Duke4.net Forums: What will be Triptych's future? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What will be Triptych's future?

User is offline   randir14 

Do you think Triptych will continue to exist as a company, or will Gearbox hire them all? I wonder this because in the community day audio, Randy talks about Allen Blum and says something like "as long as he's around for future Duke games". Which sounds like they aren't going to kick Triptych employees to the curb, but at the same time I doubt they're going to continue letting a separate company operate in the Gearbox building. Maybe Triptych themselves are hoping to be hired by Gearbox? Probably more job security that way...

This post has been edited by randir14: 15 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

User is offline   SavagE 

arent they already acquired by gbx?

No they just let them move into their building to resume work on DNF.

I am not really sure if they are capable to make a modern kick ass game that fits the today's pretentious standards...
If Gearbox is going to make a new Duke Nukem game in the future, I think they will be using the Borderlands or the Brother In arms or the Aliens Colonial Marines team so they can make sure that a future Duke Nukem game won't be similar to DNF at all.
I imagine that triptych is going to stay hired there until their job of patching DNF is up.
I might be wrong though but this is what I would do if I was Randy.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Either they are going to be let go (if DNF is a commercial failure) or become a much bigger team so they can make a completely new Duke game.

OR, move over to work on Duke Begins. If it even exists anymore.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Having completed Duke Nukem Forever recently I hope they stay on and work on another Duke game with more sane management\time table and give them more member for their team. I didn't think the game turned out too bad considering its history so if they could do better than it in the next Duke game it'll be fantastic.... well at least in my eyes. In a way I hope they do work on Duke Begins as I would like to play a brand new duke game that has Dr. Proton as the antagonist.

I agree though with Mr. Deviance that todays standards are pretentious... especially if all people care about is if a game plays like the most popular flavor of the moment (like CoD) and has the best graphics.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 16 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

View PostTetsuo, on 16 June 2011 - 12:58 AM, said:

In a way I hope they do work on Duke Begins as I would like to play a brand new duke game that has Dr. Proton as the antagonist.

Well in the audio from the Gearbox community day you can hear Randy say that Allen Blum wants to bring back Dr. Proton, and that "it feels like it's going to happen". So I guess there's a chance.

This post has been edited by randir14: 16 June 2011 - 01:15 AM

Ha they couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't get rid of Triptych. Where is this audio?

User is offline   Martin 

7/10 for me.

View PostSinisterambo, on 16 June 2011 - 03:18 AM, said:

Ha they couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't get rid of Triptych. Where is this audio?

Check the Duke4 front page

This post has been edited by randir14: 16 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   trustn0! 

i wouldnt be suprised if they became integrated in the core GBX team
I mean can we blame triptych for the design choices in the game?
Its obvious they were implemented before they were even formed and when 3DR collapsed they just kept on finishing the game
They were working from a goddamn kitchen ffs and STILL managed to complete the game
so yeah i do hope GBX will integrate them

View Postrandir14, on 16 June 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

Check the Duke4 front page

Thanks listening now. The triptych part is surreal for me to listen to since I more or less came up with the idea of working on it as a small team of die hards to finish it and the amount of time it would take 2 days after the news of ceasing development at 3DR. I want a cookie!!

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

This bump is going to hurt. From the Gearbox forums:

I think Triptych Games has shut down. David Riegel stopped working at Triptych in December and is now at 2K Novato (Mafia 3). I'm not sure where Allen Blum wound up, but most of the staff left after their Kickstarter failed to gain much traction last year.

Thanks for shipping DNF, The Doctor Who Cloned Me, and the Borderlands dlc's, dudes! Shame that Fuzzy Slaughter was put on indefinite hold. It looked pretty neat.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 25 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Yeah, it's not looking good at all for Duke. Even if Gearbox does do their own Duke game, I don't think they're going to be open to suggestions from 3D Realms at this point like they were before. That probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. I'm willing to give Gearbox a chance to see what they can do, but my expectations aren't high. The only thing that I'm looking forward to when it comes to Duke is Time to Kill being ported, as Frederik teased the source code for it not too long ago.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 25 July 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Even if Gearbox does do their own Duke game, I don't think they're going to be open to suggestions from 3D Realms at this point like they were before.

Considering how the condition of DNF was entirely George's fault, that'd be a good thing. This is what we have to blame George for:
  • when he saw a Duke3D map where Duke visited the Hoover Dam, he got the idea to make a game where Duke visits the Hoover Dam
  • he forced the development team to switch from Quake2 to Unreal because the Quake2 engine could not handle the open areas of the Hoover Dam
  • he forced the development team to restart the development 2 more times
  • in 2003, he insisted to shoehorn a SNOW LEVEL into DNF because he had played The Thing and he liked the snow effects (I bet a snow level did not appear in DNF only because "cutting is shipping", and absolutely NOT because someone convinced him that it would be dumb)
  • he insisted to set half of the main campaign inside the Hoover Dam, because even after all those years, he was still obsessed with it
  • he insisted to to make absolutely linear levels because "cutting is shipping"
  • he scrapped health packs in favor of regenerating health
  • he introduced the 2-weapon limit
  • he scrapped ammo lying around the level in favor of infinite ammo caches
  • he decided not to include the level editor, after reassuring us for years that it would be included

And yet, in the audio interview, former 3DRealms employees sounded so brainwashed that they still described him as an AMAZING "shit filter" who always knows what works and what doesn't work in a game, and he's so good at it, and nobody knows how he does it!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostAltered Reality, on 10 August 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

• when he saw a Duke3D map where Duke visited the Hoover Dam, he got the idea to make a game where Duke visits the Hoover Dam

Sounds to me like we have to blame whoever the guy was that made the Hoover Dam map. :(

User is offline   t800 

Then I think we can send our thanks to this guy XD
http://dukerepositor...maps/Damned_Dam
I am pretty sure that is dam map with earliest time stamp (13th January 1998) I have ever seen. It is not bad map at all, very memorable for me as it was the very first dam I had chance to visit in pc game.

This post has been edited by t800: 11 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Georges Broussard is not that bad, but as the latin proverb/quote say : "ERRARE HUMANUM EST"...

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postt800, on 11 August 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

dukerepository.com/maps/Damned_Dam
I am pretty sure that is dam map with earliest time stamp (13th January 1998) I have ever seen. It is not bad map at all, very memorable for me as it was the very first dam I had chance to visit in pc game.

Blood has a dam map. I could be wrong, but I think Blood did dam, boat and train levels before anyone else in the Build engine. I wonder what's the first plane level. Maybe Wieder's map for Wanton Destruction?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   t800 

View PostMetHy, on 11 August 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I could be wrong, but I think Blood did dam, boat and train levels before anyone else in the Build engine.

Well, if you want to get really nitpicky, then in terms of having boat map, Atomic Edition beats Blood by 9 months. :(

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh yeah, of course...

View Postgemeaux333, on 11 August 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Georges Broussard is not that bad, but as the latin proverb/quote say : "ERRARE HUMANUM EST"...

You are forgetting the other part of the proverb: "PERSEVERARE AUTEM DIABOLICUM". To persevere (in one's mistakes) instead is diabolical. And George persevered A LOT in his mistakes. When he decided to stop and have Gearbox finish the game, it was already 7 years too late.

View Postt800, on 11 August 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

http://dukerepositor...maps/Damned_Dam

According to Randy (BOS Limited Edition Guide, page 379) it was from when the Atomic Edition of Duke3D was still being worked on.

Randy Pitchford said:

There was an amateur level designer that entered a contest back when we were working on the Atomic Edition of Duke. He built the Hoover Dam in Build, and Allen said "That's fucking awesome." I don't know for sure, but I think that might have planted a seed for all the Hoover Dam stuff that's in DNF.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 11 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Blaming George Broussard for all the pitfalls of DNF is kind of like blaming a two year old with a loaded hand-gun. Who gave him the gun? Some of this falls on Scott Miller. He should have managed his company better.

View PostJimmy, on 11 August 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Blaming George Broussard for all the pitfalls of DNF is kind of like blaming a two year old with a loaded hand-gun. Who gave him the gun? Some of this falls on Scott Miller. He should have managed his company better.

A two-year-old is not legally responsible for his actions. George is an adult and he is not legally insane, so yeah, blame George.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 11 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Some of it is almost symptomatic of the way Duke3D itself was made, I mean you listen to Richard Grey and some of the others talk about the way things were implemented into the game. IE the example of having the Enforcers occassionally shit themselves. Then tying that into Duke stepping into it, which then lead to water and bloody footprints, etc... They were all about "that's cool, let's put it in the game!" With Duke3D though they were able to shave off just enough excess and polish it up in a fairly timely fashion.

It's when the technology race began to spike after 1996 that things were just going to go wrong no matter what. First 3DR lost a couple of key creative people, which hurt the company, then it stretched itself way too thin on three different projects. If it were me I would have put everyone on DNF first, because that's the game that's going to win the bread, had Max Payne put out by Remedy as it was, and then worked on Prey after DNF, before doing a sequel to DNF if one was felt viable. Maybe keeping a tertiary team in place to develop add ons/DLC for DNF. Had I been Scott Miller at the time, that's what I would have told George when his new ideas would crop up. We'll stay on point. DNF is about this, this, and this. All these other ideas can be folded into add ons, mission packs, and freebie downloads for the community. There's no reason, for example, that George's "snow map" stuff couldn't have been put into an add-on pack, like the DNF equivalent of "Nuclear Winter."

Although the engine changes were all risky, I think they were smart, until you hit the post 2001 stuff. DNF 01 should have pushed after that trailer blew everyone away and been on store shelves before E3 2002. Why? Because it would have found it's audience and been just like Duke3D, technically in the shadow of the Doom 3 visual revolution(Like Duke3D was to Quake in some eyes), but stood on it's own as an insanely well designed game. (Again going by all the information we have on that build from people like wieder, the interviews, trailers, and screenshots, etc...)

It's all academic at this point.

As far as Gearbox doing anything with Duke. I find the idea highly unlikely. If they ever bring Duke back, it's going to be in a very different form than what we knew. It's obvious to me that Randy and some of the people at Gearbox just did not understand the character.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAltered Reality, on 11 August 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

According to Randy (BOS Limited Edition Guide, page 379) it was from when the Atomic Edition of Duke3D was still being worked on.

I can't think of any other dam level before that one though...

Oh and BTW - Suckin' Grits on Route 66 too has a pretty cool dam level (one of the best levels of the add-on). Though that was released after that 'Damned Dam' usermap, I wonder if it was made before... maybe Wieder remembers?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostAltered Reality, on 11 August 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

A two-year-old is not legally responsible for his actions. George is an adult and he is not legally insane, so yeah, blame George.

Scott Miller was responsible for George's actions. He was complicit in the failure of his company to deliver. George was a problem. If it had been my company, George would have been removed from his position and kept as nothing more than a consultant. Every failure 3D Realms has endured since 1996 has been because they have refused to evolve. Tramell Ray Isaac made this exceedingly clear when 3DR folded and the fate of DNF was up in the air. (I wish his old blogposts were available somewhere.) 3D Realms could not escape 1995.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 12 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I think the way 3DR developed content would have been fine had they had someone in place (Scott in this case) who would have pushed back much much sooner. A lot of George's ideas weren't necessarily bad, and he had a good filter for bullshit, except his own. Which hey, let's face it, how many of us have had even half the success that George enjoyed in the wake of Duke3D? You're liable to start believing your own press...

View PostJimmy, on 12 August 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Scott Miller was responsible for George's actions. He was complicit in the failure of his company to deliver. George was a problem. If it had been my company, George would have been removed from his position and kept as nothing more than a consultant. Every failure 3D Realms has endured since 1996 has been because they have refused to evolve. Tramell Ray Isaac made this exceedingly clear when 3DR folded and the fate of DNF was up in the air. (I wish his old blogposts were available somewhere.) 3D Realms could not escape 1995.

I wonder if he could legally remove George, though. When Scott founded Radar Group in 2008, to me it was almost as if he wanted to remove himself from 3DRealms (as I wrote in another post, "abandon the ship before it sinks"), leaving George on his own.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetHy, on 12 August 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

I can't think of any other dam level before that one though...

Oh and BTW - Suckin' Grits on Route 66 too has a pretty cool dam level (one of the best levels of the add-on). Though that was released after that 'Damned Dam' usermap, I wonder if it was made before... maybe Wieder remembers?

Oh and that level is called Hoover Dam.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options