Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever 2003 and 2006 footage. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever 2003 and 2006 footage.  "unseen stuff leaked out"

View PostPsyrgery, on 12 June 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

Would have LOVED to play the 2003 build, it looked like the 2001 one, but with Doom 3 lightning and improved models. Looked gorgeous imo.

Did you work in that build Wieder?

I was in a major car wreck in late 2001. By the time I was back to full health and working 100% we had switched to something in the general direction of the Doom 3 rendering style, yeah. I was on it full time till 2006. For better and worse as far as my influence is concerned I guess.

View Postzwieback, on 13 June 2011 - 04:18 AM, said:

what x-vector said.
the game should have been finished without fucking around with the renderer.

View PostX-Vector, on 13 June 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

It really isn't the same, because the 2003 version has that awful Doom 3 style lighting system, which makes it 'feel' very different from the 2001 build.
As far as my personal take on graphics goes, this is where the pooch had already been screwed.

Amen. :dukecry:

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Damn, if only I could go into Duke Nukem Zero Hour and take a trip through time. They definitely should release these builds and make a note for it be used for those with experience, as we don't know what the current state of those builds are, well, Wieder might.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 13 June 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

I must say that my favorite build of the game is the 1998 one, say what you will.

And it probably was the build they should have released. It was the same team fresh from the Duke3d. After only several month they, it seemed, had lots of stuff done aiming at 1999 release. Stupid Unreal Engine switch! How the fuck did they make the switch thinking it'd postpone the game only for several months... What a dumb decision.

I really think that 1998 build was the only time they were developing the game smoothly. Right before the switch.

View PostHelel, on 13 June 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

And it probably was the build they should have released. It was the same team fresh from the Duke3d.

Mmm... Duke 3D to 1998 is a pretty different crew.

I've now watched the opening cinematic for the game and it gets my "whoever put this together 'gets' Duke" stamp of approval compared to a lot of other things I've seen. Some damn good and well handled nostalgia combined with the new content handled in there :dukecry:

You mean the intro movie (Before the main menu), or the intro intro?

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 13 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

You mean the intro movie (Before the main menu), or the intro intro?

The video that has a lot of stylized clips of Duke 3D scenes mixed with what wound up shipping with with DNF content. It was a lot of fun. Working my way through the game itself. This is a curious experience. Heh. :dukecry:

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostWieder, on 13 June 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

Mmm... Duke 3D to 1998 is a pretty different crew.

Yep, I was wrong in that assumption. It was still felt as the right game to release. Based on trailer it was a good progression from Duke3d.

I've now watched the opening cinematic for the game and it gets my "whoever put this together 'gets' Duke" stamp of approval compared to a lot of other things I've seen. Some damn good and well handled nostalgia combined with the new content handled in there :dukecry:

The one with Duke3d highlights? It was marvelous!

View PostHelel, on 13 June 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

Yep, I was wrong in that assumption. It was still felt as the right game to release. Based on trailer it was a good progression from Duke3d.

I will forever be biased to the 2001 era... but the 1998 era is what got me so excited to leave Ritual for 3DR so.... I won't argue with you either. :D

View PostHelel, on 13 June 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

The one with Duke3d highlights? It was marvelous!

Yeah... it seemed to get the VERY subtle depth in the character and world of Duke. It's sexist... but... not... but still is... but isn't... :dukecry:

<3

View PostWieder, on 13 June 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

Yeah... it seemed to get the VERY subtle depth in the character and world of Duke. It's sexist... but... not... but still is... but isn't... :dukecry:

BTW I'm watching Duke Caribbean video walk-throughs tonight... so I may be particularly nostalgic, haha. :D

This post has been edited by Wieder: 13 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

User is offline   Psyrgery 

What do you think of the game so far?

I completed it last Saturday, and I quite enjoyed but.... The 2001 and 2003 builds come to my mind and make me think this could have been a Half-life killer, and not what ended up being.

User is offline   Malgon 

I have to say that the intro cinematic was quite cool. I thought it was a nice touch. :dukecry:

This post has been edited by Malgon: 14 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I just noticed the sliding door sound effects in the 2003 trailer were ripped from Descent II.

Jesus Christ, they must have been really behind on making sounds for that game.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostWieder, on 13 June 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

BTW I'm watching Duke Caribbean video walk-throughs tonight... so I may be particularly nostalgic, haha. :dukecry:

Ah such a good addon.

View PostPsyrgery, on 14 June 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

What do you think of the game so far?

:dukecry:

Hey what's that over there?

:D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDescent, on 14 June 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

I just noticed the sliding door sound effects in the 2003 trailer were ripped from Descent II.

Jesus Christ, they must have been really behind on making sounds for that game.

It's probably just from a sound library.

I don't think so. As far as I know Descent I and II had custom sound effects. This is the first time I've ever heard any of those sounds elsewhere.

Doom, obviously, was a completely different story.

This post has been edited by Descent: 14 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostWieder, on 14 June 2011 - 01:54 PM, said:

Hey what's that over there?

View PostDescent, on 14 June 2011 - 06:27 AM, said:

I assure you it wasn't. We got all our sounds during that time from audio libraries or hand made. Or Duke 3D when I was feeling stubborn. :D

Ahhh, I see. I guess the background music is just warping the way it sounds to me somewhat.

User is offline   Mack 

I loved all the versions of DNF, and I really wish all the major build eras had been released as different games

I entirely agree. I'm really enjoy seeing the 2003 and 2006 footage, I'm glad the videos were included in the final game (in a perfect world it would have been nice to receive the builds themselves, but then again in a perfect world DNF wouldn't have been delayed). I think people would probably be less butthurt about DNF 2011 if it was Duke Nukem 8 (with 1998, 2001, 2003 and 2006 all being separately released games).

I must say that my favorite build of the game is the 1998 one, say what you will.

This, 100%. The 1998 build had the largest impact on me and is still the version I want the most. Hell, I'd be as irrational as say I'd pay $60 for a 1998 DNF build even today, but that's most likely a combination of youthful desires unmet and nostalgia.

With the second last podcast Allen Blum, somewhat confused between the 1998 and 2001 builds, but confirming with descriptions of some of the 1998 footage, said that the 1998 build had a sizeable chunk complete. It's a real shame George dragged the company to Unreal. The amount of work done on the Quake 2 engine at that point (skeletal animations, scripted sequences, etc.) was, in my opinion, amazing.

I know there's a small mod team trying to put a 1998 inspired build together but it already feels on the wrong foot to me (apologies to the members on this forum who are working on it, I am just a picky old man).

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMack, on 15 June 2011 - 08:08 AM, said:

I know there's a small mod team trying to put a 1998 inspired build together but it already feels on the wrong foot to me (apologies to the members on this forum who are working on it, I am just a picky old man).

Where's this?

User is offline   Mack 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 June 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

Where's this?

Here you go:
http://forums.gearbo...ad.php?t=120070

A lot of talk but some WIP media on Pages 1, 5, 8, 11, 14, 16 and 17.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options