Duke4.net Forums: The Stairwell - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Stairwell  "An experimental map + updated standalone version"

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 10 March 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

Even more, the map is not as much about storytelling as it is about conveying a specific kind of atmosphere, which is done mostly with the aid of a rich soundscape, grim lighting and some visual tricks.

So Stairwell is basically to usermaps what Myst was to adventure games?

I may have to play this one.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The Stairwell is an experimental map based on some "SCP Foundation" story, which tells me absolutely nothing.

Why do you say this when Eddy gave the link to this story/web page in his first post.
I went and read the page and worked out that obviously this "SCP Foundation" is a collection of random stories.
I read all the documents for this story on that site and I can see how it all fits together.
Eddys could just be another one of the stories on the page, like Document 087-IV but it's done through eduke.

This post has been edited by Cody: 12 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCody, on 12 March 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Why do you say this when Eddy gave the link to this story/web page in his first post, I went and read the page and worked out that obviously this "SCP Foundation" is a collection of random stories.
I read all the documents for this story Eddy has done on that site and I can see how it all fits together.

It is still better than nothing. At least there is a download link for the stand alone.

b.t.w. I submitted a news item to duke4, no luck - is it going to be on indiedb? Posted Image

User is offline   ox-skull 

If you think movies like Stephen Kings IT, or games like silent hill and F.E.A.R are scary, This mod shits all over them for shear Terror. IMO
I havnt been this freaked out in a long time.

Not to say that the people who didnt like it dont have an imagination, you just need an overly active one.

VERDICT: Spine Tingling.

Ox

User is online   zykov eddy 

View PostHank, on 12 March 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

b.t.w. I submitted a news item to duke4, no luck - is it going to be on indiedb? Posted Image

http://www.indiedb.c...airwell-scp-087

http://www.moddb.com...airwell-scp-087

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 13 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostAchenar, on 12 March 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

So Stairwell is basically to usermaps what Myst was to adventure games?

Actually the only thing I know about Myst is that it looked good judging by the screenshots I saw more than ten years ago.

View PostCody, on 12 March 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Why do you say this when Eddy gave the link to this story/web page in his first post.
I went and read the page and worked out that obviously this "SCP Foundation" is a collection of random stories.

It's obviously not a collection of "random" storeis. I already mentioned how the links provided didn't really clarify much.

User is offline   Jblade 

It's pretty much a community-built horror archive that is full of stories written 'in character' that all connect together. Think of it as like X-files but built around a wiki and anybody can add an item/story/character. Alot of them stink, some of them are funny, and some of them are chilling.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostJames, on 13 March 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

It's pretty much a community-built horror archive that is full of stories written 'in character' that all connect together. Think of it as like X-files but built around a wiki and anybody can add an item/story/character. Alot of them stink, some of them are funny, and some of them are chilling.

Less Horror more of a collection of stories that feed on the paranormal or the unknown. X-files was a good example. :wub: A lot of the stories are great pieces of inspiration for anyone looking to do a short game. :)

I'm surprised by reaction to this little mod. After I uploaded this on Mod DB, it soon arrived on 4chan (and a lot of people from there came to Mod DB page), and after a while some russian guy even made a video about the mod

Oh, another video

Article on some indie site

And another one!

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 14 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

User is offline   Sebastian 

I have no idea what that guy was talking about yet I sat through the whole video and felt like I understood it completely. It was great hearing him freak out more and more as the video went on.
Nice stuff.

User is offline   Merlijn 

So I finally gave this a try - waited until the evening, shut down the light and play.. Needless to say, it managed to fucking freak me out! The swallowing darkness really helps the mood, I expected something to jump at me at any moment.. So job well done!

User is offline   quakis 

Played and reviewed. http://taw.duke4.net.../the-stairwell/

Wow, thanks for the detailed review, quakis!

Hmm, I missed this one first time round, just gave it a play. I was horrified... at having to climb down so many gray flights of stairs.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either - I also seem to remember you accusing my work of being boring, ha - there's potential here though and I'm sure it's quite enjoyable, I'm just not easily scared by things that are on a screen, I have problems with immersion.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostHigh Treason, on 17 May 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Hmm, I missed this one first time round, just gave it a play. I was horrified... at having to climb down so many gray flights of stairs.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either - I also seem to remember you accusing my work of being boring, ha - there's potential here though and I'm sure it's quite enjoyable, I'm just not easily scared by things that are on a screen, I have problems with immersion.

Now you are blaming him, yet he did a great job on making something based on external source material. Its not his fault you didn't understand the idea behind the map.

To be fair, I don't think this is one of my best projects. Sure it's got a lot of attention, but it's cheap, it's boring sometimes (A lot of russian players were actually disgusted by the game because of the graphics and boring moments) and some players may not understand the idea behind this (and it's okay).
I wish my other projects would catch so much attention. The Wall and Dream Trilogy were muuuuch better than this, but seems like I need to turn them into a games instead of mods just to make more people play them.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 18 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

@s.b.newsom; You're right, I didn't understand it, hence, this was my opinion after playing through once. To be fair, Eddy did link the source material but I took Quakis' advice and didn't look at that before playing.

@zykov eddy; Actually, after writing my last post I was worried I would have caused offence, I'm glad I did not. I've since read the material upon which this is based and it's more enjoyable for me after that as it gave it some meaning, wheras before it just seemed pointless, so I award a +1 for the effort. I always pay attention to your work, you can consider me a fan - anyway, I think you've got another project you're working on, so I'm looking forward to that. And I am still playing through Infestation in Time and enjoying it thus far.

View PostHigh Treason, on 18 May 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

@zykov eddy; Actually, after writing my last post I was worried I would have caused offence, I'm glad I did not. I've since read the material upon which this is based and it's more enjoyable for me after that as it gave it some meaning, wheras before it just seemed pointless, so I award a +1 for the effort. I always pay attention to your work, you can consider me a fan - anyway, I think you've got another project you're working on, so I'm looking forward to that. And I am still playing through Infestation in Time and enjoying it thus far.

Thanks for such kind words, man :)

Posted Image

I was bored, so I decided to remake this mod.
The new version features better graphics, new scares, fixed bugs, polished mechanics and many more. Hope you'll enjoy it.

Info & download

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Too bad I'm such a picky game player. I have probably passed over a lot of great games because of too much keyboard is needed to play. This remake is one of them. I can understand back in the old days of gaming using arrow keys for movement, but these days if it doesn't support the option of mouse movement for the player I don't play it. That also explains why I never bought a gaming console either. No mouse.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostMark., on 11 January 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Too bad I'm such a picky game player. I have probably passed over a lot of great games because of too much keyboard is needed to play. This remake is one of them. I can understand back in the old days of gaming using arrow keys for movement, but these days if it doesn't support the option of mouse movement for the player I don't play it. That also explains why I never bought a gaming console either. No mouse.

It does support mouse :D

User is offline   Mark 

Only mouse look. Player movement requires key presses. The menu features are disabled and I can't add in forward mouse movement.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostMark., on 11 January 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Only mouse look. Player movement requires key presses. The menu features are disabled and I can't add in forward mouse movement.

Here's a cfg file what fixes that.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 11 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Played the usermap. Since I didn't read any comments I didn't know what to expect. It was an interesting experience, albeit quite simple. It would have been an interesting piece in a bigger map.

Too bad I haven't understood that there was a remake of this map(hence the update). I played the initial release thinking it was a remake of some old mod. :D

This post has been edited by Kathy: 11 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostKathy, on 11 January 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Too bad I haven't understood that there was a remake of this map(hence the update). I played the initial release thinking it was a remake of some old mod. :D

That's weird. You didn't notice a big red letters in the first post?

User is offline   Kathy 

The worst part is that I did. But then I read about it being based on another material and I thought your map is a remake. Now I feel dumb...

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options