Duke4.net Forums: feature request: better controller support in BuildGDX - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

feature request: better controller support in BuildGDX

User is offline   J432 

m210, I think it would be nice to run BuildGDX with controller without spending hours with configuration. For some reason my old DS4Windows config I had for BloodGDX did not work with BuildGDX and I managed to run the game with Steam client instead but this is far from optimal. Could you please take a look for example at the open source code of Doomsday Engine? It handles this very well and properly detects most used controllers including DS4 without need for any external program. The user can just load preset binding for given controller and no additional configuration is necessary.

This post has been edited by J432: 03 March 2020 - 05:59 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

It has been suggested before.

I've also suggested a unified configuration for actions common to all games.

User is offline   J432 

View PostPhredreeke, on 03 March 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

It has been suggested before.
I've also suggested a unified configuration for actions common to all games.

So is it on the list of planned features?

User is offline   fgsfds 

It will require BGDX to be able to use SDL's controller database. It is possible, but SDL wrappers for Java are huge, not sure if inflating jar's size even more worth it.
It would be better if it was possible to get controller's GUID with Java tools, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

User is offline   J432 

I hope that some solution will be found. BTW, the game looks just incredible on big TV with upscale packs plus I feel no carpal tunnel pain with controller like with mouse and keyboard.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View Postfgsfds, on 03 March 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

It will require BGDX to be able to use SDL's controller database. It is possible, but SDL wrappers for Java are huge, not sure if inflating jar's size even more worth it.
It would be better if it was possible to get controller's GUID with Java tools, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Same with me. In my advanced old age (I'm forty-nine, though I'm not sure where the last thirty or so years went...) using a mouse for even a short time gets uncomfortable now. Controllers are fine though.

IMO, having defaults for XInputs would be sufficient, as wrappers like DS4Windows emulates a X360 controller anyway

User is offline   J432 

DS4 has native DirectInput support and lacks XInput, but many games support DS4 without need for a XInput wrapper.
www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualShock_4
I would prefer this in BuildGDX too as wrappers can sometimes cause problems.

This post has been edited by J432: 07 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

Ideally it would have both. But if DInput preconfigs aren't feasible for the reasons fgsfds described then I'd rather have XInput preconfigs than nothing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options