Duke4.net Forums: Mapping - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm 99% sure you can use it, he was willing to let me use it in my level before, and the very reason he put it up was so that it could be included in a map. You might just want to send a pm his way to let him know you're using it though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm working on physics for rolling boulders, and I want it to be realistic. If I get this right, it will be useful for other things, too. The problem I'm having is that I don't have the mapping skills to create the situations I need to test them fully.

The most useful thing would be an inverted dome, or something like this skatepark:

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

An inverted dome is a sinch in LEBuild. I'll whip up a map with different domes when I get home in about 8 hours.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I was going to say try this map... but the .rar is corrupt so I can't look to see if it has the above.

http://www.amcwebfor...hp?topic=7562.0

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Muelsa's Dukebike test map could be useful.

Posted Image Yes of course, it should run as is although I suspect you will have funky textures.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on 28 July 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

Posted Image Yes of course, it should run as is although I suspect you will have funky textures.

Yup, but I'm not quite THAT bad at mapping. I can handle the really minor stuff.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 28 July 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

An inverted dome is a sinch in LEBuild. I'll whip up a map with different domes when I get home in about 8 hours.

It seems to have turned out well, though I wouldn't mind having a demo map for it.

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on 28 July 2011 - 11:28 PM, said:

It seems to have turned out well, though I wouldn't mind having a demo map for it.

I've attached a map with 4 different areas for testing; 3 spheres, and a tube, the geometry of which is as detailed and realistic as possible in build courtesy of Craig. You can make the slopes steeper/shallower by resizing the sectors, and drag half the verticies of a sphere to make a 'skate rink' if you want.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  dome1.zip (102.51K)
    Number of downloads: 848

Awesome to see the progress on these levels and to see maybe a new episode arise! Great work guys, love to see the community working on this still! :(

Are you back now William?

User is online   Mark 

I managed to sneak in a little mapping time this afternoon. I added more inside and outside detail to the castle area and added a small island and building out in the open water by the main part of the map. The player can move around inside and on top of the main building. I still have to figure out something to add to the area on the right. Its a little plain looking even for my tastes. :(

This post has been edited by Marked: 31 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That looks very nice.

User is online   Mark 

I added a couple of quick tweaks to the castle and re-posted the pic in the previous post. The plain square structures on the far right and left are a little less plain.

User is online   Mark 

I added a few enemies to my map today and noticed they don't want to cross over water. Is that a coding thing with an option I can set to bypass? I have a sprite bridge built over the water and they will not cross. Its too easy to kill them if they just stand around at the edge. This is my first attempt of placing enemies in a map and I guess I'll have to do some reading to figure stuff out on my own, but just another quick question to get me started. How do I get an enemy to stay within it's starting sector until the player passes nearby?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 01 August 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

I added a few enemies to my map today and noticed they don't want to cross over water. Is that a coding thing with an option I can set to bypass? I have a sprite bridge built over the water and they will not cross. Its too easy to kill them if they just stand around at the edge. This is my first attempt of placing enemies in a map and I guess I'll have to do some reading to figure stuff out on my own, but just another quick question to get me started. How do I get an enemy to stay within it's starting sector until the player passes nearby?

If your map is going to be a town map with town type quests, shops etc., which is what I imagined, then we probably shouldn't be worried about placing enemies in it yet.

But since you asked, here is the situation regarding water. In most maps, it is bad news when an enemy enters a water sector. Due to hardcoded facts about water sectors, it is very difficult for them to get out. If there is an under water sector connected to the lotag 1 sector, the enemies will sink into that and never get out. That's why in Duke 3D there are maps where pigcops and other enemies walk into the water and end up in some underwater area for the rest of the game (and not drowning). Even if there is no under water area (i.e. it is just a lotag 1 sector with no SE 7) enemies still tend to get stuck in it. They walk around hip deep, sometimes standing on top of the water, and usually cannot get back on land.

For these reasons, I added code that prevents non-flying enemies from entering lotag 1 sectors. Making an exception for sprite bridges is not as simple as it sounds. Being able to detect whether there is a sprite bridges is pretty difficult, let alone making sure that the enemy stays on the bridge when crossing. Also, enemies tend to fall through sprite bridges, especially if they are jumping enemies.

I could bust my ass coming up with a system that made enemies smart enough to cross sprite bridges over water, but it's not worth the effort. It would be far easier, and no less fun for the player, to simply avoid the necessity for that situation. For example, any flying enemy (such as a wyvern or wraith) will fly over the water without hesitation.

User is online   Mark 

OK. Thanks. I didn't think they would be used in my map. I was playing around in a spare copy trying out things. I'm an enemy placement virgin looking to gain "experience" :(

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Shot:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Wrecked.jpg

User is offline   E.C.S 

I don't want to sound annoying but...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, every time I mess with the art, that map gets fucked up again because it uses the old Duke tile numbers. It's easy to fix.

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostDeeperThought, on 04 August 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

Yeah, every time I mess with the art, that map gets fucked up again because it uses the old Duke tile numbers. It's easy to fix.

Good... wait... oh s*** I posted this in the wrong section, sorry for that DT, I need to sleep more often.

View PostMarked, on 31 July 2011 - 05:16 PM, said:

I managed to sneak in a little mapping time this afternoon. I added more inside and outside detail to the castle area and added a small island and building out in the open water by the main part of the map. The player can move around inside and on top of the main building. I still have to figure out something to add to the area on the right. Its a little plain looking even for my tastes. ;)

That shot looks pretty awesome. (y) :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options