Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D : MegaDrive / Genesis textures and sounds - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D : MegaDrive / Genesis textures and sounds

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

Hello everyone!

I open a new thread, asking if anyone has ever had the idea to extract the contents of the MegaDrive version? I wish I could use a few special things with it.

Even if this portage is really to vomit, I would still like to exploit the tiles and sounds if possible.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

There's nothing there to exploit. It's lower quality heavily compressed stock Duke3D assets with some really poor Wolfenstein 3D level layouts. Nothing to steal.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 January 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

There's nothing there to exploit. It's lower quality heavily compressed stock Duke3D assets with some really poor Wolfenstein 3D level layouts. Nothing to steal.

Even the sounds are identical and highly compressed as well? Precisely, I wanted to exploit two monsters with mediocre colors to make them special enemies.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I don't have any rips of the enemies from DN3D on megadrive, but I could apply the game's palette to the regular PC enemies to get a degraded look if that's desired =P

Attached Image: uglytrooper.png

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 January 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

I don't have any rips of the enemies from DN3D on megadrive, but I could apply the game's palette to the regular PC enemies to get a degraded look if that's desired =P

Attachment uglytrooper.png

Yes, very good idea Phred. I would only need two enemies: the Liztroop and the Pigcop. If you manage to make the gradient with the same colors as on MegaDrive, it would be really nice. Thank you very much !

I watched the animations of the enemies and they only have the animation of march, attack and death. The rest will not be necessary for me.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Here's the processed sprites

Attached File(s)

View PostPhredreeke, on 15 January 2020 - 09:36 AM, said:

Thank you so much. I will see now if it will be useful in the mod

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 January 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

While a bit offtopic, I would disagree with being poor. Some of the maps even try to mimic distinct locations from duke3d maps with what little the engine allows. Includes some quite creative use of wolf3d era stuff i.e. fully parallax areas to simulate walking in space and whatnot.

Audio/music/graphics are downscaled indeed from duke3d counterparts. Something that is hard with graphics is that everyone always presents the game with emulation or otherwise RGB output, the game suffers a LOT if you're not using composite as all the art heavily relies on dithering where the composite signal would normally blur it away. The game actually looks surprisingly good for a MD game if you play it on composite.

More on topic: Levels would probably be the only asset worth converting over as everything else is essentially just a downscaled counterpart. Levels are the only real unique content.

It's true. The textures and are are very specific. However, I find the design of the levels to shit.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Lets be honest, no matter how impressive it might be on a technical level, the game is still total shit.

Yes I agree. It is the "porterage" of shame.

And since it's rotten, I wanted to have fun exploring the content.

View PostPhredreeke, on 15 January 2020 - 09:36 AM, said:

I tested these new enemies with your textures and finally, I am quite disappointed with the result. Ideas don't suit me at all. Sorry to waste your time my friend.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 30 January 2020 - 12:10 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options