Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever: Railgun Montage - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever: Railgun Montage  "My personal montage of some railgun kills in DNF"

User is offline   StarNukem 

Well, this topic went TOTALLY off subject, but since we are sharing OPINIONS here, (let it be noted that I put "opinion" there in big letters before you guys start attacking me) I'd like to say that I actually enjoy Duke Nukem Forever. I STRONGLY believe that everyone thinks the game sucks because after 12+ years, everyone is expecting a AAA game out of DNF! I had only heard about DNF in 2009-2010, so my expectation and hype wasn't so far out of the roof. Upon first opening the game and playing it, I did enjoy it for the most part. I'm not someone who jumps on a game's case for having bad graphics or linear gameplay, so this game didn't bother me much in that department. What I was truly there for was a Duke game, and for the most part, it didn't really feel like a Duke game. It was more PEW PEW PEW, DUCK BEHIND COVER, THEN GO PEW PEW PEW SOME MORE, A.K.A Halo/Call of Duty/etc. But the other parts were still Duke. It seemed like his one liners got a bit more cheesy and dumb, but that didn't stop me from chuckling a bit. Of course after 12 years of development, everyone is expecting a game that will stomp the market and be something INSANELY good, but because they took so long to release this, Duke's name had been forgotten. Most true gamers could say "hey I know Duke Nukem!" But due to the flooding of Call of Duty's, Halo's, and Assassins Creed's on the shelves, Duke became an icon of the past.

Just a brief history of the development process for you guys to TRULY understand what it was like for DNF on it's rise to fame/hatred:
-1998) George Broussard and team begin working on a build for DNF on the Quake engine, but the Quake engine couldn't handle HUGE environments so that got changed.
-2000) George Broussard and team playing around with other engines and fiddling with different scripts, but George found a better engine, so after a couple of years of hard work, Broussard said "FUCK THIS SHIT GUYS, I GOT A NEW GAME ENGINE FOR YA!!!"
-2004) George Broussard gets even dumber and says "Ya'll need to check this out, we got a different script!"
-2006) Team is pissed at George and more than half of the original crew is gone. George was in debt and had to fire a lot of them as well, only making the staff numbers go down. George was out of options. He needed money.
-2007) Gearbox say, "we got it from here, George!" To which George kindly signs over the Duke Nukem IP.
-2007 - 2011) Gearbox twiddles their fucking thumbs and eats glue for about 4 years while trying to "polish up" Duke Nukem Forever for an eager audience.
-2011) Duke Nukem Forever is said to be one of the biggest mistakes of that year along with Brink and a few other titles. Thanks Gearbox and George Broussard.

I blame the history for the most part. George was very stingy, and was extremely full of himself. He wanted the game to be the best on the market! If he had stopped changing game engines and scripts, that could have been achieved! Gearbox was also a bad choice to sell to. They definitely are NOT the best company to assign that game to, especially if they're not going to take the time to actually "POLISH" the game! Aside from the history, the game takes a turn for the worse when everyone OVER-HYPES the game. When you over-hype it, it's not going to be as good! If everyone keeps over-hyping Half Life 3, that game is going to end up like Duke Forever! Now, honestly I would have to give the game a 6/10. It was fun for the most part, like the multiplayer. That MP has replay value. Sadly, unless you're going for all of the achievements, DNF Single player does NOT have replay value. Once I beat that game, I was done with it. I went back and beat it on Damn I'm Good, and said "FUCK THIS CAMPAIGN!!!" His one liners are good, the gameplay is unoriginal, graphics aren't too good for todays standards but aren't anything worth flipping over, and it's just not the perfect Duke game. I don't think DNF is going to gain any popularity unless Gearbox releases the source code or some modding tools for that game. Without that, this game still stands at a 6/10. With the source or modding tools, maybe a 7-8, but like I said, the game isn't ENTIRELY bad, but it's not entirely GOOD.

View PostThe Commander, on 09 November 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

Everything that Commander said is a joke!

Commander, you need to relax. You are a very pushy and rude member of this community, I've noticed that! When someone says something that you don't want to hear, you make a big deal about it! Just relax and understand peoples opinions. We are all entitled to having one, whether it be good or bad. You just gotta relax and let people speak their minds without harassing them for thinking. :)

P.S. I don't mean to attack you, I don't know you that well. I'm just saying, you need to take it easy man! I left a comment on your page on Steam and you got mad. DooMNukeM made a comment and you fought with him there. He was just stating how he felt. Like I said, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just telling you to relax buddy.

This post has been edited by StarCraftZergling: 09 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMicky C, on 09 November 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

No hiding then shooting? Duke has practically zero health and has to hide behind things all the time! And the Ego is not "ego". You can't just slap a different name on regen health and call it a parody. It's not a parody, it's the exact same thing everyone else is doing.
True ego health would be something like in Manhattan project btw, where you actually get ego back every time you kill enemies.

I also think you're missing the point about the point. DNF relied way too much on boobs and crude humour. Duke 3D on the other hand, you could take away the babes (and possibly the one-liners as well), and you'd still have a game that's just as fun as it was before. If DNF needs to "push the limits" on sex and bad taste to make a point, rather than the actual gameplay, then there's a problem.

@Kathy, Total biscuit gave his opinions of the game during the fight on the top of Duke Burger; i.e more or less half way through the game, and after the Duke Burger platforming sections.
Btw I disagree about the "epic adventure" thing. The whole game is spent going to the Duke Dome and then Hoover Damn. That's not epic, that's dull. Although it does sit nicely with DNF's level design; from A to B to C.

Thank you for the much better explanation of my own thoughts of the game. That is my way of saying I completely agree with you.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 07 November 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

I've got a video for you guys! Certainly not my best kills, but just a short 4 minute video of me popping heads with the railgun!

Now I wish I could record on my ps3 when I had my 20-0 in free for all, it was awesome. (trying as hard as I can to get back on topic)
any ways if you like DNFMP, you'll probably like this
Red eclipse (100% Free)
Or this when it comes out:
toxikk ($15)
Or even this too, maybe (has FTP aspects) when it comes out:
Project Blue streak (free To Play)
also cube 2:
Cube 2 (100% free)
also reflex when it comes out:
reflex ($15)
and you probably already know all the classic popular ones so I shan't list them.
And of course the Rott Remake, which doesn't need an introduction on these forums.

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 09 November 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Just a brief history of the development process for you guys to TRULY understand what it was like for DNF on it's rise to fame/hatred:
-1998) George Broussard and team begin working on a build for DNF on the Quake engine, but the Quake engine couldn't handle HUGE environments so that got changed.
-2000) George Broussard and team playing around with other engines and fiddling with different scripts, but George found a better engine, so after a couple of years of hard work, Broussard said "FUCK THIS SHIT GUYS, I GOT A NEW GAME ENGINE FOR YA!!!"
-2004) George Broussard gets even dumber and says "Ya'll need to check this out, we got a different script!"
-2006) Team is pissed at George and more than half of the original crew is gone. George was in debt and had to fire a lot of them as well, only making the staff numbers go down. George was out of options. He needed money.
-2007) Gearbox say, "we got it from here, George!" To which George kindly signs over the Duke Nukem IP.
-2007 - 2011) Gearbox twiddles their fucking thumbs and eats glue for about 4 years while trying to "polish up" Duke Nukem Forever for an eager audience.
-2011) Duke Nukem Forever is said to be one of the biggest mistakes of that year along with Brink and a few other titles. Thanks Gearbox and George Broussard.

>Tries to tell Duke4.net what DNF's development history was
>Gets it totally wrong

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostHendricks266, on 09 November 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

>Gets it totally wrong

Why would he even post that on a website that's devoted to the one and only?
and it should be a given that most of us, even me ( the newest member on this forum) know the development history of the 3rd worst game in the series very well. (by avg. critic review)
(although I have lurked on these forums for probably ~4 years...) Dnf is really the 2nd worst because Manhattan project was rated badly for illegitimate reasons. (mainly price)
and being DNF had several years more of development time and almost ruined an iconic game developer, it is much worse then land of the babes. (by opinion)

P.S. Why do I never directly address statements?

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 09 November 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Of course after 12 years of development, everyone is expecting a game that will stomp the market and be something INSANELY good

I don't think anyone was expecting perfection or anything like that. Obviously the game had been in development hell for over a decade which kind of indicates something may be wrong, however some very questionable design decisions and some poorly-implemented features/ideas really drag down the fun factor.

If people overhype Half-Life 3 and when it comes out it's not revolutionary but still a solid game, the thing people are going to be saying about it is "well it's not revolutionary but it's still a solid game". DNF on the other hand is passable as far as Duke goes, not solid. Yes there's some bitterness involved, but the game didn't have to be that bad. (I'm talking 6.5/10 tops).

Edit: To be fair what really went on with DNF's history behind the scenes is still a bit of a mystery, but yeah that description's way off. 3DR closed down in 2009 IIRC. Very sad day.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 09 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMicky C, on 09 November 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

Edit: To be fair what really went on with DNF's history behind the scenes is still a bit of a mystery, but yeah that description's way off. 3DR closed down in 2009 IIRC. Very sad day.

I remember the mass exodus to Duke4.net then happy times.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I remember too. The 3D Realms forums were overloaded and I couldn't access them. Jimmy broke me the news.

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostReaperMan, on 09 November 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

I remember the mass exodus to Duke4.net then happy times.

I cried manly tears... when that photo showed up on 3drealms.com with the team of people sitting on top of the nuclear Icon. It was a very, very sad day.
Spoiler

I'm crying again.
Micky why did you bring it up? Why? Why?

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 09 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

I also think you're missing the point about the point. DNF relied way too much on boobs and crude humour.

If I may say, DNF only had 2 levels with actual nudity, aside from the magazines. The Hive, and Titty City. Unless you want to count The Queen, and the wall boobs... which still are part of The Hive. And Crude Humor... duh! Duke Nukem 3D relied on that a lot also.

Tits aren't nudity, i show mine all the time.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Btw I disagree about the "epic adventure" thing. The whole game is spent going to the Duke Dome and then Hoover Damn. That's not epic, that's dull. Although it does sit nicely with DNF's level design; from A to B to C.

If that was in reference to what I said, I actually stated that I 'enjoyed long journeys to reach a goal'. I never said it was 'epic'. It's much of the reason why I love the Half-Life series so much. DNF's journey did get boring at times, though. Too much. Again, largely due to the excessive driving sequences. I liked the driving, but it was just too much. It also handled really badly and frustrated me more than amused me. I was so happy every time I ran out of gas and got to run around again.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 09 November 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Tits aren't nudity, i show mine all the time.

Pics or it didn't happen

View PostHendricks266, on 09 November 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

>Gets it totally wrong

>Makes a joke
>Criticizes me for it!

This goes for everyone.

When I presented the history of DNF, I didn't want it to be accurate! For gods sake I know it's not accurate! Nobody knows what the hell went on back there except for whoever worked there!

It was clearly a joke and if you guys can't understand and handle that, well then that's too bad. Honestly though, I would never try to tell Duke4 ANYTHING about Duke Nukem because, like here, I'm bombarded with shit that either doesn't make sense, people who claim to know it in full detail and that everything I said was wrong, or both! It's like telling a 5 star chef how to make toast! Everyone needs to stop making a big deal out of this, for christs sake. What IS true about DNFs timeline is that it DID ago through various engine and script changes before it was finally kept on the unreal engine. I know this for a fact. Everything else I Bullshitted my way in because it was a JOKE. You guys really gotta get off my case lol. It's nuts how ravenous you guys got when I made a joke!

This post has been edited by StarCraftZergling: 09 November 2014 - 11:22 PM

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 09 November 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

>Makes a joke
>Criticizes me for it!

>Makes a bad, not funny, not even a joke, JOKE.
>Gets criticized again!
>Continues complaining
>When should have stopped
>Please stop

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 09 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Not exactly sure what you're talking about by "scripts" or "script changes". DNF was only seriously ever on 2 engines: the Quake 2 engine, and the Unreal Engine, which it switched to relatively early in development. Everything after that was just updates on the Unreal Engine (possibly (bits of) Unreal 2/2.5?). Some people might talk about the build engine and the quake 1 engine but that was just the dev team messing around in their spare time and not properly working on it. Then again, that pretty much describes the entire development cycle Posted Image

So it hardly went through any engine changes at all in the grand scheme of things. The main problem was every time a new game came out (e.g Halo), George would go "awww why can't DNF be like that? Let's put in all that stuff", and this along with general aging of the content (e.g art assets and perhaps occasional gameplay features) forced multiple restarts, not necessarily the engine itself.

Although I've only been in the community for the last 6 years or so, so I'd be happy to be corrected.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostStarCraftZergling, on 09 November 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

Commander, you need to relax. You are a very pushy and rude member of this community, I've noticed that! When someone says something that you don't want to hear, you make a big deal about it! Just relax and understand peoples opinions. We are all entitled to having one, whether it be good or bad. You just gotta relax and let people speak their minds without harassing them for thinking. :)

P.S. I don't mean to attack you, I don't know you that well. I'm just saying, you need to take it easy man! I left a comment on your page on Steam and you got mad. DooMNukeM made a comment and you fought with him there. He was just stating how he felt. Like I said, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just telling you to relax buddy.

Was this in relation to Dukes Nightmare 2?
I still stand by my comments, if you can't play it then that is not my fault.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 09 November 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Not exactly sure what you're talking about by "scripts" or "script changes". DNF was only seriously ever on 2 engines: the Quake 2 engine, and the Unreal Engine, which it switched to relatively early in development.

I think it was still their biggest mistake. Considering how much apparently was done through just several months of idTech2 Engine development changing it to a different and thinking convertion would take several weeks at most was dumb as hell. Especially when team was doing a solid work prior.

Although I've only been in the community for the last 6 years or so, so I'd be happy to be corrected.

The main problem, it seems, was that they never had a proper plan or no one bothered to follow it. Also, George was micromanaging. And with a constant changes in opinion on what should game have it proved to be almost an unresolvable problem.

User is online   Jblade 

I liked DNF and though apart from some dumb decisions it still had more imagination than a lot of other shitty FPS released around the time. At the very least it doesn't have you following some Dude opening all the doors and telling you what to do for 90% of the game.

View PostReaperMan, on 09 November 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

>Makes a bad, not funny, not even a joke, JOKE.
>Gets criticized again!
>Continues complaining
>When should have stopped
>Please stop

Adding more fuel to the fire here buddy. I've made my closing statements, there was no need for another, so I'd say YOU need to just stop.

View PostThe Commander, on 10 November 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

Was this in relation to Dukes Nightmare 2?
I still stand by my comments, if you can't play it then that is not my fault.

Man, I'm sorry but I didn't like Dukes Nightmare 1 or 2. I'm not into maps where you kill hordes of enemies at close range with an RPG. I think those maps are boring, and to add to that, in both Dukes nightmare 1 and 2, you only copy/pasted stock maps and just made it so that they connect! Along with many other people, I was never a real big fan of that map, but overall that doesn't explain your attitude. This whole thread turned into "Commander's rant about DNF." (Then it turned into "attack StarCraft for making a goofy mashup of untrue history" but that's not the point) People have not given me good word about you and judging by this thread alone, I can kinda understand what they mean. Maybe it's just your "take shit from no one" attitude and in a way, I respect that you'd stand up for what you believe in. I TRY to stand up for myself but this community doesn't allow it... At least we try I guess, but unlike mine, your "TSFNO" attitude is more rude than kind however. You don't resolve an issue kindly. It's more like "fuck you, fuck you, fuck you" when it should be "may you kindly insert a penis into your rectal cavity and move along :)"

P.S. I'm waiting for this community to use this reply against me haha.

If you didn't like the maps then why did you comment on them in the first place?
I even stated in the readme and description what they were and that they were copy and paste jobs and shit.

But you made yourself look stupid and still had to post dumb comments, just like you are here about DNF.

There is also a EDIT button, you could use that instead of making multiple posts as well.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 10 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

View PostThe Commander, on 10 November 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

If you didn't like the maps then why did you comment on them in the first place?
I even stated in the readme and description what they were and that they were copy and paste jobs and shit.

But you made yourself look stupid and still had to post dumb comments, just like you are here about DNF.

And that's what I'm talking about! I commented on the map to share my opinion, and I didn't like it. Same goes for a couple other people who also commented on it negatively and here you are going crazy about some stupid comments! Dude, it's not the end of the world because some people didn't like your map. Chill out!

But your comments are stupid, you are told the maps are crap in the description and yet you comment saying they are crap... What's the point in even posting that.
So I will reply and rip you a new one, don't like the don't comment.

I don't care about the comments any wqy, but thanks for bringing it up again.
I work on more advanced video games now.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 10 November 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostMicky C, on 09 November 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Not exactly sure what you're talking about by "scripts" or "script changes."

Scripting as in what type of scripting triggers the different events in game. "The coding." I don't know what they used for that, but there were changes to it, but I guess it's safe to say there were a LOT of changes in DNF over time.

View PostThe Commander, on 10 November 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

But your comments are stupid, you are told the maps are crap in the description and yet you comment saying they are crap... What's the point in even posting that.
So I will reply and rip you a new one, don't like the don't comment.

I don't care about the comments any wqy, but thanks for bringing it up again.
I work on more advanced video games now.

Good, stay away from Duke Nukem then. Why are you even here? You're like that troll that lives under the bridge and whenever we try to cross, your ass jumps out and say "LIKE MY MAPS OR I'LL CUT YOU!" Dude, go back under the bridge XD

User is online   Lunick 

Wow, this thread sucks.

View PostLunick, on 10 November 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

Wow, this thread sucks.

For once, I agree with you...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options