Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Released for PC & Mac - Duke4.net Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Released for PC & Mac

User is offline   MetHy 

Through SD cards is good enough for me

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Excuse the mega bump. Gggmanlives review of the Megaton Edition.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 18 July 2016 - 03:35 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'm very confused that he'd make a video many months after the game was pulled but whatever gets you views on YouTube I guess.

I was excited when I saw it on my Subscription page, but felt a little let down by the video on the whole.

At first he makes out like he's just going to talk about Duke 3D generally, then makes a pass about political correctness, then specifies that he's just going to talk about source ports, then he barely touches on the downsides to Megaton edition and gives micro-reviews to the expansion packs it includes, then basically name drops eDuke32 without any explanation and calls it a wrap.

Was hoping for a little more than that.

Nice review but he kind of miss some things

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Its a fine enough review; he said it has technical issues, which expansions are included and further reiterates his views on them (so you don't have to go clicking his older review) and that it's not currently even available.
The only thing that irked me was him saying its almost like the people that made the source port haven't even played a Duke game :/

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

There are so many glaring issues in Megaton that I wouldn't find it that surprising.

User is offline   Lunick 

I find that kind of insulting to termit

I would agree with him that the only benefit to owning megaton was getting the original game + the three expansions. That's the only reason why I bought Megaton. I just grabbed the assets and plugged them into eduke32.

View Posticecoldduke, on 21 July 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

I would agree with him that the only benefit to owning megaton was getting the original game + the three expansions. That's the only reason why I bought Megaton. I just grabbed the assets and plugged them into eduke32.

Easily accessible coop multiplayer + expansions was my reason to buy it.
That's also the reason why I regret buying Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. I thought it would come with multiplayer just like Megaton Edition, but for some dumb reason it doesn't.

To be honest Lunick the guy is right megaton does have it share of issues lucky for ya he didn't do the review when megaton got it mp if he did it back then.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 21 July 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

That's also the reason why I regret buying Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. I thought it would come with multiplayer just like Megaton Edition, but for some dumb reason it doesn't.

What I don't understand is why they choose to get the original network model on its feet, rather then spending the time getting some half assed client/server model working.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 21 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Before Megaton, it was still a hassle to get expansions working, even with EDuke32. Now it's easy and simple, just pick the one you want in the startup window.

Megaton also brought tons of players, including a lot for workshop maps.

It also has easy to play multiplayer. Too bad the latency is a problem

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I really appreciate the workshop aspect of Megaton. My favourite part is the OGG soundtrack, though. :P

User is offline   Lunick 

I wonder if Gearbox's port will use OGG files too?

Question has anyone every seen the shield come back up before on Eps 2 Level 2 I know you can kick it to make it stay up but this one is very strange, The shield was down all the way a guess a good min pass and the shield decides to come back up Here is the video of it

I have tried to test out the thing but no luck of it happen again guess it just a one time thing Duke 3D does some weird things when I play it.

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 22 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

Here something new I found

User is offline   Lunick 

Why does your game look so awful, do you have the brightness cranked?

Oh yeah I do have it really bright was playing some mods that were really really dark hard to see, so I turn up the brightness to see where I am going My Bad.

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 22 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Meh, the port served its purpose. It was never supposed to be EDuke32 competitor, obviously. Initially, it planned as a dead simple port – press one button – play the game: no launcher, no grp manipulations, no ports forwarding, no messing with configs, etc. Because most of gamers don't want to do that, most of them don't read Steam discussion, forums even reviews. And those players absolutely loved Megaton, hell it had a 97% positive reviews on Steam. Easy to use port in a pretty wrapper with bells and whistles, plus original game in DOSBox, expansion and multiplayer. Anyone who wanted more can just use EDuke32. Workshop was a big thing too. I remember one mapper told me that his map got more downloads from workshop in two months compared to all other websites combined in 7 years. Yes, it had issues and bugs, but not because we were lazy, we worked our asses off. It's because Duke's source base is very hard to work with. Yep, it's probably the reason why there is only one OpenGL port of Duke. And it's a reason why we should all be thankful to eduke/jfbuild contributors...

As a result, the community has grown, players got their portion of nostalgia, mappers got a bigger audience, ps3/vita version was released, jfduke/eduke authors got paid. Probably none of this would happen, if 3D Reals just put DOSBox version on Steam as initily it was planned...

Anyway, I would like to thank every Duke4.net community members for support/hate, thank you guys :P

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Definitely appreciate your work, termit! It helped in no small way to put Duke on the modern gaming map because it felt like it had actual care put into it to be put on Steam. It felt special. It wasn't perfect, but like you said much better than if they'd have just thrown it up with DOSBox. So thank you.

PolymerNG is Direct 3d 11 :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttermit, on 24 July 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Anyway, I would like to thank every Duke4.net community members for support/hate, thank you guys :P
Speaking of support: could you please update the Git repo or make a source tarball available?
I remember that some build instructions have been posted on d4n. Could someone please point me there?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View Posttermit, on 24 July 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Hate's a strong word, Redux would have made much more money if it was done properly however... with mp and some other things done well.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostLeoD, on 24 July 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

Speaking of support: could you please update the Git repo or make a source tarball available?
I remember that some build instructions have been posted on d4n. Could someone please point me there?

I've updated the repo. Just use VS2013 with v100 toolset and XCode 5/6 with LLVM GCC 4.2. Send me a message if you have build issues.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options