Duke4.net Forums: LNGA mod & Qwnz0r Qwn3d TC - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LNGA mod & Qwnz0r Qwn3d TC  "A real geeky total conversion in progress"

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 December 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

You do amazing work at a technical level that I cannot approach. Are you using mapster script to build the GUI? This could become the standard for Duke mappers. But what if they don't want to use CLUT, or they have their own palettes?

This editor is fully EDuke32-based, so it uses conventional game events to handle the GUI. My CLUT library window is designed specially for this mod, arranging the available palettes into seven categories. There's no point of having this for vanilla Duke editing imho, since there are not very many palettes.

A couple of remarks regarding the plot. I've changed the way I'm currently seeing the storyline a bit. Now the custom episode is expected to blend sci-fi and new-age style, reflecting both scientific and spiritual advances of the humanity by 2040. The highlights of the game will encompass subjects like the nature of consciousness, mind-body problem, morality aspects etc. As for the story itself, there was some kind of an mysterious object (source of radio signals) discovered in the nearby outer space, and scientists couldn't identify its origin and properties. They found it necessary to check if the body poses any threat to our civilization. As all the attempts to contact the being from Earth have failed, the governments have funded a space mission and sent Duke for investigation. The object was deemed to be situated within our Solar system, but as Duke arrives, things go unexpectedly...

Hey guys, I'm back to present a new tech demo video for you. There was significant progress over the last year, since I left my job and have had much free time. This video features some extensive dynamic lighting and physically correct shadow maps throughout entire scene, as well as bump and reflection mapping, realistic cloth and hair simulation, soft body dynamics and advanced animation of game characters such as the strippers and Duke himself (including lip syncing). Duke looks a bit weird in this video, but it's just a converted model from some free clipart which will be eventually replaced.

That's OK, you're allowed long absences if you're going to return having made great progress such as this. If you hadn't said so, I'd almost think this wasn't running in Build anymore, looking forward to seeing how far you can develop these concepts.

Spoiler

User is offline   Gambini 

jeez

User is offline   Mark 

:blink:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 01 April 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Hey guys, I'm back to present a new tech demo video for you. There was significant progress over the last year, since I left my job and have had much free time. This video features some extensive dynamic lighting and physically correct shadow maps throughout entire scene, as well as bump and reflection mapping, realistic cloth and hair simulation, soft body dynamics and advanced animation of game characters such as the strippers and Duke himself (including lip syncing). Duke looks a bit weird in this video, but it's just a converted model from some free clipart which will be eventually replaced.

Damn that's impressive. I like the music you used.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Damnit, I forgot check the date and just click the link...

~_~

Wow, that's long time ago and I'm forget this mod at all... /sad

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I didn't forget about this impressive mod. Are some real news about it? I hope it's not dead...

View PostPerro Seco, on 07 April 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

I didn't forget about this impressive mod. Are some real news about it? I hope it's not dead...

Well, I'd say that the mod is proceeding into next development stage, mainly as EDuke32 tech is vastly inferior to what I want to achieve and faces some backward compatibility issues. Its rendering routines are too slow for complex effects and the CON script performance is limited as well. I'm planning to use EDuke32 for prototyping gameplay concepts and doing simple mods, but not making complete standalone games. Seemingly, the LNGA mod gradually evolves into something that isn't based on EDuke32, still I feel necessary releasing newer versions.

As for now, I'm working on my own technology somewhat inspired by Build engine, but planned to make use of modern hardware features like multi-core processors, GPGPU and SIMD instruction sets to gain performance and do stuff like realtime raytracing. My engine already can import Build tiles and VOC sounds, so one will be able to make use of the original game GRP file.

• Honored Donor

This is a bit off topic but how many cores does EDuke32 with the software renderer use? I suppose the rendering is all done on one core, while other stuff like game logic is done on another?

View PostMicky C, on 25 April 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

This is a bit off topic but how many cores does EDuke32 with the software renderer use? I suppose the rendering is all done on one core, while other stuff like game logic is done on another?

You can check it with Process Explorer. Almost all the work is done within one thread, meaning that it doesn't make use of multiple cores:

Posted Image

As I had stated before in the posts above, EDuke32 did serve well to this mod, but now I've decided to move on. A lot of things changed since 2014 (last time I updated the mod on my website), and now EDuke32 suffers from frequent crashes and some compatibility problems when trying to run the mod. This is frustrating and keeps me unmotivated in continuing mod development under EDuke32, trying to go around hardcoded features and various engine limitations. Luckily, my game engine has made a significant leap forward, making possible porting the mod to this new technology. Doing the same things in native C++ code is actually far easier than dealing with restrictions of CON language, and it works faster, consumes less RAM and should be done that way whenever possible.

Attached Image: CAPT0015.PNG

The screenshot shows my current progress. This might look familiar, but this is not EDuke32 anymore. LNGA is now powered by my own technology (the Brahma engine running inside my NipSys64 framework). Brahma works pretty well at rendering 2.5D environments and supports things like reflective walls and sloped sprites, but I didn't actually code the physics part. So far I don't even have simple collision detection working, and the hitscan routine is very incomplete. On the other hand, there already are working game menus with various options.

Thus LNGA will not be a Duke mod, but becomes a completely stand-alone game. No Duke3D assets (sounds and textures) will be used in later development. However, one can import Duke3D resources into this engine and eventually reverse-engineer original gameplay mechanics to some extent if one wants to. This could give birth to a new Duke3D 'port', however, I'm unable to do that without external funding. As I'm currently aiming to build a career of game developer, I'll focus at making indie games powered by my technology. EDuke32 is suitable for toying with mods, but not for new commercial products. Eventually I'll turn LNGA into some kind of a game, but who knows what will appear in the final product. If somebody wants to help me on this, you're welcome to contribute. Note that it will be a completely new engine (not based on Build), map editor, and other tools. I wish I could build/join a professional team creating games, but have no funds to hire pro developers (artists, mappers, etc.).

As I'm phasing off EDuke32 usage for the mod, there probably will be no updates in this thread anymore. I'm posting some engine development notes from time to time on my Facebook page and in Twitter, maybe getting to other places later.

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 31 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 31 May 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

As I had stated before in the posts above, EDuke32 did serve well to this mod, but now I've decided to move on. A lot of things changed since 2014 (last time I updated the mod on my website), and now EDuke32 suffers from frequent crashes and some compatibility problems when trying to run the mod. This is frustrating and keeps me unmotivated in continuing mod development under EDuke32, trying to go around hardcoded features and various engine limitations. Luckily, my game engine has made a significant leap forward, making possible porting the mod to this new technology. Doing the same things in native C++ code is actually far easier than dealing with restrictions of CON language, and it works faster, consumes less RAM and should be done that way whenever possible.

Attachment CAPT0015.PNG

The screenshot shows my current progress. This might look familiar, but this is not EDuke32 anymore. LNGA is now powered by my own technology (the Brahma engine running inside my NipSys64 framework). Brahma works pretty well at rendering 2.5D environments and supports things like reflective walls and sloped sprites, but I didn't actually code the physics part. So far I don't even have simple collision detection working, and the hitscan routine is very incomplete. On the other hand, there already are working game menus with various options.

Thus LNGA will not be a Duke mod, but becomes a completely stand-alone game. No Duke3D assets (sounds and textures) will be used in later development. However, one can import Duke3D resources into this engine and eventually reverse-engineer original gameplay mechanics to some extent if one wants to. This could give birth to a new Duke3D 'port', however, I'm unable to do that without external funding. As I'm currently aiming to build a career of game developer, I'll focus at making indie games powered by my technology. EDuke32 is suitable for toying with mods, but not for new commercial products. Eventually I'll turn LNGA into some kind of a game, but who knows what will appear in the final product. If somebody wants to help me on this, you're welcome to contribute. Note that it will be a completely new engine (not based on Build), map editor, and other tools. I wish I could build/join a professional team creating games, but have no funds to hire pro developers (artists, mappers, etc.).

As I'm phasing off EDuke32 usage for the mod, there probably will be no updates in this thread anymore. I'm posting some engine development notes from time to time on my Facebook page and in Twitter, maybe getting to other places later.

Please pm me. I'm really interested in contribuiting. :(

• Honored Donor

I'm sure we'd be interested to hear about any milestones you make in this thread, eduke32 or otherwise.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options