachment dukewalk.png

I would argue there are at least 3 pixels of his fingers still under the gun even on the far right frame, but they are shaded darker (in shadow?). Although it's true that the hand doesn't wrap all the way to the other side of the barrel as it does in the 1st frame. Could be a mistake, or perhaps an intentional combination of shadows and the gun shifting a little from the impact his step.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I know that the original artwork has its issues in some areas, but that area in particular looks to me like a combination of shading and a slight perspective shift.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostRadar, on 01 February 2024 - 05:48 PM, said:

I know that the original artwork has its issues in some areas, but that area in particular looks to me like a combination of shading and a slight perspective shift.

^this
the weapon is brought in closer to the body than it moves away.
the wrist also gets exceptionally large, then goes extra thin.
The fingers are lost in the shading; the last frame a portion of the hand and part of the thumb are also lost to the shading.

If you're going to re-interpret the art and upscale it, then fix the hand shading before you feed it into your program

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostForge, on 02 February 2024 - 08:58 AM, said:

If you're going to re-interpret the art and upscale it, then fix the hand shading before you feed it into your program

imo any additional frames should be hand edited. I find this script kiddie AI stuff that's getting popular to be quite soulless.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options