Duke4.net Forums: Behind the scenes, 3D Realms animator talks about development of DNF - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Behind the scenes, 3D Realms animator talks about development of DNF

View PostMr.Deviance, on 24 June 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Didn't really care to hear your opinion about my views but as you can see, 5 other people think it's worthy of a thumbs up.

Thanks for also proving you have some sort of massive fucking ego problem too. Not that we couldn't see that already. (MR DEVIANCE RIPS DNF A NEW ASS BY MR DEVIANCE STARRING MR DEVIANCE. PLEASE TELL ME HOW AWESOME I AM.)

Your other points are pretty fucking garbage as well. I'm being quite sincere about my statements in regards to this video. I take artists seriously, at the very least, and I'd hope other people could do so as well. If you can't tell the guy sounded reverent, calm, and fair about his statements, then I really don't know what to say to you.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 25 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWieder, on 25 June 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

But there is a *lot* missing from the history and I'm just suggesting you keep in mind the truth of "We don't know what we don't know".

It seems, DNF was destined to make history. I think they will talk about DNF 1000 years from now. You publish an article and get 100k hits, no matter what the content.

View PostColon Semicolon, on 25 June 2011 - 12:03 PM, said:

Thanks for also proving you have some sort of massive fucking ego problem too. Not that we couldn't see that already. (MR DEVIANCE RIPS DNF A NEW ASS BY MR DEVIANCE STARRING MR DEVIANCE. PLEASE TELL ME HOW AWESOME I AM.)

You forgot to mention the part where MR.DEVIANCE calls you a troll and bitch slaps you until you scream with pleasure. :)

View PostColon Semicolon, on 25 June 2011 - 12:03 PM, said:

I really don't know what to say to you.

Then don't say anything.
If you are willing to defend a guy that talks shit in public about his former project (DNF) and then you call him a respectable artist fine. However when you start insulting me for my personal opinions about him, you are entering a territory where the best thing that you can find is a field of Mr.Deviance labeled dicks for you to suck.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

I find the way you treat everyone with so little dignity to be despicable. that's all I'm saying! so please tell me more about dicks and shit that nobody cares about, I'm sure it'll make you feel a bit less like a baby to spout off swear words and insult people like you're hot shit.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 25 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

If it gives you some sort of closure, that's great for you... but don't think it means your conclusion is accurate. :)

lol people can draw there own conclusions but the proof is in the pudding I did not put what I figured out there people assume to much I work off facts and I got nothing to prove. Also lols at the negative rep 2 people care way to much about other peoples opinions xD

View PostColon Semicolon, on 25 June 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

I find the way you treat everyone with so little dignity to be despicable. that's all I'm saying! so please tell me more about dicks and shit that nobody cares about, I'm sure it'll make you feel a bit less like a baby to spout off swear words and insult people like you're hot shit.

Trying to generalize that my replies to you are a general example of me treating everyone here with little dignity, is a cheap attempt of trying to get other people to hate me for things that are only addressed towards you and maybe 2 or 3 more shitty characters like yourself.
I only treat people with a shitty character that way and only when that shitty character is pointed at me or at other members that try to contribute to this scene and also try to keep their opinions as objective as possible.
As far as shit and dicks go, they are not things that are meant to be debated here, they are just the nicest things I could find to compliment your derogatory remarks and your cheap troll attitude towards me.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

I bet people are going to look back over 10 years from now to this game and say that it wasn't a bad game at all.
That's how it mostly goes.

User is offline   SavagE 

You are free to believe you can come to a good conclusion... I'm telling you that you still only have bits and pieces. A reasonably decent very vague picture... perhaps. But there is a *lot* missing from the history and I'm just suggesting you keep in mind the truth of "We don't know what we don't know". You don't know how it came together... you know tidbits... and primarily from people who weren't there for the first 10 years. His description of how things went is similar in some areas to what I and others experienced... but also very different.

This approach to things like this doesn't just apply to this... it applies to pretty much any book, documentary, interview, article, etc you read about anything. The Wired article is well written, with some areas of truth, but a lot of things incorrect.

If it gives you some sort of closure, that's great for you... but don't think it means your conclusion is accurate. :)

then why dont you enlighten us on the pre-2006 era of development? Oh yeah, I forgot you dont want to. Well, maybe just say what wasnt true in wired's article and how was developing dnf different 10 yrs ago than 5 yrs ago. The team was smaller? You could do things faster cause the technology was simpler? What?

SavagE: It's not for Wieder to do and throughout his many posts during my time of lurking and his willingness to be involved in the community, he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would go out there and provide anything that could be misconstrued as negative of someone he used to work for or a project that he was previously involved with. This animator guy in the video offered some tidbits about what happened, and whilst very interesting, its ultimately just his version of the truth of what happened for the two years when he was involved in DNF. Given his reaction to this project, previous projects notwithstanding, I wonder how many are thinking - that he has worked with and seen this video - "does he bad mouth us as well?".

I certainly don't fancy his job prospects!

In any event, I see it like this: Broussard tried his best and put all his creative energy, reputation, money and time into getting DNF out. He didn't succeed for whatever reason, maybe he lacked focus, maybe the team didn't "get" what going on, maybe technology moved too fast for the overall vision and what was being developed was being quickly overshadowed or whatever. But whatever it was, ultimately, it doesn't matter now. What does matter is that a form of the game is out and is neither brilliant nor terrible - and is to me a reminder of what could have been as regards the single-player campaign. But hey, it's done. The only thing now is to see if Gearbox can truly pull off a Duke game of their own.

Regards,

Yickle

User is offline   Sharpie 

Personally I agree with George on the subject that Duke is a serious person. He may be a parody of action heroes, a massive smartass and a sexual devient to us but in his own eyes Duke is completely serious and legitimate with his actions. The people in his world also see him and his character in this limelight.

I think that is what made Duke Nukem and his world so enjoyable and humorous in 3D. For example when Duke sees a game of Duke Nukem 2 in the arcade he says "hmm don't have time to play with myself" It's funny to us because he is completely serious but we see it as a joke. In my opinion that is one of the critical things they missed in the transition to Forever. It's not to say there weren't silly jokes and gags scattered throughout but the overall tone of the game was a bit more mature than what DNF was. I feel that the developers didn't quite understand what made Duke and his universe so great. Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand.

I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem Forever and I am incredibly greatful that I was able to finally play it and wholeheartedly thank the developers, It's just not the game it should've been and most definitely could've been. The afforementioned issue, pacing, linearity, loading times and some questionably boring levels and design decisions IMO held the game back. I'd give DNF 6.5/10.

Sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into an ultra mini review. I hope you guys can see where I'm coming from.

This post has been edited by Sharpie: 27 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

User is offline   trustn0! 

They tried to have ones cake and eat it in DNF
There was no decisive tone in the game

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 27 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

User is offline   SavagE 

well gb clearly didnt had cohesive vision of the game at all at any point. One could say it was too personal for him, he was to involved with this - he shouldnt have been working as a director and Miller should have known this - eventually at least. But he was his friend, he co-founded 3dr and Scott couldt take Duke away from his hands. I'm just sad we're not talking here about 2001 version which seemed superior.

TO Charlie - sorry for what I've written - I'm glad you shared what you shared and gave us some perspective.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postthemaniacboy, on 26 June 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

I bet people are going to look back over 10 years from now to this game

Most likely they never will.

View PostYicklePigeon, on 26 June 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

SavagE: It's not for Wieder to do and throughout his many posts during my time of lurking and his willingness to be involved in the community, he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would go out there and provide anything that could be misconstrued as negative of someone he used to work for or a project that he was previously involved with.

/salute

View PostYicklePigeon, on 26 June 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

The only thing now is to see if Gearbox can truly pull off a Duke game of their own.

Indeed!

View PostSavagE, on 27 June 2011 - 03:55 AM, said:

TO Charlie - sorry for what I've written - I'm glad you shared what you shared and gave us some perspective.

No worries. I did think hard about the question though and one thing I feel comfortable remarking on that is "incorrect" in the Wired article, as well as other comments that have come out in public from the guys who joined after 2006... is the assertion that until Brian Hook came along there was no plan, organization, or even attempt at a plan.

There is so much railroad track that was put down prior to that point. They don't seem to realize how much working and battling (and sacrificing) was done to open the door wide enough so that Hook and the rest could do their part. That's fine... I wouldn't expect them to know the intricacies of what happened in the couple of years prior to 2006... but that means anything they do say relative to it is likely to be misguided.

BTW I was working with Hook on a contract thing prior to him deciding to go to 3DR and talked to him about it when he was thinking about it. I think he's great and respect what he seems to have done to help get things back on track during his time. I'm sad that he too didn't get to see it over the finish line and reach whatever his vision for it must have been.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 27 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hi Charlie

This bit from your post:

There is so much railroad track that was put down prior to that point. They don't seem to realize how much working and battling (and sacrificing) was done to open the door wide enough so that Hook and the rest could do their part.

Reminded me about this from the second installment in T. Ray Isaac's The Wilde Ride series of blog posts:

The funny thing is, 3dr didn't have anything more wrong than most other companies. ??? What's that you say??? 3dr was no different than any other developer??? Yep, I said it, their (our) problems were no more insurmountable than the next studio.

Maybe what he was talking about here was a result of the track that you guys laid?

View PostKristian Joensen, on 27 June 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

Maybe what he was talking about here was a result of the track that you guys laid?

Maybe... dunno honestly since I wasn't there. That's the fundamental issue I'm presenting with the "I understand what happened to DNF" mindset some people seem to develop.

I honestly don't know what it was like for those guys... as there was such a dramatic "adjustment" during 2006. I heard plenty of stories about what went on starting with my last day all the way till 3DR shut down development, but they were all second hand and thus... I can only take them as certain perspectives. Since I've *heard* what was incorrectly said about pre-2006 devs by post 2006 devs both public and private... I know I can't trust my impressions of what happened once I was no longer there based on the second hand information (not to mention the distorted view I picked up of pre 1998 devs while at 3DR that was later expanded/adjusted when I later worked with them). Both of those experiences taught me just how little *I* can trust those stories despite being right in the thick of it... and thus how much *less* the community has to work with to develop a reasonable picture.

Everyone cared... a lot. There were problems... George had his methods as a leader that clearly didn't work (no arguing around that given the dev time and reception)... but beyond that it's just a damn mess trying to decipher what exactly went on when a full decade is shrouded in respectful silence and about 5 years is shrouded in pseudo pimpage, leakage, and bombast.

/hug for all the fans and the community that I will always point to as my start.

This post has been edited by Wieder: 28 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

View Postthemaniacboy, on 26 June 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

I bet people are going to look back over 10 years from now to this game and say that it wasn't a bad game at all.
That's how it mostly goes.

No, the general populance, most of which never even played the game, will say it was a terrible game that is beyond mediocre, but in reality it isn't a bad game at all. They just base their ignorant comments from what everyone else said because that's what they heard themselves.

Daikatana.

User is offline   trustn0! 

Daikatana was broken with a insulting marketing advert racist characters and generally a bad game overral
DNF isnt Daikatana in no way shape or form

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThePinkus, on 28 June 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

in reality it isn't a bad game at all

What are you, the last instance?

This post has been edited by Helel: 29 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View Posttrustn0!, on 28 June 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

Daikatana was broken with a insulting marketing advert racist characters and generally a bad game overral

Protracted development cycle aside, no it isn't similar at all.

Did you actually play Daikatana? It got bad write ups due to the crazy amount of bugs and the broken save system, which the 1.2 patch largely fixed. Aside from the first two levels it was actually very enjoyable, fresh and creative.

But Duke isn't Daikatana. Duke doesn't need a patch to be enjoyable, the hype was low years before it shipped, and the bad publicity was gone prior to launch, it was considered dead. When resurrected, there were positive emotions and (mostly) reasonable expectations.

Daikatana was pure negativity during the last two years in development and it doomed the project, the reviews, and history's perception of everything leading up to and including the final product.

It's a shame because it was a pretty good game, and a wholly unique experience, and no one ever got to enjoy it.

Duke won't be grouped in with Daikatana because Duke was a running gag, a laughing stock. Daikatana, and Romero himself still have vehement hate surrounding them to this day.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

View Posttrustn0!, on 28 June 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

I'm not comparing Daikatana to DNF as a game. I'm comparing them to what Maniac had said. That in 10 years the general view of DNF was that it was this abysmal game, even though its not. Like Daikatana.

It wasn't a terrible game, nor was it the second coming it was hyped to be.

What it is is a pretty decent game (when patched) with some nice variety to it (and also some overly bland elements too). Some of the levels are actually pretty good, while some are just... so green. Doesn't change the fact it doesn't deserve such low reviews it got, much like DNF is getting.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

DNF was a disappointment, as big as the disappointment the first time I had sex. playing DNF is like having sex with a good looking girl, only you can't feel anything because you have a condom on...I hate condoms.

View PostDerickVonD, on 29 June 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

DNF was a disappointment, as big as the disappointment the first time I had sex. playing DNF is like having sex with a good looking girl, only you can't feel anything because you have a condom on...I hate condoms.

There are expensive ones for some reason.

I maybe said it wrong, i also don't how to explain what i meant, it is too complicated.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 29 June 2011 - 05:18 AM

View PostDerickVonD, on 29 June 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

Like a hotdog in a highway :) .

This post has been edited by Descent: 29 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

View PostDescent, on 29 June 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

Like a hotdog in a highway :) .

Not that bad, I could feel her pussy around the condom, but I just felt the condom and it felt like my dick was being suffocated lol

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Is it me or it seems you just lost your virginity? You do like to talk about it a lot.

View PostDavoX, on 29 June 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Is it me or it seems you just lost your virginity? You do like to talk about it a lot.

been about a year. I just talked about it in this thread once.

Is that Kurt Angle in your avatar?

View PostDescent, on 29 June 2011 - 05:31 PM, said:

Is that Kurt Angle in your avatar?

yes

View PostDerickVonD, on 29 June 2011 - 04:58 PM, said:

been about a year. I just talked about it in this thread once.

Twice.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options