• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

True Room over Room  "A truly 'über' feature for classic and Polymer"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHelixhorned, on 26 June 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Breakable ceilings and floors with SE13 are now supported by TROR. See attachment for an example.

Wow that was fast Posted Image

Another neat little thing would be to fuse together the floor of the top sector and the ceiling of the bottom sector when using the float SE with water to make a rising and falling water effect. As we know, the effect only works on the top sector, as the ceiling on the bottom sector remains at a constant height. However if the ceiling and floor are joint, then we can finally have the underwater surface moving up and down as well.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

That's fucking awesome!!! I want to map more for this than DNF.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDavoX, on 28 June 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

That's fucking awesome!!! I want to map more for this than DNF.

What happened to this then... :)

http://www.amcwebfor...hp?topic=8737.0

This post has been edited by The Commander: 28 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Well it's on hold right now, mostly because it needs optimization but seeing how poorly optimized Polymer is I would have to make a barren map instead of a detailed one. I don't want it to run like Duke Eternity.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I screwed up big time and you're advised to update to the latest snapshot if you don't want TROR connections disappearing randomly.

View PostHank, on 26 June 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

How do I get the top portion to look undamaged, before the crack sprite is activated? I tried another crack, no luck. NOT a complained, just a question Posted Image
Attachment beforethecrack04.jpg

The top looks hollow because it's only the horizontal mask that changes height and becomes invisible after destruction. There are at least two ways of remedying this, but neither is very pretty.

View PostMicky C, on 27 June 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Another neat little thing would be to fuse together the floor of the top sector and the ceiling of the bottom sector when using the float SE with water to make a rising and falling water effect. As we know, the effect only works on the top sector, as the ceiling on the bottom sector remains at a constant height. However if the ceiling and floor are joint, then we can finally have the underwater surface moving up and down as well.

In r1924, though as with every Duke3d effect there's subtleties to be aware of: first, while making either the floor or ceiling move is equivalent as far as their motion is concerned, only with the SE31 srites on the upper floor will be moved. Second, it's probably not possible to create water that is initially risen, but this is not TROR-specific.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHelixhorned, on 29 June 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

The top looks hollow because it's only the horizontal mask that changes height and becomes invisible after destruction. There are at least two ways of remedying this, but neither is very pretty.

Thanks, for your response. Right now I'm cheating and use tiles for the floor. BUT, if you can fix this down the road - all the powers to you. Cheers mate.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 29 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Quick question for helixhorned: will there be [or is there already] support for well linked subway car-floors using the TROR effect if you have two tracks with their own set of locators in the exact correct spots? I guess a real life example of this is like one of those multi-floored buses you see in some places around the world, or something. o.o

I do understand it's probably no simple feat for most mappers to get two identical sets of activators in the exact perfect locations in their sector sets for it, but I was still curious about the possiblity of the effect being around.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostLord Misfit, on 29 June 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

Quick question for helixhorned: will there be [or is there already] support for well linked subway car-floors using the TROR effect if you have two tracks with their own set of locators in the exact correct spots? I guess a real life example of this is like one of those multi-floored buses you see in some places around the world, or something. o.o

I do understand it's probably no simple feat for most mappers to get two identical sets of activators in the exact perfect locations in their sector sets for it, but I was still curious about the possiblity of the effect being around.

I was about to ask the same question right now. I have something like airplanes, flying saucers or submarines in mind which are moving around.

• Honored Donor

What were the controls to select (and deselect) a sector by mouse click? I remember it being discussed a while back, but I can't remember where.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostLord Misfit, on 29 June 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

That should be almost possible right now. If you take a look at the example map, you'll see that the upper subway has a roof which you can stand on and be moved with the subway, without the need to duplicate the locators on the upper level. This automatic movement of sprites won't work for inner loops of the roof sector though, since the upper wall-points are only being moved because they're TROR-linked to the lower ones. Now here you could simply duplicate the SE and locators on the upper level (giving the SE a different tag, but making it and the locators exactly coincide with the lower ones), and that upper part would then also support inner loops, but would right now also have the (redundant, since duplicate) auto-movement of sprites due to the auto-movement. That probably sounds more confusing than it is, but the bottom line is, the desired behavior is one small tweak away.

View PostMicky C, on 30 June 2011 - 04:34 AM, said:

What were the controls to select (and deselect) a sector by mouse click? I remember it being discussed a while back, but I can't remember where.

There is no mouse-click selection right now because that would take the effort of figuring out what other stuff it would conflict with and tweak that code accordingly. But having RCtrl pressed at RAlt release time amounts to the same thing. Selecting or deselecting additional sectors works by pressing [;] or ['].

User is offline   Zaxtor 

View PostMicky C, on 18 May 2011 - 02:18 AM, said:

No, sorry. I just looked up and went "wow that's a lot of corruptions."

The Ctrl-R feature still isn't very clear to me. Does it make it so that the selected sectors are the only ones that can edited, or that they're the ones that can't be edited?
Edit: never mind, I figured it out. It makes it so only the heights of the selected sectors can be edited.

Second edit: The corruptions have been fixed, I've linked a window on the bottom floor to a window on the top floor, and I've decorated the street somewhat. If anyone were ever going to download this map to have a look at, now would be a good time.

There is one glitch though, when I'm in the second top layer in 3D mode, the entire top layer just vanishes, and the parallaxed sky shows the brick texture I used and I can't seem to change it. When I'm in any other layer, the scene renders normally.

I know ur glitch at the floor before last 1 and before, before last 1.
U put wrong texture.
I downloaded it and fixed it.

User is offline   Stabs 

Great work, just went around my map in polymer, aside from the masking missing it was glitch free! :)

Thanks Helix

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this thread at the time but I did add Polymer support for TROR; as DanM said masked floor/ceilings aren't rendered yet but it's coming. There are also a few glitches with levels sometimes vanishing from view in certain cases but it should be pretty easy to fix.

• Honored Donor

View PostZaxtor, on 01 July 2011 - 12:06 PM, said:

I know ur glitch at the floor before last 1 and before, before last 1.
U put wrong texture.
I downloaded it and fixed it.

Back when I uploaded that example map I created a third and final copy that also fixed the bug, and added a few small things, but I never got around to uploading it.

View PostPlagman, on 01 July 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this thread at the time but I did add Polymer support for TROR; as DanM said masked floor/ceilings aren't rendered yet but it's coming. There are also a few glitches with levels sometimes vanishing from view in certain cases but it should be pretty easy to fix.

You. forgot. to. tell. us. there's. TROR. support. in. polymer? I'm not sure whether I should give you a plus rep for actually doing it, or a minus rep for not telling us! This is great news.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 01 July 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

I'm not sure whether I should give you a plus rep for actually doing it, or a minus rep for not telling us!

He should get greens just for posting. Posted Image

Thanks Plagman,

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostPlagman, on 01 July 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

ive noticed through paralaxed walls (para celing and floor squished together ) at a long distance it actually shows other parts of the level through these like they are portals

read dem changelogs.txt's micky :)

This post has been edited by DanM: 01 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Sorry for asking but, i still don't understand how this works could anyone please explain this one by one ?

• Honored Donor

Have you tried looking at the first post of this thread?

User is offline   darkcaleb 

i have read it but i need to know one by one, step by step if someone maybe could make a little video maybe?

Wait, right now i can't get it working and i have been doing RoR for some time now? I just downloaded the latest mapster a few days ago. I fail at the ctrl-E.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm gonna try what I can come up with...

• Honored Donor

View Postdarkcaleb, on 02 July 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

i have read it but i need to know one by one, step by step if someone maybe could make a little video maybe?

It doesn't need a video, it's really very easy.

First off, it's important to understand that if you want to put a hallway on top of another hallway, a window over another window or anything like that, TROR is not about just slapping the hallways on top of eachother, that's not how it works. In the situation I just described, you have to select the WHOLE area, make an extension above or below, and add the hallway/window to the extension. Think of extensions as layers, you can't have two windows over eachother in the same layer, so you create 2 layers, and have one window in each layer.

To understand what I mean by this, go into the example map provided in the samples folder, and press 'i' which will reveal the surface between the two ROR layers. (This is always useful to know where your ROR boundary is, which is sometimes necessary)

I'll now create a step-by-step guide explaining how to make an area below a manhole, like in Helixhorned's example. I assume you're already proficient in regular mapping.
1. Create the child sector where you want the manhole to be.
2. Highlight the sector with right-alt.
3. Hold control and press e. (This gives you the option to extend up or down)
4. We want to extend down so press z.
5. Hold control and press a so that in the bottom left of the screen it says something like "automatic grayout of plain sectors on" (you'll have to press it again if it says it's off) This allows you to edit the bunches seperately.
6. Either go into side view mode, and alter the player position by holding the middle mouse button and moving the mouse up or down OR press 'page down' a few times. Either way, the end result should look like the child sector you created now has a white boundary. This means you're working on the extension now.
7. Now you can treat the extension as the very first room you've made on a new map, and add sectors to the side of it. Make a sector all around it if you know how. You have just created a room under another room, where both can be seen at the same time.

It's much easier and faster than I made it out to be, I just tried to explain it as best as I can.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

This was really tricky to make, it involved a lot of joining of sectors for the upper part.

This only looks flawless with polymer on. On software I get hall of mirrors if I'm not inside one of the child sectors.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by DavoX: 02 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Here is another true.
This ROR was a pain to make.

Posted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Nice!

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Now that looks better Zaxtor.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

You know, looking at that, I just realized that we can finally do the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade walk across the invisible floor well. Setting the floor to block but not having a texture (is that possible? I should check but I'd rather ask stupid questions).

I answered my own question: it seems like it is possible.

Attached Image: indianaduke1.jpg
Attached Image: indianaduke2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 03 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

User is offline   WedgeBob 

This looks awesome...now besides the true room over room, now all we need is a mod that will allow for .FBX and/or Collada/DAE models to replace those crummy 2D sprites, then we'll perhaps be there in terms of bringing EDuke32 in line with DNF.

This post has been edited by WedgeBob: 03 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

You can already place models in Eduke32... since... a million years ago.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Would it be too hard to make it so that when you're at a different height, the stuff from below or above completely dissapears from 2d mode? The grey lines are really distracting me. It's not a matter of "But the lines are grey, don't worry you can't modify them by accident" . This is more like "damn there are too many lines on screen!" so yeah, that :)

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options