Duke4.net Forums: Comic Book Conversation - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comic Book Conversation  "Not Commie Book Conversation"

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

I finished the Hellraiser omnibus and it was pretty solid, I know I'm missing a lot of info by not reading the novels, but I shouldn't need to, and I was lost a little bit. Hopefully the alternate comics in the same universe shed some light on them. Art was extremely solid. Story was a bit too grand for Hellraiser, but it had alot of twists and turns that I liked. Of course there was gore, and some lore and background building. I'm definitely excited for vol 2.

For sake of discussion, my favorite comic of all time is meltdown, mainly because of how well it humanized the life of a superhero. Great art, but the story always hits me in the feels every time I read it.

This post has been edited by Null: 03 December 2020 - 08:20 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

best marvel hero:

Posted Image

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostForge, on 03 December 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

best marvel hero:

I had no idea the MAD linings artist did a marvel comic series.
I recognized the art style right away

User is offline   jkas789 

Of western comics I'm a fan of all things Conan, Red Sonja and the Warlords of Mars Series (Dejah Thoris included). I also enjoy the Elric franchise, Robotech, The Dakness, The indiana Jones series and Solomon Kane. Maybe sprinkle some Batman and other select runs from Marvel and DC.

I'm much more of a manga fan though.

Forgot my childhood crack: Calvin and Hobbes. Inject that shit right into my veins.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 03 December 2020 - 11:22 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View Postjkas789, on 03 December 2020 - 11:21 PM, said:

Of western comics I'm a fan of all things Conan, Red Sonja and the Warlords of Mars Series (Dejah Thoris included). I also enjoy the Elric franchise, Robotech, The Dakness, The indiana Jones series and Solomon Kane. Maybe sprinkle some Batman and other select runs from Marvel and DC.

I'm much more of a manga fan though.

Forgot my childhood crack: Calvin and Hobbes. Inject that shit right into my veins.

Mangas and comics influence each other alot, I'd say it's fair game.

I doubt junji ito would exist without comics like tales from the crypt, house of mystery, and the house of secrets.

And stories in comics started to evolve more when manga and u.s. anime started getting more traction.

My childhood crack was house of mystery by far. The reboot is garbage.

This post has been edited by Null: 04 December 2020 - 12:48 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

I got into manga a bit last year or so after my friends kept telling me to check out One Punch Man and I actually found the premise of the show interesting. That led to devouring the original manga the show was based on, and then the even earlier webcomic said manga is based on (and both sides of the story are still ongoing), and then I checked out Mob Psycho by the same author which I thought was maybe even stronger. Trying to explore more of the genre, I ended up reading Higanjima which is fucked up (maybe past Junji Ito levels which I also read, I liked Hellstar Remina), Attack On Titan even though it's too tedious to keep track of whatever is going on in there and tried giving a few more a try but I find that for me a piece of the genre really will be hit or miss. I also give no shit about most popular franchises, stuff like Naruto will irk me the same way I never liked DBZ growing up and got why all my friends were so into it. I do find the cultural dimension the Japanese traditionally look at the world from very interesting in general, though. In general I never really was into superhero stuff.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 04 December 2020 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View Postjkas789, on 03 December 2020 - 11:21 PM, said:

I have a book shelf full of calvin & hobbes, far side, and bloom county.
Also a handful of ".... is Hell" by matt groening before his simpsons days

This post has been edited by Forge: 04 December 2020 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   Forge 

I also have this wonderful book:

Posted Image

Posted Image

View PostForge, on 04 December 2020 - 07:46 AM, said:

I have a book shelf full of calvin & hobbes, far side, and bloom county.
Also a handful of ".... is Hell" by matt groening before his simpsons days

I wanted to buy the anniversary collection that came out a while ago, however they were pretty pricey for my mexican sensibilities.

Attack On Titan even though it's too tedious to keep track of whatever is going on in there and tried giving a few more a try but I find that for me a piece of the genre really will be hit or miss.

Word of advice. wait till AoT is done. Fucking manga is dragging its feet to the finish line and at this point it's better to wait for it to end. What are your favorite genres ck3D? I could give you some recommendations if you are interested. Out of the top of my head I can suggest All You Need Is Kill, Knights of Sidonia and Green Blood.

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postjkas789, on 04 December 2020 - 11:09 PM, said:

Word of advice. wait till AoT is done. Fucking manga is dragging its feet to the finish line and at this point it's better to wait for it to end. What are your favorite genres ck3D? I could give you some recommendations if you are interested. Out of the top of my head I can suggest All You Need Is Kill, Knights of Sidonia and Green Blood.

I'm actually up to date on AoT, went through every chapter available then earlier this year during the first national lockdown here, and then recently we got another lockdown and I read the ones that had came out since (I enjoy binge reading stuff). It's not that bad per se, I just have a hard time keeping up with the complex timeline, in-universe world history and rich character roster, but that's because I only follow that series from so close. Current arc is the spectacular one I feel like most people have been waiting for but if it wasn't for the sake of story completion, I kind of feel like most casuals like me wouldn't have minded if it had come 50 chapters earlier instead of all the tedious political set-up, that's purely on me here though, otherwise I appreciate it when an author is a perfectionist and won't just give the people what they like, that's how you come up with art that stands out. If you think AoT is dragging - as I said, I'm into OPM, Murata has been regularly retconing and redrawing his own chapters sometimes as far as four times to the point where getting into the series now and trying to be up to date must be super confusing. Some of the fights exist in different versions with different outcomes and characters surviving, now that's actually interesting itself as a work-in-progress study but yeah. Manga has been getting a lot more depth than the OG webcomic too, with plot elements that technically should overlap but really don't, so forget about checking out the (again, also still ongoing) 'source material' to get an accurate idea of what'll happen in the future acts. As a fan the unknown is actually pretty exciting, but you really gotta be into it to be into it.

About favorite genres I don't know, most genres repeat themselves real quick to me. I usually like one-off ideas that really stand out and explore modern concepts. I liked Higanjima because even though the actual story itself turns to shit real quick, with the most ridiculous gaps in logic and liberties taken with pre-established in-universe logic I've ever seen, the author had the particularity to admit to fucking up everything he originally wanted to be coherent as early as 50 chapters into the manga... Then said fuck it and drew 700 more, making it a point to give even less of a shit with every new one. The longest part of the first part of the series is spent looking for one item that in the end achieves nothing; the protagonist goes from struggling to beat one single enemy for 20 chapters to being invincible and slaying thousands of them on sight in no time; the same sword will both slash through concrete buildings and metal bars fucking underwater, yet break against the skin of an enemy that's too strong and two pages later everybody is uprooting trees off the ground, to instead fight with those; people who should die if exposed to infected blood can safely swim through literal swimming pools of it. Hell, one of the female characters' sole reason of survival (for like ten chapters) is she supposedly gave the thousand of vampires who were threatening her blowjobs. Every page is a complete ass pull and descent into the author's madness and in the end, the series is captivating to me because of that, it just explores something else.

Same goes for OPM, I tried checking out other manga that seemed to explore at least some of the same themes but they were always lacking something unique, and usually taking those themes seriously when OPM is notorious for taking the piss of all those common tropes.

I appreciate the recommendations and will look up those titles later, thanks.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 05 December 2020 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   Forge 

i have this as well. This should have been made into the D&D movie back in 2000, not that campy thing that flopped

Posted Image

View Postck3D, on 04 December 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'm actually up to date on AoT, ...

The last few chapters of AoT have been kinda cliffhangers, so I've made the conscious decision to just wait for it till it finishes. Both OPM and AoT are good though.

Also to those who read their comics digitally, what program do you use? I am a paranoid bastard who likes to hoard everything he likes. So I have a very sizeable collection in my external hard drive and use CDisplayEx to read.

• Balls of Steel Forever

The weirdest comedy stuff I read that I liked was probably the newer bizarro world comics, I can't find the volume I read online.
Attached Image: 2483_400x600.jpg
Probably this one
Been meaning to read maxx but have been putting it off.

There was also this weird offshoot I'll probably never find that batman and robin found a sub world or something that dinosaurs had always existed and there was human like things that had evolved from dinosaurs and there was a dinoperson robin.

This post has been edited by Null: 05 December 2020 - 09:59 PM

• Balls of Steel Forever

Well, knull offed the sentry in the king in black I hope he's dead dead this time but I doubt it, I didn't like him as a character, but marvel needs him for plot devices these days.

Alot of the avengers are symbiotes, including the celestials.

I'm expecting a reed richards thing for a solution. Or molecule man to be pissed off. White crown maybe.

Always could have beyonder step in but that's too lazy.

EDIT: Apparently thor has cosmic powers now, so maybe. And hulk has a one off in this, so we could see a cosmic immortal hulk coming in, especially since savage hulk has been weak for awhile, while devil and Joe are trying to control things.

One of my favorite offshoots was when martian manhunter went rogue, and the justice league needed plastic man. That's the good stuff.

This post has been edited by Null: 13 December 2020 - 10:53 PM

Living the thug life reading Conan on CDisplayEx. B)

Attached Image: Screenshot_2.jpg

I really want to buy a high capacity tablet to be able to read all my comics and books there. Really wish Apple made tablets with microsd reading features. My collection of comics/manga is over 400 GB alone!

Attached Image: Screenshot_1.jpg

• Balls of Steel Forever

View Postjkas789, on 14 December 2020 - 12:27 AM, said:

I really want to buy a high capacity tablet to be able to read all my comics and books there. Really wish Apple made tablets with microsd reading features. My collection of comics/manga is over 400 GB alone!

Samsung makes low end ~$150 to apple prices, I have the low end one, works well enough for comics.

Lenovo makes some around the same price. And have that foldable tablet for ultra high end. Dell is doing the same thing. Intel also.

Don't trust amazon as they like bloatware.

I prefer lenovo over vankyos, idk how good customer service is with vankyos.

Pocketbook color just released but it's a tad small, first e-reader to have a color e-ink display though, it's not perfected yet, so I would definitely wait for it to be more widely adopted.

This post has been edited by Null: 14 December 2020 - 01:50 AM

Personally I prefer Lenovo to Samsung, however their tablets are shit in my experience and where it really is at is at their 2 in 1s, however by that point you may as well buy a 256 GB IPad air 2020 and call it a day.

If I had all the money in the world though I would totally splurge on a $3100 Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Fold .

It has a good enough processor, looks cool and is foldable like a book. Imagine reading comics or books in that shit.

• Balls of Steel Forever

View Postjkas789, on 14 December 2020 - 03:17 AM, said:

Personally I prefer Lenovo to Samsung, however their tablets are shit in my experience and where it really is at is at their 2 in 1s, however by that point you may as well buy a 256 GB IPad air 2020 and call it a day.

If I had all the money in the world though I would totally splurge on a $3100 Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Fold .

It has a good enough processor, looks cool and is foldable like a book. Imagine reading comics or books in that shit.

Intel's doing a 17.3 inch one called the horseshoe bend.

If you want to get nerdy and don't care about an older os you can get a pixel c, it has a tegra x1, same processor as the switch, making it good for emulators, and a good display, no sd slot but you can get a usb c to microsd attachment

Idk if there's a lightning workaround for ipad.

Lenovos M10 low end tablets are on par with samsung spec wise, and review wise, I haven't tried them out personally.

their yoga tablets are garbo from reviews, same with the e10 for their "fire" competitor, and that's probably what you're talking about.

Yeah I like their yoga laptops alot, I'd rather get a yoga laptop then an ipad, and have normal x86 laptop parts, and it's easier to install linux if I want to.

I'm not too interested in apple priced tablets as the samsung a7 is good enough for me.

If I want pixel perfect color accuracy I'll upgrade my monitor, I'll get greater benefit from that anyways.

This post has been edited by Null: 14 December 2020 - 03:47 AM

I like Apple IPads for their performance, however what kills them for me is the lack of multiple format support, walled garden shit and no memory expansion options. Samsung and Lenovo have garbo tablets and I did actually consider the Pixel C. However again what kills it for me is the lack of sd slot. I'm at this point just waiting for windows to fully shit out Windows 10 on ARM so that the tablet market can get on it and make a descent not Apple tablet for once.

Remembered the Pixel Slate was a thing. That could also be an option.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 14 December 2020 - 03:48 AM

• Balls of Steel Forever

View Postjkas789, on 14 December 2020 - 03:46 AM, said:

I like Apple IPads for their performance, however what kills them for me is the lack of multiple format support, walled garden shit and no memory expansion options. Samsung and Lenovo have garbo tablets and I did actually consider the Pixel C. However again what kills it for me is the lack of sd slot. I'm at this point just waiting for windows to fully shit out Windows 10 on ARM so that the tablet market can get on it and make a descent not Apple tablet for once.

I feel like a Microsoft surface or a yoga laptop would solve your problem.

The yoga chromebook might help match with the performance.

Yeah I don't like apple as I like upgrading certain parts as need be.

I just need a tablet for comics, so, not day to day stuff, I already have a laptop and a desktop.

EDIT: The slate got shafted review wise

This post has been edited by Null: 14 December 2020 - 03:56 AM

Eh I think I will wait. With the advent of foldables I have high hopes for a foldable tablet that will be reasonably priced. Anyways another impediment is the software question. For ebooks at leas IMO the best app you can get for both management and reading them is Calibre. No competition there, even on MacOS. What is a little iffy is on both comics/manga side of the equation. So far I have not found a great software for reading comic books. I used to say Comicrack however that is dead and while at least for me CDisplayEx is good enough it lacks some of the neat little features that Comicrack had. Also it tends to lag in heavy comics/manga.

• Balls of Steel Forever

View Postjkas789, on 14 December 2020 - 04:03 AM, said:

Eh I think I will wait. With the advent of foldables I have high hopes for a foldable tablet that will be reasonably priced. Anyways another impediment is the software question. For ebooks at leas IMO the best app you can get for both management and reading them is Calibre. No competition there, even on MacOS. What is a little iffy is on both comics/manga side of the equation. So far I have not found a great software for reading comic books. I used to say Comicrack however that is dead and while at least for me CDisplayEx is good enough it lacks some of the neat little features that Comicrack had. Also it tends to lag in heavy comics/manga.

Yeah it's definitely always good to wait.

Especially now that rec 2020 is going to become a color standard with modern technology. So we're finally getting close to full natural color range on a screen.

• Balls of Steel Forever

Finished hellraiser the dark watch, much better then the omnibus, alot less grandiose mechanics and much more grounded, and the war was pretty darned gnarly.

This post has been edited by Null: 19 December 2020 - 12:53 AM

Eff it, this is the comic book thread so I'll necro it. I recently finished reading Red Sonja: Berserker from Dynamite (released on 2014). I liked it. The art was good and the story I found was all right. I though the polar bear cub was a cutie. It would have been nice if the polar bear survived.

And because I can not find the manga thread (if it even exists) I will also post my thoughs on Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo Kotowaru!

I though it was a great premise, kind off dragged at the end though. Also I was not a fan of the harem ending, though this is japanese manga so I have become inured to it at this point.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options