Duke4.net Forums: Dedicated Servers for PC - CONFIRMED! - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dedicated Servers for PC - CONFIRMED!

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Hey! Just because my generation is idiotic, doesn't mean we all are. I've got some people that I've actually taught some stuff to.

And probably at least half the people playing DNF are going to be... a bit older... so I don't think there'll be a problem with finding servers.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 08 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDerickVonD, on 08 June 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

For those with the experience to use them? Wtf, that makes it sound like most gamers are too stupid to know how to set a server up. Like they're trying to say "You can use dedicated severs but we aren't sure our fanbase knows how to use them."

Yes, that's correct--the average gamer is definitely far too stupid to configure a dedicated server. The average gamer nowadays likely couldn't even figure out how to change directories and run the games a lot of us grew up with. The simple concept of editing some configuration scripts and running something from a command prompt is so far beyond the average user now that it completely transgresses being "not even funny" and goes straight to "fucking pathetic." Sigh.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTX, on 08 June 2011 - 09:07 PM, said:

Yes, that's correct--the average gamer is definitely far too stupid to configure a dedicated server. The average gamer nowadays likely couldn't even figure out how to change directories and run the games a lot of us grew up with. The simple concept of editing some configuration scripts and running something from a command prompt is so far beyond the average user now that it completely transgresses being "not even funny" and goes straight to "fucking pathetic." Sigh.

p2p & port forwarding is so much easier, cause everyone knows how to port forward

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSpirrwell, on 08 June 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

Hey! Just because my generation is idiotic, doesn't mean we all are. I've got some people that I've actually taught some stuff to.

And probably at least half the people playing DNF are going to be... a bit older... so I don't think there'll be a problem with finding servers.

Good point! It's easy to lament about ignorance, but very view games have a wiki describing how to set up a server, or some description on how to go about it! Posted Image

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostDescent, on 08 June 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

Yeah I loved how technical PC gaming used to be. I bankrupted myself TWICE as a teenager building new computers, because I loved fucking with fresh hardware, new games, and kept running out of space to store pictures of penises cats.

Tweaking the shit out of .ini files. Huge Intel/AMD/ATi/nVidia fanboy debates with REAL anger and REAL hate. Omega Drivers. Mods. Mod tools. Free mods that weren't so good. Free mods that RAWKED. Did I mention mods?

It's sad what gaming has become. Capitalist bullshit that people suck down cause they don't know any better.
Hell yeah... I ran Quake servers for years. At one point I had every console command memorized. I ran three modems (cause I didn't have digital line options back then) and had scripts to load balance the modems with LAN clients to make it more fair. We could play 3 on the lines and 7 in the house. Good times. :dukecry:

Directory? What is a directory? You mean like a folder? (hehehe, don't you hate that crap?)
DelTree all the way! I still have several versions of DOS archived aside from MS DOS. I have a Novell server (4.11) without running directory services! Yep... all my DOS, Win3.11, Win95/98 machines can see each others drives through the server if desired. Awesome system. :D

I am sure we sound like elitists to many, but it is what it is. <sigh>

Actually, I am so old, I wrote (programmed) the first spreadsheet I ever used... on a Commodore 64. I had never heard of one before, but I wrote a single screen grid x-y program that would run simple maths. I used array functions to store both visual and functional data in the same cell.
Then someone showed me the little program called Lotus 123 for the PC type computers... I bought it immediately (version 1.0a) Was on one 3.5" floppy disk.

Anyway... I took the Dedicated server thing as a bit harsh too.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostSpirrwell, on 08 June 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

You are 14 right? You are technically a member of my generation. Technically.

There is a litmus test for Generation Y. If you run into anyone else, and want to start a conversation, you talk about the weather. There is another option with us.

"So how about that 90's Nickelodeon?"

"Fuck yeah, dude! Doug Funnie was THE MAN. Yo Quailman was bad ass. That nigga didn't take shit from anyone."

Now just keep talking about random shows for five minutes. The Angry Beavers? Rugrats? Family Double Dare? Take your pick.

You fail the litmus test. That's why you are only a member of my generation because sociologists say so.

Enjoy your shitty neo synthpop and emo vampires.

• tile 1018

View PostDescent, on 08 June 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

You are 14 right? You are technically a member of my generation. Technically.

There is a litmus test for Generation Y. If you run into anyone else, and want to start a conversation, you talk about the weather. There is another option with us.

"So how about that 90's Nickelodeon?"

"Fuck yeah, dude! Doug Funnie was THE MAN. Yo Quailman was bad ass. That nigga didn't take shit from anyone."

Now just keep talking about random shows for five minutes. The Angry Beavers? Rugrats? Family Double Dare? Take your pick.

You fail the litmus test. That's why you are only a member of my generation because sociologists say so.

Enjoy your shitty neo synthpop and emo vampires.

I'm fifteen. I grew up playing Quake I, and one particular server called CustomTF. I practically owe almost everything I know about computers to those guys. I was first opened up to the world of programming at eight years old. I remember Doug Funnie, Beavis and Butt-head, and such, my older brothers showed me those things. I'm a much bigger fan of classics than of moderns. For example, with most people you give them a cellphone and you tell them to text, they text, if you gave a cellphone to text, I would have a terrible time trying to. I understand you're generation better than I do my own.

Anyway, dedicated servers... unsupported dedicated servers... I wonder what's next... I mean besides the release of the game.

And you tell me that this is not solid proof that the new generations are being kept dumb on purpose.
There is no such thing as an entire fucking generation world wide to be natively stupider than us unless something seriously fucked up is happening with the human dna after each generation.
I certainly hope not because if the dna is degrading so fast with each generation, then by the time I reach 80, human kind will probably start giving birth to monkeys that just look like humans...
They are stupid because the "society" AIMS to keep them that way.
Stupid people are easy to control and they are also suckers that will buy anything.
This explains why both movies, music and games are shit today compared to what they were 10 and 20 years ago.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 08 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

• tile 1018

View PostMr.Deviance, on 08 June 2011 - 11:16 PM, said:

And you tell me that this is not solid proof that the new generations are being kept dumb on purpose.
There is no such thing as an entire fucking generation world wide to be natively stupider than us unless something seriously fucked up is happening with the human dna after each generation.
I certainly hope not because if the dna is degrading so fast with each generation, then by the time I reach 80, human kind will probably start giving birth to monkeys that just look like humans...
Stupid people are easy to control and they are also suckers that will buy anything.
This explains why both movies, music and games are shit today compared to what they were 10 and 20 years ago.

We're all born with DNA. DNA is like a bunch of codes, like if statements. If a certain environmental factor meets, your DNA will do this, if it doesn't, it will do that. Humans, and other external influences, as well as specific internal influences, they all like re-programming and re-compiling so fast that the process is so slow. Basically in a way, we're walking computers with will. There's nothing wrong with DNA. Times are changing, so we're changing.

User is offline   zwieback 

this post is awesome sir, because it's the truth.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

It has nothing to do with the IQ of an entire generation. It's just that gaming is so much more mainstream now that a large majority aren't interested in the technical end of things and also that you no longer need that to play games on a PC.

Edit: You could as easily just replace gaming with PC use in general above.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 09 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Your logic is flawed, movies and music in the 80's were so terrible nothing has approached it yet. The 80's was a cultural wasteland so devoid of actual art and talent that nostalgia is a requirement to enjoy that decade. Ever notice how only Generation X seems to enjoy it? That's because their balls dropped during it.

Besides, if you've looked at data, the average level of intelligence and college graduates per generation has been steadily increasing for a long time now, and it started rapidly increasing with the Baby Boomers and skyrocketed with Generation X. We are younger, but our college attendance rate is the highest yet, so in ten years we will hold that crown. And in sixty years we'll be dumb as shit too.

Furthermore, you can't keep people stupid with crappy culture. Like I said before, look at Generation X. They grew up in the 80's and as a whole I think they are pretty smart, as do sociologists. If you want to hate on someone hate on Boomers, they are selfish, stubborn, extremely short sighted, dishonest, materialistic teenagers with grey hair. They are destroying our country and your generations future, and they just don't give a shit.

The youth aren't getting dumber. You are getting older. Did you see South Park last night?

This post has been edited by Descent: 09 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostParkar, on 09 June 2011 - 05:18 AM, said:

Edit: You could as easily just replace gaming with PC use in general above.

It's not like that isn't truth either

Perhaps it also has to do with the increase of users, but the average gamer/PC user/whatever isn't exactly the clever type

View PostDescent, on 09 June 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

Your logic is flawed, movies and music in the 80's were so terrible nothing has approached it yet. The 80's was a cultural wasteland so devoid of actual art and talent that nostalgia is a requirement to enjoy that decade. Ever notice how only Generation X seems to enjoy it? That's because their balls dropped during it.
That may be true, but I don't think that 80's musics had a problem of creation quality standards, but rather simply bad taste.

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Games in the 80s were fantastic. And I'm not talking consoles. As far as gamers today not being as smart as they were before, that's completely true. Back in the 80s and 90s the only people that owned personal computers were people who were interested in computers. When computer games came along that was a bonus. But since it was for a specific audience it catered to the intelligence level of computer users. I remember those old pamphlets that explained how to create a boot disk for the game you just bought. I remember when Wolfenstein 3D first came out and PC gamers everywhere were complaining that it appealed to the lowest common denominator because it was just violence with very little thinking involved. Everyone was into adventure games back then (my personal bread and butter). Many old-school PC gamers attribute the death of intelligence to FPS's that promoted a "console-like" gaming approach.

Then the Shooter generation took over around the Win95/98 days and left the old generation in the dust. 3D was budding and looked like garbage but was still considered "state of the art." RTS, FPS, and other arcade-esque games were the norm. We stated seeing PC games appear on consoles and console games appear on PCs, but they were still mostly their own worlds. Now THAT generation is left in the dust. Times have definitely changed twice over. It's interesting to have been here all this time witnessing all of it. Everyone complains that Oblivion was nothing like Morrowind, but many complained that Morrowind was nothing like Daggerfall etc. We as a community of gamers are definitely dumber than we were. And it's just getting worse. Hopefully we somehow return to that high level intelligence community of computer geeks we used to be who knew all the ins and outs, tricks and shortcuts to fixing a gaming problem. We're already kind of seeing that with the DNF demo getting hacked and torn apart lol.

I worry about my daughter right now. She's only 16 months old and I fear all the crap gaming she has ahead of her in the future.

As such, I have a Tandy RL (8086 on crack for us old folks) with an RGB monitor and a mechanical keyboard setup in my office next to my primary gaming rig. I also have a 286 (with a Paradise VGA card and an original Adlib) ready to be put in place and a dedicated DOS gaming rig with a real AWE-32 and Voodoo 2 card (for much older games) sitting in it. I also have some old Gravis joysticks ready to replay Wing Commander and other oldschool classics.

On my primary gaming rig I have a Roland MT-32 hooked up to it. Yeah, the real thing. I never could afford one of those when I was a kid so it is surreal finally having one sitting next to me. I use it all the time to play DOS classics like Space Quest 3, Police Quest (hell, any Sierra adventure), Zeliard, Firehawk--you name it. It is awesome.

I also have all my original Atari 2600 games, Neo Geo and Super Nintendo games/systems. I even have a Sega Master System lying around.

I remember sitting on BBS's on my 2400 bps modem, waiting 1.5 hours for Wolfenstein 3d to download after asking for extra time because my quota only allowed for one hour. I then shat my pants after the Germans shouted at me in German. They talked! I wasn't as impressed graphically by it as Ultima Underworld, but it was the start of a new era. The first game I played on the internet was Mechwarrior 2. It had a built in IQ test that required you setup a DOS-based PPP-dialer to hook up to your ISP. You had to mess with config files, etc. It kept all the idiots out of the community, that is for sure.

So yeah, I'm old. I'm also a total nerd. But I'll be darned if my kid grows up with all this spoonfed crap--she's going to be hardcore and grow up playing the old stuff if I can help it.

Thank goodness DNF has dedicated server support.

This post has been edited by Mr_Blastman: 09 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Woohoo for the MT-32!! I have one myself. Always meaning to get a second one to chain them together for extra polyphony but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also have a CM-500 (which is an MT-32 and an SC-55 in one box), which is what I use to record all the SC-55 game soundtracks with.

Sitting next to my main rig I have a Pentium 233 MMX with a Voodoo 1 card and a Matrox Mystique. Great for Win95/98 games that don't work on XP/Vista/7. Been playing through Jedi Knight again recently. Miss those green-screen live action cinematics! I also have a 486 DX2 66 sitting next to that with an AWE32 and a Music Quest MIDI card to connect to my MT-32/CM-500. Got it pimped out with a 6.4 GB HDD for my entire DOS gaming library. I visit Value Village regularly and find old CD-ROM game gems for DOS. I found unopened, mint-condition, boxed copies of Duke3D Atomic, Duke Xtreme, and DukeZone! for $3 each!

Long live classic PC gaming.

Also still have all my older consoles. NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, N64, GameCube, and PSX. Still looking for a cheap or free PS2. My brother has a Dreamcast that he never uses. I'm still trying to bribe it from him.

Hehe I've been meaning to pick up a SC-55 at some point (love your music packs, btw) for that odd DOS generation of games (the 1993ish-1995) where everything was general midi. I'd love to play through System Shock 1 on a Sound Canvas just for giggles. The CM-500 sound intriguing.

When I bought my MT-32 it took over a year solid of bidding on Ebay before I won one. They're not hard to find on there but they get bid up quickly. The SC-55's I usually find go for around 150 bucks or so. One day I'll get one. :dukecry: About the only thing I'm sad my MT-32 doesn't have (it is a first gen, btw which is necessary for the older Sierra titles) is the CM-32L chip in it for extra sound effects (used in games like Ultima Underworld). No big deal though.

Man I love all this old crap. My wife hates it, but, I don't care. :D I always tell her she could be worse off if she had married a guy that watches sports 24/7 or goes out drinking at bars.

User is offline   Stabs 

Duke Nukem Forever Dedicated Servers
====================================

The Usual Disclaimer
====================

The creation, maintenance and continued support of PC dedicated servers is not something that Piranha Games, Gearbox Software or 2k Games provides support for. All Dedicated Server features are provided without warranty and without support. It can, will, may consume huge amounts of bandwidth and cause the detioration and eventual failure of the hardware on which it runs.

Launching a Dedicated Server
============================

1. Open cmd.exe via the Start Menu:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008:
		Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the search box, press enter.

Otherwise:
		Click Start, Click Run, enter cmd.exe and press enter.

2. Browse to the Duke Nukem Forever System Folder:

In the cmd Window that has opened, enter:

c:
		cd "\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\duke nukem forever\System"

Note that this path may be slightly different depending on where you installed Steam and your version of Windows.
	If you're running a Dedicated Server it should be presumed you're savvy enough with your PC to be able to find it.

3. Run Duke Nukem as a Dedicated Server

The format for options is as follows:

DukeForever.exe -server MapName?Options -myservername="ServerName"

For example:

DukeForever.exe -server DM-MorningWood?Game=dnGame.dnDeathmatchGame?Mutator=None?FragLimit=50?RoundTimeLimit=600 -myservername="This Server Is Best Server"

The allowed options are detailed below.

Game Types
==========

These are the available game types as applied to the "Game" option on the dedicated server.

1. Duke Match
	dnGame.dnDeathmatchGame

2. Team Duke Match
	dnGame.dnDeathmatchGame_TeamDM

3. Hail to the King
	dnGame.dnKingOfTheHill

4. Capture the Babe
	dnGame.dnCaptureTheBabe

Game Type Options
=================

Each game type has a suite of options which may be used to configure the match.

For the following the octothorpe represents an Integer value.

1. Duke Match
	FragLimit=#       - The number of frags to play the match to
	RoundTimeLimit=#  - The number of seconds the match will last

2. Team Duke Match
	GoalTeamScore=#   - The maximum team score to play the match to

3. Hail to the King
	GoalTeamScore=#   - The maximum team score to play the match to

4. Capture the Babe
	CaptureLimit=#    - The number of captures to play the match to

Mutators
========

These can be applied to any game type in order to provide some additional variation to the match.

1. Heavy Weapons
	dnGame.dnMutator_Heavy

2. Infinite Ammo
	dnGame.dnMutator_InfiniteAmmo

3. Knuckle Sandwich
	dnGame.dnMutator_Knuckle

4. Railguns Only
	dnGame.dnMutator_InstaGib

5. Shotgun Only
	dnGame.dnMutator_Shotgun

Map Rotation
============

There are currently two forms of map rotation available: Repeat and Random. Repeat will continuously cycle the map supplied via the command line, whereas Random will first play the map supplied on the command line, then randomly cycle through all maps available. Each random cycle will progress through all maps available once, then the random cycle repeats indefinitely.

The default rotation is Random, and the rotation may be configured via:

?Rotation=Random

or

?Rotation=Repeat

Max Players
===========

Sorry, but Duke is limited to fragging eight at a time. You can configure this with:

?MaxPlayers=8

Where 8 is 2 through 8.

Maps
====

DM-BuckeyeBurger
DM-Casino
DM-Construction
DM-HighwayNoon
DM-Hive
DM-Hollywood
DM-HooverDamned
DM-Industrial
DM-MorningWood
DM-VegasRuins

does this confuse you?!?!

This post has been edited by DanM: 09 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Nope, it looks good. Easier than expected, because of documentation.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDescent, on 09 June 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

The youth aren't getting dumber. You are getting older. Did you see South Park last night?

No. I was watching hockey.
Still I resent the 'old' comment. Learning is a daily process, methinks. You are old (over the hill) when stop learning. With technology evolving exponentially, what you think you know today is an old hat tomorrow. If you think you knew how to set up a server in 1999 it may be different in 2011.

@ Mr. Blastman - my dad tried to teach me the old ways Posted Image - well - ehmm - just a thought.

User is offline   Smilecythe 

Great news !!!

btw, cookies for me ? :dukecry:
Posted Image
(kickass for ps3 missing, bought to friend)

!yabbbaaa

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

How in the name of FUCKS would dedicated servers deteriorate your computer?

View PostDavoX, on 09 June 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

How in the name of FUCKS would dedicated servers deteriorate your computer?

Maybe causing too much heat because of memory leak or using too much cpu because of bugs?

View PostHank, on 09 June 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

@ Mr. Blastman - my dad tried to teach me the old ways Posted Image - well - ehmm - just a thought.

Just because they didn't all stick doesn't mean it was a complete waste of time. I'd rather say I tried than say I didn't. :dukecry:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostSpirrwell, on 08 June 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

I'm fifteen. I grew up playing Quake I, and one particular server called CustomTF.

Heh, that was always my favorite modified version of TF when I was 15 as well. I had an awesome HWGuy/Medic hybrid build that got me to the top of the scoreboard (and kept me there) 9 times out of 10. Nobody even considers the idea of a self-healing HWGuy when setting up their defenses, and as soon as the version came out that added the armor regeneration ability you could buy I was pretty much unstoppable.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 June 2011 - 08:55 AM, said:

Woohoo for the MT-32!! I have one myself. Always meaning to get a second one to chain them together for extra polyphony but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also have a CM-500 (which is an MT-32 and an SC-55 in one box), which is what I use to record all the SC-55 game soundtracks with.

Sitting next to my main rig I have a Pentium 233 MMX with a Voodoo 1 card and a Matrox Mystique. Great for Win95/98 games that don't work on XP/Vista/7. Been playing through Jedi Knight again recently. Miss those green-screen live action cinematics! I also have a 486 DX2 66 sitting next to that with an AWE32 and a Music Quest MIDI card to connect to my MT-32/CM-500. Got it pimped out with a 6.4 GB HDD for my entire DOS gaming library. I visit Value Village regularly and find old CD-ROM game gems for DOS. I found unopened, mint-condition, boxed copies of Duke3D Atomic, Duke Xtreme, and DukeZone! for $3 each!

Long live classic PC gaming.

Also still have all my older consoles. NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, N64, GameCube, and PSX. Still looking for a cheap or free PS2. My brother has a Dreamcast that he never uses. I'm still trying to bribe it from him.

Okay, I'm probably going to get flamed for this one. But wow. WOOOOOW! I just heard MT-32 music for the first time on YouTube and I gotta say, this sounds phenomenal. And this is coming from a diehard FM guy, I actually hand pick SB16's with dedicated OPL3 chips.

How much one would one of these cost me? I want one. On to the part that'll really get me flamed.

I've never really gotten into the Wing Commander/Star Wars DOS games. It's not like I've never tried, I've actually bought boxed copies of Wing Commander and X-Wing on two different occasions but both were missing a disk. I have experience with Star Raiders for the Atari 800, and FreeSpace. Dear God, do I love FreeSpace. I love it so much that I'm up to the final mission on Insane difficulty, have lost 20 times and I'm not giving up yet. The dirty, filthy, perverted sexual acts I would do to make FreeSpace 3 a reality can not be discussed on this forum. I'd practically risk my life over it.

After seeing all this extra footage, there's no way I'm experiencing these games without an MT-32.

Also, do the Wing Commander games run too fast on modern Pentiums? I have a P-200 and I'm installing a downclocking switch soon.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, the MT-32 is definitely a gem. And so many games supported it/were written specifically for it. I got mine on EBay for about $150 CAD. That was a few years back, though. I don't know what it's like now. The MT-32 is an invaluable synth for DOS gaming. I consider it better than the General MIDI-driven SC-55, personally. It's unique in that (with it's LA synthesis approach) one can program custom timbres to make custom instruments and sound effects. Many game companies utilized this quite effectively. With General MIDI you're stuck with the sounds programmed into it.

Some other external models that utilized the LA-style synth in the same line are the CM-32L and the CM-64. Which were basically control-less versions of the MT-32 but which sound a little differently. CM just stands for Computer Music. You can also get an ISA internal card equivalent called the LAPC-I.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

Jesus Christ that is too rich for my blood. $150? I can't seem to find any of the equivalent models either. I'd really like an LAPC-I.

Can you get these anywhere besides eBay? There are Buy It Now options in the hundreds of dollars.

This post has been edited by Descent: 09 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm really not sure. Sometimes there are spurts of popularity and there are a whole bunch of them available for like $80 or less. I've seen one go for around $50 at one point. It's hit and miss.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options