Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] bonus map for Decay - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] bonus map for Decay

User is online   Mark 

Unzip this map into the main Decay folder. Choose usermap and then Bonusmap from the menu.

You thought you were going to have a nice dinner and a movie with your date tonight. But...while standing in line for tickets
at the Cinema, a masked man storms the ticket counter for a robbery. Wanting to impress your date you foolishly decide to
confront the robber and be the hero. It didn't go too well. During the scuffle you hear distant gun shots and screaming.It
distracted you long enough for the robber to whack you on the head with something.Hours later you wake up in a pile of garbage in an unfamiliar back alley with a splitting headache. You pick up a nearby metal pipe that was probably used to knock you out. You want to find your way back to the Cinema to find what happened to your date.
Again you are hearing gunshots and sirens and proceed with caution.

I didn't get any replies when I asked here for beta testers so it has minimal testing that was done by my old buddy TeaMonster. Any issues with the map I can now shift the blame to him. Hee Hee. A known bug is one friend/enemy, a sniper bot, is a sprite instead of a model. He was never finished or used in the original release of Decay. I threw a couple in just for fun. I call them friend and enemy because they are not too careful about what they are shooting at. Its best to take them out
before they shoot you accidently. If they end up being too annoying I'll remove them.

The map is in 3 basic sections and is a keycard hunt to get from one area to the next.

Here is a link to the original Decay Project if you need to download and install it first.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__232700

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image
Posted Image

p.s. little time to play right now, but boy, Decay (I missed it all together) and your map, awesome.

This post has been edited by Hank: 12 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

User is online   Mark 

I don't see Polymer lights in your screen pics. As a reminder, Decay has the same lighting hack that HHR uses that will turn off lights not in the player's immediate area or view. It gives a framerate boost.

This map is a standalone while the other original Decay maps were a progression. This map started out as a remake of the first level of Kingpin. I found out that without using Kingpin assets the map couldn't capture the charm of Kingpin. So it became a regular small map. Later on after seeing how small the map was I decided to take part of my unfinished Hollywood Holocaust for Decay map and combine it with what I had here. So you will see some of the obvious parts of HH and a few from Kingpin. Especially the start position. A version of the back alley at the start of that game.

This release was just adding a new map. Someday I would like to revisit the project and replace some of those very early zombies with something as good as the newer ones made by Chicken and TeaMonster. I cringe when I see pics of the lamer looking ones.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 July 2018 - 03:44 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 12 July 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

I don't see Polymer lights in your screen pics.

I'm moving (better said trying to), so, my old comps can't handle Polymer. Once we are settled (early Winter) I play with Polymer. :(

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image
Posted Image

:( done in cheat mode, but with polymer :unsure:

This post has been edited by Hank: 15 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

User is online   Mark 

Any comments on the map? Gameplay, ammo/enemy balance,etc... I don't play or make many maps so I would like to hear what worked and what didn't.
Other than the obvious thing like even with a slower player speed and limited jump height its still too easy to run around zombies in open areas.

User is offline   Jim 

Can you please release a version with the sprite bots removed? It is jarring to see model and sprites together

User is online   Mark 

I think there were only 2 bots in the whole map so I don't know how "jarring" it could be. :( I removed them.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Jim 

Thanks, your map reminds me of Dead Epidemic for some reason

This post has been edited by Jim: 08 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Glad everyone had fun! Thanks to Ion Maiden and lack of time for other things, this map involved only minimal checking and direction from me. So big credit (and kudos) to Mark for getting it all done!

User is online   Mark 

With you guys being so busy with IM you left me alone with our other projects too. :unsure: :(
We'll see what happens.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 09 August 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

With you guys being so busy with IM you left me alone with our other projects too. :unsure: :(
We'll see what happens.

Welcome to the club :(

Posted Image

Idk if i miss something, but i could not find the way to reach the yellow keycard without cheating (noclip).
Also, the game has no end? I've reached the "roof" and had some bad times killing "them all", after that i cannot go back or finish the gamePosted Image.

User is online   Mark 

I didn't make an ending because I didn't think that anyone would survive the rooftop battle without cheating.

Wow, I can't understand how I messed up so badly with the yellow keycard. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it. Maybe nobody else ever bothered to finish the map. :(

Under the arches where you go up the stairs and into the hallway with the dead cop and elevators, I was supposed to make a connecting hallway to the secret room. Duh, I forgot to make it. This is what happens when I don't have beta testers for the map.

The main character is fast enough to troll many undeads, so i had enough ammo at the end, but it was not easy indeed xD.

You have to use all you can to kill the first wave before to rule the roof and, whenever you can, go out there and start to run and infinite loop them all.

All of you guys on this forum put a lot of passion in what you do: eduke and its update, the amazing HRP (btw i like the first pistol model too), stunning Tea Monster models, brutal and gore mods and many more, keep the good work!

User is online   Mark 

Thanks. Its always good to hear feedback from players. Good or bad. Did you play any of the original Decay maps yet?

Since you are new to the forums, I'll shamelessly plug some of my other projects in case you want to try them.

Graveyard https://forums.duke4...ease-graveyard/

HHR https://forums.duke4...aust-rethinked/

Quest Town https://forums.duke4...easequest-town/

and somewhere on the forum are other add-on maps for HHR, Graveyard and Dukeplus.

Here is the fixed version of the bonus map. There is now a way to get to the yellow keycard. No other changes made. Unzip it to the main folder and let it overwrite the previous map version.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 24 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

View PostMark., on 24 August 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

Thanks. Its always good to hear feedback from players. Good or bad. Did you play any of the original Decay maps yet?

Since you are new to the forums, I'll shamelessly plug some of my other projects in case you want to try them.

Graveyard https://forums.duke4...ease-graveyard/

HHR https://forums.duke4...aust-rethinked/

Quest Town https://forums.duke4...easequest-town/

and somewhere on the forum are other add-on maps for HHR, Graveyard and Dukeplus.

Here is the fixed version of the bonus map. There is now a way to get to the yellow keycard. No other changes made. Unzip it to the main folder and let it overwrite the previous map version.

Thanks, when i have time i will play the fixed bonus map and Quest Town that is new to me.

-Yea, i finished Decay before the bonus maps, i had a lot of fun closing so many zombies inside some rooms Posted Image, also, i noticed that the dogs are fast like the player, but they can't hit you if you keep runnig.

They must be hungry:

Posted Image

Played Graveyard already this May 2018, quite immersive with all that darkness and background music, at the start it reminded me a bit of Painkiller HD, later, reaching the Hell from above i thought "am not sure that i wish to go down there", and that damned flying skeleton scream like a Battlelord which made me immediately search around for a safe spot lol.

What i can say about HHR? It is just impressive (add-on as well), a bit salty when i saw the Battlelord at level 1, i felt like that would have not be a long project, i liked both the versions with and without Npc and humor.

P.S: Someone know why i can't add +1 reputation yet? maybe is too early.

Sorry for the double post, it won't allow me to edit...

Okay, i did a speedrun on the fixed Bonusmap (it is easy when you know where to go :() and the yellow keycard is no more a problem (also, the sniper is no more there).This run reminded me that for some reason, sometimes there is an invisible wall inside the "GUNZ 'R' US" room, and then you can't get the weapons inside there:

Posted Image

User is online   Mark 

That room is blocked. The only weapon you can get is on the front counter. I think you have to make a certain number of posts before you can leave up or down votes.

On your speedrun. Thats a problem with having zombies as the enemies outside. They are naturally slow moving ( in most movies ) so even with a slowed down player speed you can run around them most of the time. That is why it was decided to throw in a couple of faster ones like the nurse,dog and the zombie wasp thing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options