Duke4.net Forums: Triptych shortened the game. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Triptych shortened the game.  "possible spoiler"

I read that spreadsheet. It didnt make much sense to be honest. I havnt finished Duke yet and probably wont get the chance for a month or so.

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostRipemanewone, on 11 June 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Seriously, what the fuck are you guys talking about the game rocks! And Im playing the watered down 360 version I cant wait to get it for my pc, so I can actually see the textures on the enemys.

Surely Im not such a fanboy that crap seems good? I played most of the Duke games this is by far the best one since 3D, sure its not 3D but play that if you want that total experience.

Im just after the Hover Dam, and its taken me over 8 hours already, I am looking around a bit and drinking and smoking so that adds a bit (of extra fun) but it doesnt seem short by any standard plus Im playing it on normal I will save hard for when I get pc version.

Damn guys its the most fun Ive had in a shooter since Riddick and FEAR in recent years, never has killing virtual things been so fun, bad ass game sorry some of you guys are feeling let down, its Duke true and true but with out the secret areas by magic walls which I have to admit is a letdown.

I love it and second half of game seem much better to me more Duke 3dish where as the first half is more Half-Life/Haloish but in a good way.

Fuck the 14 years its a game and a damn great one too, time will tell its already more memorable than nearly any fps out there, DNF FTW.

That's the best Duke game after 3d ?
No way man Time to kill was much better.
Oh and a little SPOILER:

The hover dam is the last place you are visiting,probably you have less than 30 minutes of gameplay to complete the game!
:dukecry:

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

That's the best Duke game after 3d ?
No way man Time to kill was much better.
Oh and a little SPOILER:

The hover dam is the last level!
:dukecry:

Well I mean I killed the second Battlelord I guess Im still on the dam, its big so.
As for Time to Kill being better, you cant be serious, I love that game but Zero Hour is better and DNF mashes both of them. Sorry you were dissapointed, Im not.

I dont care about spoilers, I already "spoiled" most of the game by following it too closely for so long.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 11 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

View PostRipemanewone, on 11 June 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

Well I mean I killed the second Battlelord I guess Im still on the dam, its big so.
As for Time to Kill being better, you cant be serious, I love that game but Zero Hour is better and DNF mashes both of them. Sorry you were dissapointed, Im not.

I dont care about spoilers, I already "spoiled" most of the game by following it too closely for so long.

That might be because I managed to play Time to Kill on its original platform (ps1) at the time it came out, but I only played Zero Hour through an emulator about a decade later of its release. :dukecry:
Anyway,there have been better games from DNF on this franchise,and DNF really makes me think that didn't deserved the name "Duke". It's a very bad game to have that name on it.
I don't hate Duke,the contrary I love him and that's why I'd want something more from a Duke game.
Right now I still bother with DNF even by talking about it on forums because its just the second day I have it.
I already made my mind about it and it was disappointing IMO.
I'm going to restart Duke Nukem 3D from the beginning,and play it to the finish once more to detoxify myself from the thing that is called DNF and remind my self once again what the REAL DUKE is all about.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

User is offline   greyXstar 

Well, according to those design documents, alot of that stuff had barely been started and some of it hadn't been at all. Unless those 15 chapters are released as the first DLC like month from now, I think it's reasonable to think gbx just didn't finish them in time.

I made the exact same thread on the Escapist forums and they locked my thread. :dukecry:
I guess people shouldn't complain about false marketing.

User is offline   palan 

I also enjoy it till burger level.
After that the game simply sucks, there were some great ideas by GB and the DNF team, but it looks and feels unfinished and unpolished.
Guess Gearbox did not even bother to polish/FINISH those levels, they just fixed the game not to crash, and concentrated on making console ports.

SO YEAH THIS IS NOT WHAT WE FUCKING WAITED FOR 14 FUCKING YEARS.

SHAME ON YOU GEARBOX % 2K AND FUCK YOU!!!

User is offline   Guess Who 

View PostRipemanewone, on 11 June 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Seriously, what the fuck are you guys talking about the game rocks! And Im playing the watered down 360 version I cant wait to get it for my pc, so I can actually see the textures on the enemys.

Surely Im not such a fanboy that crap seems good? I played most of the Duke games this is by far the best one since 3D, sure its not 3D but play that if you want that total experience.

Im just after the Hover Dam, and its taken me over 8 hours already, I am looking around a bit and drinking and smoking so that adds a bit (of extra fun) but it doesnt seem short by any standard plus Im playing it on normal I will save hard for when I get pc version.

Damn guys its the most fun Ive had in a shooter since Riddick and FEAR in recent years, never has killing virtual things been so fun, bad ass game sorry some of you guys are feeling let down, its Duke true and true but with out the secret areas by magic walls which I have to admit is a letdown.

I love it and second half of game seem much better to me more Duke 3dish where as the first half is more Half-Life/Haloish but in a good way.

Fuck the 14 years its a game and a damn great one too, time will tell its already more memorable than nearly any fps out there, DNF FTW.

I agree with you man, I loved the game. I`ve finished in let`s rock in my x360 and I`m gonna play the harder levels on pc.
I also felt that the second half of the game was more Dukeish style.
I think it`s a great game, could be a lot better, but hey I don`t care, I was hoping to play a good Duke game. I wish only that from now on we could count on an awesome modern Duke game!

User is offline   palan 

View PostGuess Who, on 11 June 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

I wish only that from now on we could count on an awesome modern Duke game!

And hopefully next Duke game will be made on this engine:

User is offline   SavagE 

Alithinos said:

You really didn't had problems with the 2 weapon limitation ?
I had.

There was a level where the first room of it was full of enemies of a specific type,and the weapons I had with me weren't the ideal to use against them,leading me to death again and again.
I had to restart past level that I already completed so when I finish it I have the ideal weapons with me so I also get them on the next level,so I can pass that room.

You should REALLY stop bitching about the difficulty.

I'm surprised u got through 3d or crysis... If it's so hard for u set the difficulty for 'piece of cake' :dukecry: I personally died/got stuck the most while platforming or solving puzzles - damn, I hate those valve puzzles!

And the rest of you? Randy said many times, that Triptych essentially completed SP campaign, and all they did was optimizing, polishing and adding multiplayer. I havent read any MP-regarding comments - forgot about it? Maybe they cut out some levels to save it for dlc, that wouldnt be surprising. But as u may recall, usually cut out levels are much worse than the original ones - I've seen it many times.

I am nearing completion, and I am not sure I would want to play moar levels, because already some parts are boring and tedious.

Besides, Scott Miller recently said, that PRESENT DNF is "98% what 3DR intended to make". So yall really need to shut yourselves and be thankful to Pitchford that he brought Duke back from the grave.

Last, but not least - about the marketing - the trailers gearbox made are very well done and REALLY fitting the mood. Of course, I loved 2001 trailer. But to be honest, the arkenstone's music wasnt all that fitting, since DNF's isn't about serious world saving (as the trailer implies for the most part), but alien ass-kicking, pretty much in the literal sense. THere's more jokes as well this time around and unserious dialogues (which were completely absent in d3d).

What you SHOULD bitch about is GB, Scott, and whole ex-3DR team. They tried to make a modern military shooter with a duke feel to it. The Doom 3 look doesnt suit the visuals, the exteriors look REALLY poor, textures are blurry, and some animations are totally laughable. Just stand in front of a mirror and see the jump animation. Even the gibs are bugged! THe level desing is often poor, puzzles more than plenty. They essentially made a corridor shooter littered with puzzles. The times when u can come back through the level are really rare and usually consist of a couple of rooms. I've read someone bitching about duke's statue being an older model - WHO FRIGGIN CARES? Most wont even notice, since they look very much alike. There are blurry as hell textures and he's complaining about the statue... There is an issue with depth of field as well. The physics engine is kind of broken too - you can pick up barrels, but small boxes not? Why? THe weapons are TOTALLY underpowered at times, especially the devastator. It should devastate, but instead it takes like 3-4 (2 rockets with one shot!) shots at a pigcop to kill it. THe Colt should be a toy but most surprisingly it can often kill piggie much faster than devastator... And where the hell did Golden Deagle go? I've read there is an achievement for golden pistol, but not sure what it is...

ANd what about the framerate? Doom 3, which is alike in graphics BUT MUCH BETTER runs perfectly smooth at highest settings. This ugly piece of turd does not. I ran Crysis 2 on the highest settings, with a similar performance as Forever. Consider that.

What's more, DNF was supposed to introduce a new level of interactiveness within a game. It did not. Sure, it has some coin-ups other games and stuff. You can throw frisbee or paper plane from time to time. Other than that the environment is indestructible for the most part and things glued to the surface. This is very disappointing. I can recall, that Deus Ex FRIGGIN ONE was had much moar interactivity than Forever. Sad story.

Dunno about the MP quality, gonna hit it soon and check how did piranha do!

There is one thing that constantly bothers me - Duke Forever looks like a game that could be completed, with medium-sized team, within a year, with much better graphics. Two years maximum. I was surprised it took gearbox so much time to ship the game, giving it was nearly completed... Wonder how many ppl works at piranha games then ; D

Glad the DNF is finally out, now they can make a great sequel in something like 2 years.

View Postpalan, on 11 June 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

And hopefully next Duke game will be made on this engine:

this engine is intended for future consoles, for those who doesn't see it. CliffyB already stated that long time ago.

PS. Wow this post is looong ^^

This post has been edited by SavagE: 11 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

For all we know, TT could have been pushing for an earlier release. That was the reason for them suing 3DR -- they failed to release a product (or it seemed that they failed to release a product since they closed down the dev studio). GBX also kind of blew their load at PAX and that is probably why the game may feel rushed to some people. They couldn't keep quiet and either didn't want to or couldn't (per their contract with TT) delay a release beyond, say, holiday this year. They really just wanted to finish the game so you can't blame them for the rush.
However, if what is said above about cinematics or dialog making mention of parts of the game not included in the game is true, that is something you can rightfully scold GBX et al for since they should have done a better job of covering their tracks.

Also, I'm not sure this section of the forum has a rule about spoilers. I know GBX forum has sections for spoilers, but I see no such barrier here. The spoiler tag is there for a reason.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 11 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

User is offline   SavagE 

about spoilers - randy said, that the demo included levels that contained the least amount of story and spoilers. And then I went - WHAT story? xD Duke comes to save the day, simple as that. THere havent been any plot twists since level one.

User is offline   trustn0! 

I enjoyed the game for what its worth but it is definetly a major dissapointment over what could have been.
Years of wasted development and millions spent on an unfullfilled dream
They forgot what made the original DN3D awesome and decided to just stick on whatever was popular hoping they can get some success out of it
As it stands the game is just a pure cash cow for 2K.They only fund Gearbox and Piranha for the final touches,spend another 10 million in marketing or more.They have already written off the costs they spent the last few years for the game.
If the game sells about 2 million copys thats about 100 million for 2K and lets not forget the DLC that they are gonna milk out of the game.
As a business perspective the game is a miracle.They will literraly make million for doing nothing.This offers Gearboix the oportunity to focus on BIA, Aliens(another project thought to be vaporware) and potentially Borderlands 2.
However now that Gearbox has the IP it definetly doesnt want to let it be wasted
They will make a sequel i can guarantee that.And we can only hope that the design decision they decided to make with DNF will be thrown out the window and focus back on what made the original DN3D great
We love Duke and he deserved alot better that this.

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

View PostDescent, on 11 June 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Weren't many of those levels scrapped? Any others highly incomplete, or not started at all?

they said 95% of the game was done so it is debatable as to if they were in the game or not, word is gearbox cut stuff because the console could not run it probably just a poorly made put together engine if that is true probably hard to mod unreal to the point where it works perfect on 360 if you get to a certain point.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Man I finished this game in 2 days of playing..
And that with loosing many lives and trying again and again.
It's nothing like 4 or 5 Call of Duties Randy said in Pax.
It's a Fiasco.

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

Yeah they might said what you wrote,but Randy also clearly said that the final game would be like 5 or 6 Call of Duties.
And he lied. DNF is the second shortest game I played in my life.

No no NO! First you claim Randy said "4 or 5" Call of Duties, then you claim he said "5 or 6."

In actuality, Randy said it was about 3.

Now this is obviously only if you try to find all the secret areas, and interact and get the ego boost from every single object, and probably on a harder difficulty with you dying several times. The point is, make sure you have the correct information from a quote when you're quoting someone, otherwise it makes you look dumb :dukecry:

User is offline   SavagE 

one of the main reasons COD games are so short is that the do not include puzzles. If u would take out all the puzzles from dnf and dumb down the difficulty a bit I am pretty sure it would take something like 5 to six hours to complete it. Which equals call of duty.

"cutting is shipping." maybe thats what george meant? i could be wrong

This post has been edited by duke4everman: 11 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

View Postduke4everman, on 11 June 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

"cutting is shipping." maybe thats what george meant? i could be wrong

when did he say that :/

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ages ago. Before the lawsuit. Just before, actually.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

The final game isn't 6gb but more.
6 gb is the content inside the game's disc and Steam downloads the rest of the game after you activate it.

Steam's playable game directory is 6,2 Gb.

But even with the downloaded from Steam files,the game still is less than 10gb,which means that about 6gb more are missing. :dukecry:
And I really think the same with you,that they cut them out to release them extra as dlc.

You can't compare development directory and RTM version size. You just can't, they aren't the same. Also, where is that info about 16GB coming from? I vaguely remember maximum 12GB perhaps.

This post has been edited by Helel: 11 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

View PostgreyXstar, on 11 June 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

Well, according to those design documents, alot of that stuff had barely been started and some of it hadn't been at all. Unless those 15 chapters are released as the first DLC like month from now, I think it's reasonable to think gbx just didn't finish them in time.

the 3rd DLC is called 15 single player maps from the docs hidden in the demo /SIGH also to the guy below design docs are not marketing those were for INTERNAL USE ONLY!!!!! that way if they did not make it in the game no one would get pissed and make threads like this :/

View PostGuess Who, on 11 June 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

I agree with you man, I loved the game. I`ve finished in let`s rock in my x360 and I`m gonna play the harder levels on pc.
I also felt that the second half of the game was more Dukeish style.
I think it`s a great game, could be a lot better, but hey I don`t care, I was hoping to play a good Duke game. I wish only that from now on we could count on an awesome modern Duke game!

I wouldn't care that much for top notch graphics.
My hope for a future DN isn't that it will rock on the graphics department.

But that it will have the core elements that made me love Duke Nukem 3d.

What are those ?

1) Non linear complex levels with multiple routes
2) Lots of secret rooms in each level
3) Secret levels
4) Health percentage and healthpacks
5) Duke being able to carry all weapons
6) A large variety of levels 30~40
7) An editor for modding.

Basically what I would like to see is a game that would play like DN3D,but with better graphics,new levels,new guns,new items,new modes etc..
You can go on and call me a DN3D fanboy,or say that I'm stuck in the past..
Yeah I am stuck in the past.
DN3D made me feel in such a way that I'd like to feel again,and because I liked that I want to feel it again.
And somebody now might think to say to me "then go on and play DN3D and stop whining!"
But my answer to that would be this:
It can be done.
Nintendo does it decades now.
Their weak consoles sell just because of two franchises Mario and Zelda.
And the reason people want to play these games so much is because Nintendo knows how to make sequels,and by that I mean that they know how to add new features in their games without changing the basic
gameplay of them,and without changing the feeling you have while you play them.

That's the key: Make a sequel that feels and plays the same as its predecessor and if you are about to add a new feature make sure that it doesn't kill the basic main experience and feel of the series.

That's why DNF didn't satisfied me but disappointed me.
Because DNF's gameplay is so different than DN3D.

1) Health regeneration - HALO
2) 2 weapons limit - HALO
3) Iron sights - Call of Duty
4) QTEs - God of War

Come on..

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 12 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

User is offline   SavagE 

like there were any iron sights. The rail gun's scope doesnt count.

and mario is a very different experience than it was i nes era.

This post has been edited by SavagE: 12 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

User is offline   ashura252 

I can't be bothered arguing with most of your points, yet you do have a good argument there, that nintendo have been doing the same things with their games over and over to keep an audience. (Whether they have WEAK consoles that rely on TWO franchises is very much WRONG though)
Just one thing:

View PostAlithinos, on 12 June 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

That's why DNF didn't satisfied me but disappointed me.
Because DNF's gameplay is so different than DN3D.

1) Health regeneration - HALO
2) 2 weapons limit - HALO
3) Iron sights - Call of Duty
4) QTEs - God of War

Come on..

Most of these things are nowhere near exclusive to those games.
I'll give you the Halo comparisons..
but for one thing, God of War? wtf?!
And.... DNF doesn't HAVE iron sights. It has the zoom function, similar to Doom 3 and older FPS games.

lol, just realised I haven't used these boards at all since the redesign O_O

This post has been edited by ashura252: 12 June 2011 - 03:50 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

You really didn't had problems with the 2 weapon limitation ?
I had.

There was a level where the first room of it was full of enemies of a specific type,and the weapons I had with me weren't the ideal to use against them,leading me to death again and again.
I had to restart past level that I already completed so when I finish it I have the ideal weapons with me so I also get them on the next level,so I can pass that room.

It was so annoying..

Health regeneration isn't that bad.
What is bad is that the enemies are far harder and your weapons far weaker.
A melee attack from the pig looses about 70% to 90% of your health (ego),and pigs are fast,and the game throws you packs of them too often.
It's just trial and error for the most part.
You will loose one life when the game throws you 4-5 pigs out of nowhere,and after you die you will know where they will appear so you go prepared.
It's frustrating.
And that's on medium difficulty.

As someone suggested, the problem is that you simply suck. Don't get me wrong; I hate the 2-weapon limit and the health regen system but they don't really make the game difficult. DNF is harder than most games these days but it's still pretty easy.

ashura252 said:

DNF doesn't HAVE iron sights. It has the zoom function, similar to Doom 3 and older FPS games.

Which sucks. Iron sights would've been an improvement.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 12 June 2011 - 03:51 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostSavagE, on 11 June 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

Besides, Scott Miller recently said, that PRESENT DNF is "98% what 3DR intended to make".

If he is referring to 3DR's intent with the game in the earlier years, then he's lying through his teeth.
Either that, or Broussard & co have been pulling the wool over our eyes from the very beginning.
It's hard to believe the latter though, since a lot of DNF's concessions to current gameplay practices weren't even present at the time and Half-Life wasn't released yet.

I'd like to see a source for that quote by Miller, BTW.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 June 2011 - 03:49 AM, said:

As someone suggested, the problem is that you simply suck. Don't get me wrong; I hate the 2-weapon limit and the health regen system but they don't really make the game difficult. DNF is harder than most games these days but it's still pretty easy.

I said that the game is "Trial and error".
That means that somebody will most likely loose a life the first time he will come up to some scripted events,because he couldn't guess what's next.
After you loose one or two lives,you then know what enemies will show up and where and you go prepared and pass the point easily.
The game is hard until you know how many and what enemies will show up and when and where,and already have a clear image of the area they appear on,and you know exactly where are points to cover there and where weapons are. Until you get to know all that stuff so you know exactly when you move on what to do,it's hard. Only after you learn all that you can pass from certain points.

That's trial and error.
And most of people that played the game admit that they loose too many lives,does that mean that everybody sucks ?
You have seen how fast pig cops,especially the unarmed ones run around don't ya ?
When you walk in a room and you hit the trigger that the game has there to spawn 4 or 5 of those pigs around you from different directions and all of them storm to you,and you only can shoot one pig at a time while pigs can hit you all together in the same time,and each hit of their melee attack loose 80% of your life,it's difficult.

There where moments that I lost lives in less than 10 seconds since the checkpoint loaded.
Even if I sucked much,there should also be another reason why I happen to die so quick in some occasions.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 12 June 2011 - 04:32 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostAlithinos, on 12 June 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

I said that the game is "Trial and error".
That means that somebody will most likely loose a life the first time he will come up to some scripted events,because he couldn't guess what's next.
After you loose one or two lives,you then know what enemies will show up and where and you go prepared and pass the point easily.

That's trial and error.

I'm familiar with the concept. Have you played Mirror's Edge? That game is based on the trial & error method. DNF is not, except maybe with respect to bosses and even with them it's made clear early on in the game that you can beat them with explosives. The turret segments also rely on this method a bit.

And most of people that played the game admit that they loose too many lives,does that mean that everybody sucks ?

Yes.

You have seen how fast pig cops,especially the unarmed ones run around don't ya ?
When you walk in a room and you hit the trigger that the game has there to spawn 4 or 5 of those pigs around you from different directions and all of them storm to you,and you only can shoot one pig at a time while pigs can hit you all together in the same time,and each hit of their melee attack loose 80% of your life,it's difficult.

I can't remember ever getting killed by a Pig Cop in this game. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but it certainly wasn't a problem.

User is offline   SavagE 

View PostX-Vector, on 12 June 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

If he is referring to 3DR's intent with the game in the earlier years, then he's lying through his teeth.
Either that, or Broussard & co have been pulling the wool over our eyes from the very beginning.
It's hard to believe the latter though, since a lot of DNF's concessions to current gameplay practices weren't even present at the time and Half-Life wasn't released yet.

I'd like to see a source for that quote by Miller, BTW.

hmm I thought yall here know this, but here it is:

Miller starts talking about Duke at 16:20.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

He's got Space Quest on his shelf!!!!! (21:30)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options